Bypass Windows 7 Extended Security Updates Eligibility

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by abbodi1406, Nov 17, 2019.

1. AT2019

AT2019 MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2019
    #5981 AT2019, Nov 10, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
    Hello. I am also experiencing problems getting KB5007236 to install. I successfully uninstalled KB5006743 without a hitch. I restarted then checked for new updates, but it didn't work out. I have KB5006749 already installed.

Edit: Restarting twice solved this issue. I was able to install KB5007236 but now I am unable to reinstall KB5006743, as it states it's not applicable to my system.

2. Prsa01

Prsa01 MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2019
    #5982 Prsa01, Nov 11, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    Once again a perfect month's update. Thanks to OP and all contributors!

Win7 pro 64 using WU with ESU bypass v11

3. Blue Zee

Blue Zee MDL Junior Member

Jan 14, 2020
    I guess KB5006743 is no longer needed.

4. ruslanshchur

ruslanshchur MDL Senior Member

Sep 13, 2020
    But I stuck with this problem, and KB5006743 fails to uninstall. Even I tried to install this update (KB5007236) with DISM, and it is also fails with the same error code.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Blue Zee

Jan 14, 2020
    An extreme approach to your problem would be using system restore to go back to a moment just before installing KB5006743.

I don't know any workaround to force uninstall it.

6. JollaBolla

JollaBolla MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2021
    Installing updates through Windows Update had been working fine so far. This time however, WU only showed the malicious software removal tool. After manually installing the latest SSU, WU showed this months updates and they installed succesfully.

7. ruslanshchur

Sep 13, 2020
    But I have installed this update before installing software (including browser), so, this will cause loss of software?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Blue Zee

Jan 14, 2020
    Yes, other software may be affected and will probably need updating/reinstalling.

I did mention "extreme approach".

You may want to wait for a possible solution or workaround for your problem.

9. ruslanshchur

Sep 13, 2020
    And I don't want to again bother with the programs, so, yes, I will wait for a possible official or unofficial solution or workaround for my problem, or for new version of this update that not fails to install

10. vonmir

vonmir MDL Member

Dec 8, 2019
    After another day of fooling around with KB5007149, I give up. I appear to have succeeded in completely breaking the NET framework on one of my six Win7 machines.:oops:

I even did a successful rollback to a pre-updates restore point, but because I had (only half-successfully) uninstalled NET 4.8, even that didn't cure things.

Strangely, even after the rollback, and even though the NET framework is broken, I was able to install KB5007236 using WU with no problem.

Anyway, it's not so tragic. I only had one program that requires the NET framework, and I can live without it. Furthermore, now I might finally take the plunge and put Win 10 on that machine.

As in all of the previous months since the beginning, using the WONDERFUL Bypass, the other five Win 7 machines updated fine using WU.

My never-ending gratitude to the Bypass devs.

11. windows2k

windows2k MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2020
    Is the ESU bypass known to cause problems with manually installing *non-ESU* updates in some ways?

I can pull simple things like drivers from Windows Update, but any type of .NET related update or WMF/PowerShell upgrade will not install. It installs and then reboots, but then after configuring updates, says "Failure to configure updates" and then rolls back.

Tried with WMF 5.1 and WMF 3.0 - same thing.

Never had this issue prior. The only thing I did was use the Simplix update pack which includes some of the ESU updates, is there something about that that would cause this and require me to go through another procedure thenceforth when installing updates?

12. Blue Zee

Jan 14, 2020
    You can always uninstall the ESU bypass and test?

13. Manchita

Manchita MDL Junior Member

Feb 9, 2020
    Blue Zee, don't be annoyed if this is a dumb question..you ARE using the
    ESU bypass for updates AND using the .NET ByPass for .NET updates?
    I'm at the low(est) level of ability on MDL and I've often struggled over some
    of the stuff that other guys take for granted...I even managed to solve a problem
    with "disappearing" updates on my system (Win 7 Pro x64).But I've had no problems
    with the ByPasses during all the months that I've been using them to manually download
    and install the updates. This month again everything went smoothly. (Thanks to all at MDL).

14. Blue Zee

Jan 14, 2020
    @Manchita
    You may be confusing me with @windows2k, but yes I have been using both bypasses for the updates.
    I never had problems till last month, not with the ESU bypass but with the monthly update that broke my connection to the network printer.

15. windows2k

windows2k MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2020
    I don't actually recall manually installing the ESU Bypass. I'm using the one integrated into the Simplix pack one. As such, I'm not sure if it was a temporary thing to enable those updates to install or something more permanent.

However, even after uninstalling .NET 4.8 (installed by the Simplix update), and installing 4.0, then trying to install WMF 3 (surely the least demanding compared to 5.1), it stills fails and reverts updates.

I've tried clearing the updates folder on C:, I've probably tried about 10 times now and everything has failed.

Going to boot into safe mode now and try sfc /scannow and chkdsk /r, barring that, not sure what else to try.

I probably wouldn't have had this issue if I installed WMF 5.1 BEFORE the Simplix pack, but a bit late for that now...

It seems to be a wider OS issue as most updates fail to install. I see the November updates in Windows Update, but of course they fail to install. Event Viewer doesn't cast any light on this either.

Just wondering if this is a known issue here.

16. ruslanshchur

Sep 13, 2020
    I found that 0x80073701 means there are some system files that are missing, causing the update installation failure.

17. windows2k

windows2k MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2020
    Well, sfc /scannow and chkdsk completed with no complaints, so not sure what could be up.
    This is a pretty clean system, I only installed it about a month ago, so can't think of many other factors.
    I did notice that these type of updates were failing from the beginning, though, after Simplix Pack install, so it seems like this would point to that.

18. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    The SiMPLiX pack does not apply the complete ESU Bypass, AFAIK. If you want to use Windows Update after that, you might still need to install the complete one.

19. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Yep, Simplix Updatepacks are actually meant to be used instead of WU (combined with the WA addons), there was a time it also enabled the use of WU but that stopped at some release, best to keep using the updatepacks once started using them.

When i have my new beast system assembled (the parts should be in tomorrow or saturday) i can go test stuff again:)

20. FroggieTheGremlin

FroggieTheGremlin MDL Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Simplix may be readily used to update the baseline of your System. Once that's done, if you want your System to be managed by Windows Update, you must insure that the ESU Bypass is installed on your System.

For those having issues with various software installations/updates unrelated to the ESU Bypass, pls read
    Important Notice about the .NET 4 ESU Bypass located in Post #1.