Bypass Windows 7 Extended Security Updates Eligibility

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by abbodi1406, Nov 17, 2019.

1. XCostaX

XCostaX MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2019
    Thank you for this. If this works you may save one of my critical Windows 7 Machine for another 3 years.
    I really want to migrate to Win 10 at the very end of 2023 if possible.
    Do you accept donations in case this tool reveals efficient?

2. That's the exact same reason as to why I ditched it, and the unnecessary hogging of the CPU came from the fact that the program was scanning itself. No joke there. When I know for sure that's been rectified, then it will be the time I bring it back.

3. hamdoullah

hamdoullah MDL Member

Oct 27, 2019
  4. Someone said elsewhere in this thread that the POSReady updates have no effect on ordinary 7. It's funny, because they can be perfectly installed under XP with no problems...

5. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    @hamdoullah
    It will not work

@Bryn89
    XP update system is primitive, 7 is more sophisticated

6. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    I don't know where you got that idea from. From the very beginning I've only wanted Windows 10 updates to be manual in exactly the same way Windows 7 is. It was never my idea to disable updates forever. That's just a side-effect of only allowing updates when I manually check for them. If you set Windows 7 to manually check for updates windows 7 will never update until you manually check. I find it hard to believe that you don't know this.

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #247 Enthousiast, Dec 23, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    The remark was a little attempt of humor;)
    The quote under it was info from inside tha house.

And ontopic, when installed, the bypass cripples the use of WU, and the ESU updates won't arrive by WU for users anyway.

8. togno

togno MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2019
    Hello everyone.

Is it possible for you to write a fast tutorial on what to do exactly (and where to watch for new update after EoS) for non-expert users ?

I'm so happy you found this btw, thank you ! I hope so much they'll not patch it.

9. alzcoew397

alzcoew397 MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2018
    merry xmas

everyone telling about the ''death'' of Windows 7

if only they were knew.... ;)

10. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    After Jan. 14. 2020 you probably can read here or elsewhere on the 7 section (hotfix repo) when ESUs are released and there probably will be links too.

When an ESU is released, install the bypass and install the update(s) and remove the bypass (this can change but for now it's the workaround) to be able to use WU (it's not clear if there will be any other updates offered on WU after Jan. 14. 2020).

11. MaJo24

MaJo24 MDL Junior Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Though obviously not certain, it is highly likely that ESU updates will be offered through all of the usual channels (WU, WSUS, Update Catalog). WU would make a lot of sense, since especially small businesses won't be utilizing a WSUS server.

Regarding the latter, Microsoft has added two new detectoids to WSUS - for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 (R2), respectively. The cores of their applicability rules basically consist of two checks, which both have to pass:
    - Is the OS edition eligible for ESU?
    - Is a valid ESU license installed OR does the system have a special asset tag in SMBIOS (which usually indicates the system is an Azure instance)?

So, if the OS edition is eligible, getting the updates might be as "easy" (or hard, depending on your point of view) as setting the asset tag of the system to that special value. If you operate your own WSUS, you might go the route and modify the detectoid on the server (which is just a value in a database table).

I've tested both approaches with two virtual machines (Windows 7 Pro as a client, Windows Server 2012 R2 acting as a WSUS server, with KB4528069 added from the update catalog). In both cases, the client system was offered KB4528069 when checking for updates with server. (Keep in mind that the modified detectoid might be reset when synchronizing, though.)

I'd guess that WU will go the same route as WSUS does.

12. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    As i said, official ESU clients probably will get them offered on WU, the bypass is not able to do it, at least not for now.

13. MaJo24

MaJo24 MDL Junior Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Yes, sure. Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like contradicting you. I just wanted to clarify the mechanism that the bypass would have to influence to get the updates via WU (which might be possible, since applicability rules are evaluated on the client machine).

14. Charlie69

Charlie69 MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2019

tested, works for me, thank you !

awaiting feb 2020 ....

15. I hope the crippling of it would only be a one-time thing and not on a regular basis. That would be awful...

Also, how else can we obtain the ESU updates from the bypass if they won't be delivered to Windows Update?

16. And how would we find them under it? Using keywords like "ESU" and "extended security" yielded nothing (unless they don't appear yet until after January 2020).

17. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    There's MDL where someone, as usual, will leak them for us all.

18. Ah, okay. Just wanted to make sure, as I did from the questions I've asked throughout this thread. I'll keep my eyes open for them ;)

19. mspaintmsi

mspaintmsi MDL Novice

May 9, 2015
    I figured with the continued interest in this tool, I'd post an update regarding what we're currently doing.

We dropped our original idea of patching wuaueng.dll for update detection, as it simply wasn't "clean" and would require constant re-patching on every wuaueng update; So we created a working method for installing ESU updates without modifying any system tools, through the use of a local WSUS proxy that would change the update requirements so no ESU validation would be performed by Windows Update.

This approach also requires creating a modified slc.dll, so that local CBS tools (TrustedInstaller) will also validate successfully.

Our progress so far:
    • wuaueng.dll patcher - Done, but the idea got dropped.
    • WSUS proxy - Done, pending rewrite and optimization.
    • Modified SLC for local CBS - Done.
    (Sadly, Windows 7 Home Basic, Home Premium and Starter will not be supported with the new approach and will only work with kurwica)

(If anyone has any more technical questions, I'll happily answer them)
    Don't worry, we'll release it before the 14th .-.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...