AUTOMATICALLY Disable Fullscreen Optimizations and set other AppCompatFlags, 3rd edition.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by AveYo, Oct 28, 2018.

1. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    It's meant to ease life for gamers playing a s**tload of old games,
    so they don't have to hunt down the actual game executable behind various launchers - steam / bnet / epic / gog / etc.
    A notification would be unnecessary and annoying specially during capture, just like Microsoft's Press Win+G..
    I don't mind if the user won't recall ever clicking it, since I try to make scripts as set-it-and-forget-it as possible.
    Glad you find the script useful!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Insanegamer1996

Insanegamer1996 MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2019
    How do i use this script? Copy paste into powershell then syntax 1 and reboot? I dont see it working after reboot. How do i check if its working

3. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Gee why did I not think about someone simply copy-pasting it in powershell?
    Sorry about that, it was meant to be a hybrid cmd+powershell with cmd being the host process, but there's no reason why it should'nt work both ways.
    Updated script to work when copy-pasted in powershell directly.

As for testing if it works, just alt+enter on some game executable / a downloaded program before and after launching it once, it should then have the flag applied to compatibility tab

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. fLOW.

fLOW. MDL Senior Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Is this working for anyone on 1909?

Not working for me. Is this supposed to leave a box ticked on .exe's files "Disable Fullscreen Optimizations"? I execute the .cmd, pick the first option to disable those optimizations but on Apex (example) it doesnt work as i get the volume slider visible

5. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Working fine in 1909 for Saints Row 2 & 4, Resident Evil 2, HL & HL2, CS:GO, DOTA (the ones I've played recently).
    Yes, it does exactly that. As long as the exe has the flag set, the script did it's job.
    Not familiar with Apex but maybe you need to explicitly set the video mode to exclusive fullscreen in it's settings.

6. fLOW.

fLOW. MDL Senior Member

Jul 28, 2009
    That for some reason is not happening here. I execute the script but there's no tickbox in the .exe file (Disable Fullscreen Optimizations) even after machine restart and with admin rights
    I'm using the "Fullscreen" option in-game

7. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
  8. fLOW.

fLOW. MDL Senior Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I can see it there

Untitled.png

After posting i checked with COD Warzone and it had the box checked for "Disable Fullscreen Optimizations" so it appears it has something to do with Apex only. Weird as i've seen some reports on reddit saying it has worked for them on that game

9. DirtyAngelicaSecured

Mar 30, 2020
    Thanks! FYI - BlurBusters experts say that disabling FSO prevents G-Sync from working.

10. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    That would be hilarious, since FSO ever since it's Creators Update inception has hindered G-Sync functionality - now it's the opposite?
    That does sound like something MS would do, tough.
    If you can confirm G-Sync does not work on any mode outside FSO on for some game, then don't use such global anti-annoyance, set-it-and-forget-it script, or add an exception for the specific title as instructed. I'm betting those experts also made a distinction, like it applies to some/all d3d9 games, broken d3d9ex implementation, outdated middle-ware for recording / shading / osd.

I did play a lot with G-Sync monitors and FSO off in the past and haven't found a title to require re-enabling that s**tty anti-gamer spyware interface - because that's what FSO is! Multiple monitors? FSO off, you must. Realize true fps potential? FSO off. Less microstutters that are clearly visible but somehow don't register as such in fraps & co? FSO off. No weird mouse movement and input lag? FSO off.
    But that's just me. Most of my friends can't even notice screen tearing - too busy jumping in their seats after boom! hs! :rolleyes:

11. fLOW.

fLOW. MDL Senior Member

Jul 28, 2009
    @BAU Can you confirm that in the games you've mentioned above you don't have the volume slider while in fullscreen? Is that really a sign that FSE is properly working?

Even on COD Warzone and after using your script the volume slider is still present. Either i'm testing with games that force the "fake new fullscreen" or idk

12. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
  13. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    After using this script for a few years, it's one of my favorites of all time.