Anyone leave Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by GOD666, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Aninvitedsoul

Aninvitedsoul MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2012

I was strongly against Win10 from it's early versions and updated to Anniversary version that was not good at all,so I went back to v.1511 Pro and I got used to it since it became very much satisfactory and easy to use.The OS is really good regarding responsiveness and stability.I evaluated the whole OS
    thoroughly.

I regret my early judgement and my late use of Win10.I have multi OSs on my laptop.I ended up using 10 rather than other systems.But I'm really much annoyed that MS went to far concerning collecting more private personal information.Forced updates is really is not acceptable in any way.They left us not much to choose though I had my own way to work around that and forced my personal choices that sautes me.Now it's really fine.I'm only using the things that I choose.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. melted

melted MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2015
    #182 melted, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    You all might laugh but for gamers SteamOS runs pretty well on compatible systems (To my surprise).
    But then again you can always just install the app on whatever OS you run as far as I know.

Aside from that and a bit off the topic: is there an all in one kill win10 telemetry type thread? I've looked all over and was overwhelmed
    with 20 or so posts open... Would be nice if someone got all the relevant info in one place, it would probably sway a lot of people that
    are apprehensive about installing it feel a bit more comfortable. Just my 2 cents.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  4. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @melted Welcome to MDL :welcome2: but if you want this you need search around the forum; I think that searching here don't cut your fingers ;)

5. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    #185 AeonX, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    This is curious. With me Anniversary version is much more fluid than previous versions and faster boot as well. Maybe because I started using it in UEFI mode but I do not know if it really makes a difference. It is generally faster and more responsive than Win 7 and 8.1 on my hardware.

My concern is Microsoft's policy of forcing things to users. If all the bloatware that came with the system was not enough, with Redstone 2 they started to merge the system packages making it difficult to remove components with the MSMG ToolKit for example. I'll stay on Win 10 LTSB 2016 as far as I can :p

6. melted

melted MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2015
    @Michaela Joy & Tiger-1: Thanks you two. :biggrin:
    The people and work here are amazing IMHO.
    (To answer the OP I didn't leave, just haven't been comfortable enough to get on board! :D)
    I had spent a good amount of time digging through all of the 10 related telemetry and all of the OS debloating etc threads and
    just ended up with so much data I never got it all together. Everyone here has been on top of it since the beta that the solutions and mods
    seem to change from version to version. I've come to the reality that if I try to chop down a current version and hopefully
    kill most of the telemetry that it's going to be an ongoing battle. Changing with every pushed update.
    I just don't like the fact that if you allow a machine running 10 that it's going to crawl your network and possibly use 7 to hop out on,
    and possibly use your bandwidth to push updates to people?? Seems like one of the best strategies against it would be at a
    firewall/router level. I have seen some constantly updated lists for firewalls that seem to keep up with the ip's in play,
    I'll post some info in the correct places if I get the info nailed down.

7. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @AeonX you are correct dude, I also can stay with Win 10 LTSB 2016 for a long long time of course after job with MSMG Toolkit 6.3 :)

8. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    I think that's the biggest problem.

Some tips is to remove packages is what I do with the MSMG ToolKit.

Other than that, there is so much information that I do not know what keeps working.

And since Windows now usually does not obey some group policies it is difficult to rely on any tweak that uses native Windows tools.

The most reliable is not connecting to the internet with Win 10 or using a well configured external firewall/router but it will be painful to keep the firewall rules for each update that comes out.

To not complicate my life I have left the paranoia aside and I am testing distros linux to go migrating slowly to another OS :)

9. z0d_aWP

z0d_aWP MDL Novice

Feb 3, 2016

I remember about the Xbox app removal causing blackscreen on bootup with TH2 that MSMG had to fix & then cortana Integration with search2 on Start with RS1 (although using classic shell will help, don't know whether search with that works or not), Could you let us know what has changed with the RS2 ?

10. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    RS2 is not out yet :D

11. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    The problem with removal of the cortana and search2 exists since the build 10240.
    But the search works with classic shell or startisback :)

The packages that I remember have changed are Onedrive and Windows Defender, the files have to be removed manually rather than using the Dism command. MSMG Toolkit does this. But Redstone 2 is insider preview then it is constantly changing, many things can change up to the final version.

12. wazzock

wazzock MDL Senior Member

Oct 22, 2016
    with reports of w7 working on kaby lake, never say never :)

13. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    I know I posted earlier in this thread that I'm not leaving windows 10, and I'm not, but I'm using linux a lot more lately. I dual boot and I use windows for windows-y stuff and linux for everything else. The amount of time and effort I have to put into making Windows 10 the way I want it to be is starting to become about the same amount of time I have to put into linux to make it the way I want it. The old argument of "linux is too hard" is beginning to be a moot point for me. Windows 10 to me is becoming just as hard as linux. The trick is to know the pros and cons of each OS and use each OS's strengths. And I have no problem with putting in the time to make windows 10 the way I want it, it's just that with every major update a lot of stuff changes and it's almost like starting all over again. The telemetry and unwanted packages is a moving target which takes a lot of time to deal with. I'm just really getting sick of MS's BS. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to watch a movie on linux where the audio doesn't crackle and I'm not sending all my data to a linux distro server somewhere (the NSA, yes, but not the distro maintainer).

14. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @pf100 I agree 100% you are totaly correct only see my sig you can have my certainty ;)

15. Jvelo7892

Jvelo7892 MDL Junior Member

Jan 2, 2009
    The 2 main reasons I use Windows 10 is that it supports the newer directx platform from what I was told (Honestly, I never really put out the effort to look in to this) and so I can learn how to navigate and use it so I can help friends, family and side-job customers to better understand the OS. The 3 main things I don't like are the forced telemetry (disabled it), forced updates (disabled them, enable them when i'm in the mood to update), and the shell. I'm going to try classic shell very soon. I prefer the more professional look, feel and options of Windows 7 (something that I feel is getting ignored), so I keep it installed on everything that isn't my home desktop. I use 7 for work, file storage box, laptops and garage PC. I'll agree with the going statement that W10 is definitely getting better, but I can't seem to get to 2nd base with it yet without feeling like i'm cheating on W7.

Take this as you see it, but keep in mind that opinions are like assholes; everybody has one. :)

Have A good one

16. daveo76

daveo76 MDL Expert

Nov 9, 2009
    You have to go back to Windows 10 eventually. Windows 7 isn't in main stream support anymore. One thing I liked about Windows 7 is it theme style and icons. Windows 10 is excellent for it performance and features.

17. z0d_aWP

z0d_aWP MDL Novice

Feb 3, 2016
    #197 z0d_aWP, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  18. z0d_aWP

z0d_aWP MDL Novice

Feb 3, 2016
    I'm not affected running Haswell, Plus It's a good thing, Instead of spy/ad laced B$ updates they send to the Old OSes it just won't do it. Plus I was thinking about the sad side which is when few % of the people see this scare tactic that might force them to upgrade to Win10, But yeah people who are on 7/8.1 + New HW already know how bad this Winblows X is.

19. xanadu73

xanadu73 MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2013
    In my view, a non-sense "processor incompliance" is a way to push users towards Windows 10. I think it can be easily corrected by a small hotfix, which MS is unwilling to release. I have barely heard such issues before.