Any folks here re-purposing ancient Android devices ??

Discussion in 'Android' started by smallhagrid, Sep 13, 2021.

1. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    I'm asking because I've got several devices in great condition which have been sitting around for a while...
    (Please don't tell me to trash these things - I know how to do that already !!)

The saddest of them is an Impression I10 tablet with version 2.3.1;
    I had gotten this way back when I hardly knew anything about Android at all, then found out that even GB apps wouldn't run on it - but it is a gorgeous old thing with lots of ports, etc. - that I cannot find any good way to re-use (except maybe as a BIG paperweight ?!?).
    ((I'd love to have a really old version of VLC which might allow it to display the stream from a wifi cam...)

On the opposite end of the size scale are our old LG L38C phones with Android version 2.3.6.
    Rugged (but tiny) workhorses - easily rooted, great as MP3 players, and can run a few useful apps (like Localphone) - but not much else as most everything wants newer OS versions.

There was a time when Apkpure listed way old apps - but not anymore it seems.

So this thread is made in hopes of 2 possible directions from other members here, please:
    1 - Any highly recommended uses & apps for such super-old OS versions ??
    2 - Any site that keeps & shares really old versions of APKs ??

Thanks for any helpful replies !!

2. vladnil

vladnil MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2019
    Загрузка.jpg

You're a lucky man to have equipment without telemetry and surveillance

and now install another 56 kb\seconds modem and you can attack the Pentagon.

you won't be tracked

because of the weak data flow on the 56 kb network, you will become a black cloak flying on the wings of the night.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. NST_Adventure

NST_Adventure MDL Addicted

Jun 1, 2019
    Heh don't feel happy so fast

There is one more thing

Where you can download those old ancient app as op said? @vladnil

Best Regards
    NST_Adventure

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. JohnSG

JohnSG MDL Novice

Feb 9, 2014
    I don't think I have anything that old, but I did buy a bluetooth amp to reuse a LG K20 as a mp3 player for my motorcycle.

5. sml156

sml156 MDL Member

Sep 8, 2009
    #5 sml156, Oct 29, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  6. Sajjo

Sajjo MDL Member

Feb 6, 2018
    @sml156
    Cool setup, nice pictures.
    :)

7. mirchisait

mirchisait MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2021
    What a cool setup...

8. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    I agree 100% with those ^ folks - that is a really cool way to get around !!

My car is a 24 y/o Saab - so as that will show, certain preferences are all about quality rather than newness.
    Another soft spot for me is LG phones & my cellular uses are mostly on an LG Volt with Android 4.4.2;
    That is truly all I need - it will be very missed after the Sprint/T-mobile merger forces me to change phones.

9. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I do it exactly the other way around. I switched from an Asus and a 5.1.1 Android, to a redmi 9T, with android 11...
    Android 11 is continuosly interfering with my setups. I had set it to a wifi-only data download, but in spite of that the phone uses the voice-only simcard to download its important updates of Themes, and other such necessities... to my inquiry Xiami informed me that this cannot changed.
    As 11 is basically no better for my usages of a few phonecalls, listening to music and taking picture, but instead is stuffed with all kinds of (for me!) totally ridculous apps, I am now using the 5.1 phone again. I weighs half, is smaller, and has all the unecessary garbage removed, because it could be rooted in 5 minutes and sticks to my settings.
    The big heavy redmi 9T is used as a navi in the car, using "Navigator" offline software.

10. Danimal077

Danimal077 MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2012
    I have a Samsung 10.1 Android Tablet. I bought it way back when it was brand spank'n new to the market. I find the processing speed is deathly slow and would sure like to try to speed things up! Very rarely used, is still mint condition.
    Have been thinking of what I might be able to with it. Are there any other OSs that might go on to it successfully?

11. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @Danimal077

Scroll to the bottom of the Settings app, then select About Tablet and choose Software information. Take a screenshot of that page and post it here.

12. Danimal077

Danimal077 MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2012
    #12 Danimal077, Feb 5, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
    I did a firmware flash yesterday hoping it would speed it up but it's still very laggy!
    Any help is appreciated in any way!!!

Update: I just found a ROM flash for Android Nougat, going to try it.

Attached Files:

13. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  14. Danimal077

Danimal077 MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2012
    Yes, thanks! Once I started looking into a flash i was thoroughly unimpressed with those hardware numbers!

15. Kaldius

Kaldius MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2013
    Yes, mostly a lot of the lower end and smaller devices I use as webcams, to view the front door etc. One I use as a media box for my moms TV running Kodi.

16. sml156

sml156 MDL Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Ya that's an old phone not a heck of a lot you can do about speeding it up, Here is what I do on my phone in the picture above it's old and running Android 4.4.2

Boot into recovery mode and select Wipe data/factory reset, Do not save anything and do not let it reinstall any old app's you can reinstall stuff later yourself aftrer deleting as many preinstalled app's that you can

The only problem I encountered was finding a version of Google play store that was compatible with my Android version and what still works on the play store and side load it, older versions do not work well with the new play store.

I also use ADBshell and remove a lot of the bloatware that cannot be removed using the the APP's app

1recover.jpg

17. Danimal077

Danimal077 MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2012
    I was able to get Twrp 3.3.10 onto mine then put on Linage 14.1.
    Having the same trouble with gmail accounts and getting any play store apps I like on it.

18. sml156

sml156 MDL Member

Sep 8, 2009
    You might be running into your version of Android running certificates that are not supported any more, Not sure if that is fixable by installing TLS 1.2 or 1.3

19. Danimal077

Danimal077 MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2012
    Yes, I have been having trouble with google play store, and other apps installing. I'm going to read up on side loading and ADBshell.
    Thanks Everyone!

20. xrononautis

xrononautis MDL Senior Member

Mar 30, 2021
    #20 xrononautis, Feb 7, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
    I have an older Samsung S5 (G900F) and an Asus max pro (ZB602KL) both routed. I have removed every piece of junk out of them like even calendar syncing and such which I don't use and installed naptimes on the Asus. So even the battery last quite long.

The samsungs is being used as ebook reader. It has an amoled display and together with ChainFire's CF.lumen is ideal to use in pitch black rooms. The letters go red in low light while the background pixes remain shuted down. It just brilliant as ebook reader.
    The Asus is great as a mobile backup server. The display is just a normal IPS so not ideal for reading in the dark but it has a 5000mah battery. Although it has only 64GB of memory onboard it can see SD cards up to 2TB. I have currently a 512GB on it and I am using Syncthing to sync important folders from all other devices like the photos music and basically everything important enough to have one more backup..