Beware: Microsoft is removing Group Policy options from Windows 10 PRO

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by hb860, Jul 28, 2016.

1. freevista

freevista MDL Member

Jan 14, 2009
    I hope that EU has balls to stop this before it spirals too far. If they are not already bought like the US government :p

2. yomoma2

yomoma2 MDL Senior Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Neither the policy via gpedit or the registry setting can disable the lock screen on this 14393.5 Pro. The only thing it does is lock the option to select the backgound.

3. Ras0

Ras0 MDL Novice

May 7, 2012
    They are trying to merge home and pro maybe.

4. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    They can. You are possibly mistaking login screen for Lock screen.

5. yomoma2

yomoma2 MDL Senior Member

Feb 27, 2010
    I meant disabling the screen with the clock+background that needs to be bypassed by pressing a key, instead of going directly to the profile/password screen.
    Before, that screen would go away with that policy in Pro, and "NoLockScreen"=dword:00000001" won't get rid of it as an alternative.

6. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    You are correct. That Policy Setting is only available to SKU Enterprise, Education and Server in the latest update. I didn't look at the pro in your statement because I am using SKU Education version though and I can disable the Lock screen. My apologies.

7. CorporateRAT

CorporateRAT MDL Member

Aug 4, 2012
    It looks like lock screen is actually login screen at the same time. Might be the reason it can't be disabled.. I'm assuming the ability to control login process will be reserved for domain joined computers only.

8. ashish.k

ashish.k MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2014
    This is bulls**t! I hate Win10 from the start for all the crap MS pulls. The best by far is Enterprise LTSB edition. Pure desktop and no Metro s**t and full control.

I don't say this without using the other editions and latest builds. MS is giving away Win10 for free and people are upgrading and some are happy but many have either downgraded or tweaked their way through the crap MS is shoving up people's asses.

I have used Win10 since the earliest builds. Win10 (10240) was good and got better and better until Nov2015 when MS came up with TH2. That was also proving to be better but then came a "Cumulative Update (KB3135173, I guess)" which screwed all of it. That update and all updates till now overrides the Default apps back to MS Store Apps. Whenever a new software like a media player or browser etc. is installed and it replaces the MS app as default a few minutes later you get a notification that "An app default was reset".
    Example, "An app caused a problem with default app settings for .pdf files, so it was reset to Microsoft Edge".
    This is just MS forcing people to use their apps, taking control over user's apps and settings. This is just wrong!

Also they have bundled Apps/Games downloaders on Windows now so when you connect to internet for the very first time after clean install even with a local account it starts downloading those empty tiles in the start menu. WTF MS? Why?

That is how they are making money with Win10!

And now what? They try to take away simple group policy settings from PRO edition just so they could control more PCs.
    I will not ever use any future versions of Win10 except LTSB as that is the only edition I have all the control I want.

PS: This is just my opinion and I'm not forcing anyone to agree/disagree with it.

9. Gharlane00

Gharlane00 MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2009
    Maybe if MS renames the tool to "Enterprise Policy Editor" or "Institution Policy Editor", which is what it was always meant to be, the whining will stop.

10. Scyphoz

Scyphoz MDL Junior Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Great :mad: I wonder how long it will take them to remove Group Policy Editor access in Pro all together...

11. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    more good news! Thanks m$ :clap:

12. freevista

freevista MDL Member

Jan 14, 2009
    I'm considering killing Windows Update and staying at build 10586/1511. DirectX (games) are actually the only feature keeping me in Windows, I hope this version doesn't bring any critical updates to DX12? Games are fortunately still DX11, so no problems yet, I'm just thinking long term. As M$ is purely evil (as proven by this issue), they will likely block installing new DX12 libraries to the old 10240 and 10586 builds.

PC gaming moving to Linux, that would be a dream..

13. sXpTv

sXpTv MDL Member

Jul 14, 2014
    #35 sXpTv, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    Oh man this is horrible. Microsoft is making Windows 10 even worse. The first thing that made W10 worse was switching from the DUI startmenu to UWP and resizing the context menus on all devices. And now they remove features from the "Pro" version. I'm glad that i'm using the LTSB version, which fortunately doesn't have any Store-UWP apps. If they're going to add Microsoft Edge, Store and other uwp crap to the LTS branch soon, i will downgrade back to Windows 8.1 or even 7.

Microsoft is trying to make Windows 10 simple as possible by removing all complex Win32 stuff and replace it with UWP elements, which might be "user-friendly".. but it's not, it crashes a lot and these "apps" are just simple webpages that are emulated on window frames, basically the whole OS is like a Internet Explorer website, which reminds me of the old fake Windows emulators on flash-game sites. No wonder why no one wants to develop apps for Windows Mobile & 10.

14. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    I have a wish for a new policy::D

Setting.......................................................................................................................State........Comment

Don't let MS screw with Existing policys without Local Administrators consent........Enabled.....No

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Zaphain

Zaphain MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2014
    I was rather looking forward to testing the anniversary update to see if any positive changes have been made and now see this. I no longer care anymore. It's just one thing after another. Clearly I'm not the target audience for this OS and I am not going to resort to pirating enterprise for more control over the system. I see now I will have to stick to 8.1 for the forseeable future.

16. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    I'm still stuck to 8.1 since its release L0L.

17. leomate

leomate MDL Junior Member

Jun 19, 2009
    #39 leomate, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    It doesnt work in my Windows 10 Pro :(

18. dmex

dmex MDL Junior Member

Apr 20, 2011