AutoUnattend.xml, Bypass the All Windows 11 installation restrictions

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by IXMas, Oct 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awuctl

awuctl MDL Member

Jun 6, 2020
    #161 awuctl, Nov 9, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    Stop pulling things like this out of your ass when you, again, have no idea what you're talking about.
    I can make an actually accurate list of that tomorrow.

As for the registry checks, this is as simple as it gets:
    upload_2021-11-9_2-44-15.png

So for the last time, BypassCPUCheck and BypassStorageCheck do not exist to the installer and your fake list doesn't have anything to do with it no matter how much you want it. You can't make a registry key work with sheer will..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. awuctl

awuctl MDL Member

Jun 6, 2020
    #162 awuctl, Nov 9, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2021
    Your method is not used for upgrades, only clean installs, and none of that or that applies to those at all.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. TheSkaffer

TheSkaffer MDL Senior Member

May 16, 2010
    Whoa, calm down gentlemen. Had I known this was a little hornet nest with you two arguing like that I might have stayed out of the discussion.

In my case the end result was that a clean installation was performed on top of an existing W10, not an upgrade, the system drive was deleted in the process, despite the theoretical CPU incompatibility. If you want me to do some checks and post additional information I will be happy to do that.

Considering the result I am inclined to believe that the hardware checks on a clean W11 installation may not be as thorough as most of us first assumed. I was surprised as well, since the initial MS PC Health checks done on that machine clearly indicated problems.

Oh, and I like Rufus, used it for years, seen no issues so far. :rolleyes:

4. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    sen-pai, review mine next!

Universal MediaCreationTool wrapper script - get Windows 11 with automatic bypass

While we should all agree that the sharpest bypass atm is using <INSTALLATIONTYPE>Server on the install image, automatic for both upgrades and clean install - or /Product Server option via a batch for upgrades,
    People do not like at all that the label during setup is Installing Windows Server... had the same complains while I was using 10 MCT to setup 11 before official release.
    Form over function - coincidentally that's 11's motto
    Sure, there are some non-cosmetic drawbacks (like not finding DU for sources updates as it is searching with the wrong server guids, probably more) but on the grand scheme it just works great.
    Setup is also launching a little faster (due to the drawback mentioned).
    Then again, that freaking label is causing concerns even to more tech-savvy people, so I went back to my initial winsetup.dll patching (for boot bypass) + a crazy file deny on the media (for upgrade bypass).
    So that gives default 11 Setup label to make people happy, works with setup.exe (no need to use included auto.cmd), works with or without Dynamic Update checked, and there's no appraiserres.dll deleting anymore.

What about the method in this thread? I've played with it.
    It works with standard hardware and you can do extra customization stuff as a bonus.
    It definitely does not work with VirtualBox 5.x, and pretty much any other blacklisted hardware ignoring official bypass registry keys.
    And now for the elephant in the room: out of all the methods so far, this can be the most destructive, because the presence of AutoUnattend.xml triggers autorun of sources\setup.exe (winpe) instead of sources\setupprep.exe (windows)!
    Destructive why? sources\setup.exe runs under windows but can only do clean installs, and features re-partitioning just like a normal clean install from boot!
    There is a high chance non tech-savvy users might do something they are gonna regret (there are already many reports), so imho, this is too risky for the convenience of adding just a text file to the media and be done with it.
    While this particular drawback can be alleviated by inserting the file in boot.wim instead (I'm doing just that in MCT script just to auto-enable local accounts on 11 Home editions),
    it would lose all it's convenience advantage and would join the pack of cumbersome solutions like the Boot And Upgrade FiX KiT.
    Compared with Quick_11_iso_esd_wim_TPM_toggle.cmd, specially when used with business (enterprise) media that already has an ei.cfg to skip asking for key - there's simply no contest.

5. IXMas

IXMas MDL Member

Mar 7, 2021
  6. IXMas

IXMas MDL Member

Mar 7, 2021
    Rufus is a dear piece of software, while performing its original function.
    The path he has now taken (packing boot.wim) not appropriate to its first purpose, that's all.

7. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    I'm obviously aware of such file denies. But speaking of less effort, did you know that all you had to do was create a zero-byte file i.e. cmd /c "cd.>appraiserres.dll"
    instead of needlessly butchering the dll file, uploading it somewhere and sharing a link to it? same compat result </HardwareItem></Hardware>
    I only touch the executables / libraries when absolutely necessary, and when I do, it's just small same-size hex replacements (and when safe, for example the winsetup.dll in boot.wim only loads under PE, does not get scanned),
    while your file is simply invalid PE that AV's might scream at.

8. IXMas

IXMas MDL Member

Mar 7, 2021
    No, a completely removed or possibly empty, or even replaced appraiserres.dll file will probably allow further installation, but with subsequent unlimited lamentations. Don't do this don't do that, miss this miss that, delete that or all. With a targeted intervention, you perform a successful installation with no harmful consequences, that's all.

9. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    I'm just saying that's not a targeted intervention at all, that's butchering a binary file turning it invalid, so it works exactly the same as the zero byte file.
    Any modifications no matter how small would invalidate it's digital signature and hash anyway, but the file you've malformed has no value, really.
    Microsoft might enforce validation for it at any time, that's why I prefer to target the alternative text file for now.

10. IXMas

IXMas MDL Member

Mar 7, 2021
    #170 IXMas, Nov 9, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    (OP)
    I know that, but verification will be discussed later if that happens.
    Until then, I am an advocate of minimal and transparent intervention in anything.
    And less than this approach of mine does not exist, and satisfies the installation without future error.

11. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    then stop sharing malformed binaries and just ... cmd /c "cd.>appraiserres.dll" ;)
    trust me, it's literally the same (from setup's PoV), but safer. and easier to deploy / share / whatever

12. IXMas

IXMas MDL Member

Mar 7, 2021
    #172 IXMas, Nov 9, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
    (OP)
  13. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    humor me and run fc.exe "original.dll" "patched.dll" :bananajoj2:
    i'm just gonna stop now I don't want to get infuriated like awuctl :rofl:

14. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    All this fuss over a file that if you rename it or delete it will pass the install anyway :blahblah1:

15. IXMas

IXMas MDL Member

Mar 7, 2021
    #175 IXMas, Nov 11, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2021
    (OP)
    I will explain why it is important to choose the right targeted intervention in appraiserres.dll.

For new installation or upgrade in "C:\Windows\System32\appraiser\Appraiser_Data.ini" file was created with the entire contents of appraiserres.dll,
    ie the collected data on the current state of your PC. (like on the image).

If appraiserres.dll is missing because you used a non-smart way to intervene, or you use a sandwich-like substitution method with unknown consequences.
    You will have permanently damaged Appraiser_Data.ini, that is, a permanently unstable OS, because your newly installed Windows uses that file, Appraiser_Data.ini.

troll.PNG

16. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    #176 AveYo, Nov 11, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2021
  17. IXMas

IXMas MDL Member

Mar 7, 2021
    #177 IXMas, Nov 11, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    (OP)
    They claim that it is harmless to delete the appraiserres.dll files because it does not have to be installed, it has to be installed and how.
    To C:\Windows\System32\appraiser\ , we can discuss the content and all that is missing and the consequences for the proper functioning of your new one OS if you apply the option of deleting or replacing that file unnecessarily.

"for the uninitiated, least possible invasive right targeted intervention without consequences for the stability of the new OS " post #1 and #2

18. IXMas

IXMas MDL Member

Mar 7, 2021
    #178 IXMas, Nov 11, 2021
    (OP)
    in preparation. "%WINDIR%\AppCompat\Appraiser\APPRAISER_TelemetryBaseline_RS1_TH1.bin"

2.PNG

19. IXMas

IXMas MDL Member

Mar 7, 2021
    #179 IXMas, Nov 11, 2021
    (OP)
    in preparation. "%WINDIR%\AppCompat\Appraiser\APPRAISER_TelemetryBaseline_TH1.bin"

2.PNG

20. IXMas

IXMas MDL Member

Mar 7, 2021
    #180 IXMas, Nov 11, 2021
    (OP)
    in preparation. "appraiserres.dll\.rsrc\RCDATA\500"

troll.PNG