Best antivirus and firewall for Win 10?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by happyxman, May 4, 2021.

1. happyxman

happyxman MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2020
    Hello,

I would like to know, which are the best antivirus and firewall for Win 10?

Please tell me for both free and paid.

2. shrinivas

shrinivas MDL Member

Apr 10, 2015
    They are already built-in within windows 10, no external, paid or free are necessary.
    Only make sure not to go to dubious sites and download any suspicious files or click on any .exe files.
    Just add free Adguard extension for the web browsers, and configure it. It will stop you from going to 'bad' sites.
    Edit: added the last lines

3. You have to decide the best either paid or free first via getting the comments of users on AV providers.
    Escan security solutions found the best for me n i suggest it to be best paid solution.

4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #4 kaljukass, May 4, 2021
    Last edited: May 4, 2021
    @happyxman
    That's right, it's already there and you shouldn't be looking for anything more.
    But if you really need something else, it's the thing that usually lies between two ears,
    (in some cases between the back of the chair and the keyboard).
    Develop it!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. cbsvitzer

cbsvitzer MDL Member

Feb 4, 2010
    #5 cbsvitzer, May 4, 2021
    Last edited: May 4, 2021
  6. ciyive9642

ciyive9642 MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2020
    Personally I used Windows Defender. Earlier I used Kaspersky Free as I liked it but it has seen some bad light in the recent years. I have used Bitdefender too. As it is rated #1 on most of the websites. But the free one is featureless hence I used Kaspersky. I would suggest you to use Bitdefender free. Just install and forget. Both Bitdefender Free and Kaspersky Free are light on system resources and have excellent AV scores.

7. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. ciyive9642

ciyive9642 MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2020
    Adding to this. I actually did some research and found out that there's no evidence against Kaspersky about spying its users and it being linked to helping Russian Government with espionage or something. It seems USA over reacted and the mistake was of the NSA contractor. I am now using Kaspersky Security Cloud Free, it also comes with a VPN (300MB Daily Limit) and a browser extension and a password manager (optional), but I already use another password manager. It has a license system which auto renews I guess? It's still showing me my 2019 free license and I have another 6 months remaining. Feature and UI wise I like it better than Bitdefender as Bitdefender just has a scanner.

I would also like to add that you can use Malwarebytes in case your system is already affected with some malware.

I use the in-built Windows 10 Firewall.

9. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    There are only 2 free firewalls: Comodo and Zone Alarm, they can detect, when a process tries to connect via another process.
    As for free AV, there is Kaspersky and AVG/Avast, they can detect fileless malware. Defender is OK, but can be heavy at times.

I can not comment on paid, because I can not imagine a home user paying to actually get more bloatware? o_O

Adguard is very limited when it comes to blocking baddies. Bitdefender Trafficlight or Malwarebytes Guard are better. Not to mention DNS malware blocking via Quad9.

10. amajmon

amajmon MDL Senior Member

Sep 21, 2012
  11. adhammagdy

adhammagdy MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2012
    windows defender can be easily disabled by a virus with admin rights by writing in group policy

12. Dave_Ru

Dave_Ru MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2021
    Anyone knows a good source to a Comodo version without online installer ?

13. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
  14. ciyive9642

ciyive9642 MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2020
    What's the problem with Online installer?

15. Dave_Ru

Dave_Ru MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2021
    @Mr. X Awesome, thanks. I only saw this now!

@ciyivie9642
    For one, noone knows what the installer is sending about your system. Also, you can keep an decent version before they screw it with telemetry or whatever... (i.e. like what happened to many good software in the past that gets bought by big corporations...).
    Although TBH, I don't how the current version compares to older ones, been many years since I've used it and now I installed Win7 on few mahcines.

16. maszd

maszd MDL Novice

Feb 3, 2019
    still use nod32 av v8 :)

17. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #19 kaljukass, Jan 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    I'm reading all this up here and, to be honest, it's kind of very sad. People, why don't you still understand and don't want to know anything? Is there really the main reason "that you have no abilities",
    or what is the reason that a person does not want to become smarter in any way?
    How You do not understand that these antiviruses are all useless, they only not work, but even not possible that they may work. They have never worked and will never work for what You think or in what you belive. They are made to collect money from fools and that is the only thing they are able to do very well and it's horror that still today work very well.
    People, get a little smarter one day! Wake up and learn a little something. If you can't do it, really wake up and at least learn something from your own mistakes. The minimum or the first purpose, do not do the same mistakes twice, once should be enough.

18. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    :rofl: what an insight, now act on it yourself:giverose: