Beware: Microsoft is removing Group Policy options from Windows 10 PRO

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by hb860, Jul 28, 2016.

1. JayPea

JayPea MDL Junior Member

Feb 28, 2009
    I'm offiicialy giving up on you, along with replying. Fare-thee-well, Hadron-Curious.

2. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Yeah, I think that's the reason; they're just going to want to use the private (Warbird-protected) calls for internal license value queries. However, it seems not every team is implementing it this way: The check for "Cortana-AllowCortana-Enabled" that is done as part of OOBE (to decide whether or not to display the "Cortana" screen which is new for RS1) uses the public SLGetWindowsInformationDWORD call (CloudExperienceHostBroker.dll).

At that point you could directly patch winlogon as well, which would probably be easier. :p

3. qwerty12

qwerty12 MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2010
    #63 qwerty12, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    I don't think you're wrong, I'm just personally of the view that petitions etc. don't do much. I'm jaded. (Plus, IMHO, with Windows 10, we've already seen that Microsoft are pretty hellbent on providing a new experience and are unrepentant about the consequences, if I'm making any sense and not rambling on? I just really don't see a point in MS reversing their decision now that it's been made - seems to me that they'll get more money from Enterprise licenses - worth it for the sake of, from their PoV, a few grumblings about some 10 Pro users going back to 8.1 or whatever)

Ah, you're right, I'm used to hooking imported functions and manipulating the result where possible but I overlooked that it's much easier just, yeah, as you said, patching winlogon instead of dealing with a function where the result is encrypted :D

(I'll blame it on the fact that I'm not actually a programmer, but it seems I need to know some tricks in order to gain some degree of control over Windows 10 - if it weren't for me figuring out [well, not actually me] how to hook MusNotificationUx.exe when WU is set to notification mode to not show that modal "you've ignored my nice toast prompts telling you to update, so now you only get one choice: OK" dialog, I'd've probably gone back to 8.1 myself - even with the audio improvements, usermode font rendering, an OpenWith.exe that doesn't suck on a desktop computer...)

4. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    You are very welcome. It is not the end of the world.

5. RobertJ

RobertJ MDL Senior Member

Apr 4, 2014
    #65 RobertJ, Jul 29, 2016
    This news is seriously making me consider a clean install of Win10 Enterprise once ISOs of the Anniversary Update version are available (I thought about LTSB N version but I still want the ability to install some apps in future). Since this would be the first time I'll ever be installing Enterprise, please excuse the n00b questions. :)

1) Which would be the best way to activate it?

2) Has anyone created a list of all the Group Policies to set to disable telemetry and various other nonsense in the Enterprise version?

3) Given the extra features it has, how heavy or resource hungry is Enterprise compared to Pro?

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Lately i only see the N version mentioned, there is a "Non N" version too ;)

7. RobertJ

Apr 4, 2014
    #67 RobertJ, Jul 29, 2016
    Of course there is, but I suppose if one hates MS' apps in general then WiMP (Windows Media Player) would be disliked as well, right? (I've never used the N versions, but I've also not touched WiMP either after Win98.) No wonder then that the N version is mentioned more! :)

Meanwhile I'd still appreciate answers to my queries from the experts here...

8. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
  9. pstN

pstN MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2016
    Just wondering though guys, what's stopping us from using the registry to disable those things?

10. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    What stops you is the thing that reads those registry settings and the way it's coded to ignore them on specific SKUs (specifically, the licensing values present in those).

11. specialex

specialex MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2009

me too planning to change from pro to enterprise or LTSB
    1) I think the best way to activate it is using MTK
    2) some of users has made reg tweaks for telemetry crap

cmiiw

12. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    #72 dobbelina, Jul 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. RobertJ

Apr 4, 2014
    AFAIK Group Policy Editor is only a GUI for making registry edits, which is why if the setting is supported then the exact same changes can be made directly via the registry in the Home version too. So clearly if gpedit doesn't work in Pro for certain cases then MS is ignoring those registry settings.

I'm reading about MTK, KMSpico and KMS_VL_ALL and trying to decide which one is best (least resource usage, least number of files and registry edits and so on). I asked the same thing also in one thread but no-one has replied yet.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that setting Telemetry Collection level to 0 (zero) in Win10 Enterprise (i.e. lowest level below Basic which is not available via UI) will also stop Windows Update from working properly. Can someone confirm if this is true?

14. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    They will not take effect in editions other than Enterprise, Education and Server.
    Believe me, I checked.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. pstN

pstN MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2016

LTSB is considered enterprise right?

16. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    Yes it should be.

17. RobertJ

Apr 4, 2014
    It's named "Enterprise LTSB" for a reason. :rolleyes: LTSB is a servicing branch for Enterprise, just like CB (Current Branch) and CBB (Current Branch for Business).

18. frepsz

frepsz MDL Junior Member

Aug 26, 2014
    This is a good thing, as it will keep smaller business users away from Windows 10, they can't afford Enterprise and can't risk piracy either. They'll stick to 7 and 8, and Microsoft will have to extend support for those, like they did for Windows XP. That's choice for the masses, you can use whichever you like, without denied support and updates.