Can Recycle Bin be included in FE search?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Katzenfreund, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    As I remember, XP’s search facility would also include the Recycle Bin. But my Windows 10 File Explorer search doesn’t. Of course, I can always have a look in the Recycle Bin after the search, but it would be more convenient if it can be included in the FE search. This is because I find that with W10 I tend to delete a lot of files accidentally.

So, is there some adjustment I’m missing for including the Recycle Bin in the FE search, or is this another useful XP feature left out?

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    What is FE Search? Sorry, I have diamond brain, it means so small, smooth and hard.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    #3 ofernandofilo, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    #5 dobbelina, Sep 14, 2016
    Have you ticked the "Include system directories" under Folder Options=>Search ?
    $Recycle.Bin is a hidden system folder under C:.

5. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    #6 ofernandofilo, Sep 14, 2016
  6. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Tested all options, doesn't work.
    Recycle bin can only be searched from inside itself.

7. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    I’ve just checked and "Include system directories" was already ticked.

It seems so. Thanks for testing, so that I know it's not just me.

8. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    #10 ofernandofilo, Sep 14, 2016
    * Both don't look in the trash. I tested and updated my first comment!

Not at all!!!! I'm a "hard deleter". I always delete with the shift pressed! No turning back.

* I've lost serious thing two or three times in my life by this loving way to treat my files. But in general I only make the mistakes when I'm too crazy sleepy ... when I am a too long time awake or when I just woke up and I did not put me on track. So, I do know I'm not reliable in these stages, then, I avoid taking serious decisions at these times: s

HDDB was pretty updated, pretty maintain, and pretty patched. But one day... the creator just stopped the development. I think that he had a little annoyance with false-positives at the time and maybe some trouble to maintain with the costs of a server... what a pit!

Everything has a stable version. But over the years the beta versions was always more complete and fast. And to be fair, it never was more unreliable in practice.

cheers

9. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Don't forget, that $Recycle.Bin contains also several hidden temporary folders what have in several machines several address/location and where access is denied.
    For example
    C:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-2540349333-1652182403-2176992413-500\*

10. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Thanks for taking the trouble to test them.

So it looks like I’m stuck to searching in the Recycle Bin separately. And the best solution is for me to be more careful with what I delete in the first place. I’ve located the problem to more files being selected for deletion than intended. I don’t know why this happens, but I’ll start looking out for it happening and not delete automatically.

11. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Just use a decent search utility (like Agent Ransak/File locator Pro) instead of the stock one, which is useless since Vista.

12. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    You can not search for something specially or separately, now should do restart and then is needed to use one of these "Undelete" or "Recover" program. That's all what you can do.