Best tool for creating ISO's

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Magmarock, May 19, 2022.

1. Magmarock

Magmarock MDL Member

Oct 12, 2016
    When it comes to creating bookable isos for Windows. What's the best tool and why.

Poweriso, Ultraiso, oscdimg.

I thought it would be oscdimg since it comes with windows assessment and deployment kit and is considered the official way of creating isos. I would like a program that I can use from the command line so I can automate the process of building windows isos with new changes and modifications.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  3. Magmarock

Magmarock MDL Member

Oct 12, 2016
    Gen2 also uses ultraiso I know they have DRM that allows for offline activation which makes me want to support them. I've been trying out oscdimg but I'm not getting the hang of it. Why do you prefer it over the others for building isos?

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    What does this have to do with homebrew releasers (to put it nicely) or offline activation (of what)?

The second post of the linked thread should give you a good start with cdimage/oscdimg.

5. Magmarock

Magmarock MDL Member

Oct 12, 2016
    Well Gen2 showed me how to do it, and come to think of it homebrew is what I am trying to do. It's just that it's been a while. The motivation behind all these was to setup windows to run as much software as possible regardless of internet connectivity. So while I'm happy to pay for software I stay away from things that require online activation as mmuch as posible.

Gen2 versions of Windows come pre loaded with updates and VC redists to get as many things working as possible. My homebrew versions of Windows come with even more things such as DirectX june 2010 (need for some older games including openGL ones not sure why.) as well as having directplay and dot net 3.5 already installed and working.

I'm all about that backwards compatibility because I didn't get the internet until much later in life. I love homebrew windows and I wanted to start making my own with high compatibility and offline functionality prioritized.

6. Skunk1966

Skunk1966 MDL Member

Jul 15, 2011
    so why ask here if they showed you?? makes no sense to me at all

7. Magmarock

Magmarock MDL Member

Oct 12, 2016
    #7 Magmarock, May 20, 2022
    Last edited: May 20, 2022
    (OP)
    Oh Right, he showed me how to edit a wim file. But I was using imgburn to create iso files, which can boot easily boot into legacy bios but not uefi. I'm looking for a good tool for creating bootable iso files for both uefi and legacy bios. So far I'm between ultra iso and cdimage.exe

8. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    iso? Who needs iso? learn dism instead

9. Magmarock

Magmarock MDL Member

Oct 12, 2016
    I know how to use DISM and you still need to create an iso once you've changed the install.wim file.

10. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Haven't you been answered enough options?

11. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    You might as well just use oscdimg as @Enthousiast pointed out. If your building your own images then you'd be using batch files for automation of things and adding on iso creation would be simple...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Magmarock

Magmarock MDL Member

Oct 12, 2016
    Actually, I think I have it all sorted. I still like the idea of Ultraiso because I still need a tool for mounting .bin files of old PC games and the added benefit of being able edit Windows iso seems like a no brainier.

Then, I can switch to oscdimg when I have built an automated process for updating wim files. Thank you very much for your assistance though. I really do appreciate it.

13. Chibi ANUBIS

Chibi ANUBIS MDL Chibi Developer

Apr 28, 2014
    Hello my dear,
    Here my script with oscdimg, I create the ISO after modified the install.wim. Need to install the ADK.

Code:
    @echo off
    TITLE Create Bootable ISO - Chibi ANUBIS

SET "DirPath=C:\ISO\Win10_21H2_French_x64"
    SET "ISOPath=C:\ISO"

if exist "%programfiles%\Windows kits" SET "_dirADK=%programfiles%\Windows kits"
    if exist "%programfiles(x86)%\Windows kits" SET "_dirADK=%programfiles(x86)%\Windows kits"
    if not defined _dirADK goto exit

"%_dirADK%\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%\Oscdimg\oscdimg.exe" -m -o -u2 -udfver102 -bootdata:2#p0,e,b%DirPath%\boot\etfsboot.com#pEF,e,b%DirPath%\efi\microsoft\boot\efisys.bin %DirPath% %ISOPath%\ISOUPDATED.iso

ECHO Press any keys to exit.
    pause>nul
    exit

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...