Can you run Windows 11 on your old system?

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by pisthai, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Hrmm, shouldn't bother with that system, I guess. :rolleyes:

netbook.jpg

2. Digitalfox

Digitalfox MDL Member

Jan 17, 2008
    To be fair, that machine should be using XP, and maybe before pre SP2, so doesn’t slowdown

3. Vegan711

Vegan711 MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2020
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    Least green I have seen so far.

5. adrian2055

adrian2055 MDL Member

Apr 21, 2010
    I installed Windows 11 on an hp elitebook 8560p after I replaced the appraiser.dll with the one from Windows 10.

6. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    It's on 21H1.
    CPU Core Count saved by HyperThreading. If MS means physical cores then this checker is wrong, the CPU has only one.

On the good side, AFAIK the CPU is not vulnerable to Meltdown and Spectre.

7. bjf2000

bjf2000 MDL Expert

Apr 11, 2008
    It's more likely than not that MS won't relent upon RTM and allow us to continue on Insider Dev (my guess: 7th-gen concession but not one for TPM), at which point it would get interesting. There will be:

-Those who never left 21390 due to certain objections to Win11, such as the fixed taskbar. Timebomb: Halloween. Unclear if a clean install is really the only recourse or if there's some masterful trick to get onto the normal Win10 build without doing that.

-Those who did leap to Win11 but who are now barred from continuing with Insider or even RTM. Timebomb: Unknown. Win10 clean install need very likely.

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    22000.xxx updates don't do the tpm, etcetc...checks atm.

21996.1 is not win 11, 22000.1 doesn't even resemble win 11 entirely, from 22000.51 it starts doing.

9. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2011
    #49 MELERIX, Jul 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    here running Windows 11 in a N68C-GS FX Mainboard with a AMD FX-4300 CPU and a NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 GPU, and somehow Insider Preview allowed me to upgrade to Windows 11 through Windows Update without any trick and even considering this PC does not have TPM neither UEFI/SECURE BOOT, but is working fine anyway like as it was in Windows 10, but sadly with less features in Windows 11, and a bit of performance drop in few games/emulators.

10. odiea

odiea MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Works on this ok . At least for the moment. Minor issues with Screen saver though.

Attached Files:

11. ultimo404

ultimo404 MDL Member

Oct 3, 2017
    Not supported. Don't have TPM.

12. JumpyJim

JumpyJim MDL Junior Member

Aug 29, 2013
    What remains unclear is how strict MS are going to be around processor requirements. For example my system has TPM 2.0, Secure Boot but my Threadripper 1950x is not a supported processor.

When final released, will MS block me installing a Windows 11 ISO for a clean install or will it allow me to install but block updates and nag me about CPU? It's still not clear to me at all.

For me, I think Windows 11 is a better UI than Windows 10 and I'm now used to it but I'm not about to buy a new motherboard and processor to continue to use it.

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    W11 installed on 10year Acer Laptop

Needless to tell that this 10-year-old Laptop is (according to MS) not suitable for use Windows 11 on it!

As the title said! Not satisfied yet! A lot of small problems too!
    The UI is looking good, no questions about that! But that's just the looking!

OK, I used to download the Windows 11 ISO from Microsoft. Created 3 Registry entries on the main installed Windows 10 Pro and used the Setup.exe from the Sources Folder to start the install. Upfront of the install of W11, I created a 146GB Partition on the same SSD as the Windows 10 Pro, without formatting that partition or even gave the drive letter to it.
    The installing of Windows 11 went just well and finished in 40min. Just to mention, the main Windows 10 Pro, was clean installed yesterday, with just a very few needed apps. So, nothing special. I also created an extra Partition of 165GB on the HDD to use to place some software etc. to it for use by both OSes.
    On that Data Drive, I placed a few apps to install on both OSes. It went fine for Windows 10 Pro but Windows 11 Pro! The problem started as I was trying to install the same apps on W11, just impossible and those apps are even not more readable, even not from Windows 10 Pro!

The next step now will be, I'll create a USB HDD or a Flash Drive with apps on it to install on Both OS. Let see how that will go.

One thing I did not found, is how to change the Date and Time Format to 24h instead of AM/PM!

Again, I'm not satisfied yet!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    One day is gone and I'm still not satisfied with Windows 11 Pro!

Both of the two OSes, Windows 11 Pro and Windows 10 Pro 21H1, running on the same SSD with the size of the Partitions, both ~146GB. Also on both the same apps are installed. The 10-year-old Laptop is an Acer Aspire 4752G with 8GB of RAM and SSD 480GB, build year 2011! CPU is an Intel I5, with NO TPM or secure boot!

There is quite some difference between these two OSes! Overall, the Windows 10 Pro is running way better on the Internet. Ok, I forget to mention that I used on both OSes just local accounts, NOT MS accounts! The biggest hurdle till now is the MS Store! For to check the speed of the Internet connection I use the Ookla Speedtest and download that app via the MS Store. On Windows 10 it's just a matter of a minute to download, install and first run. On Windows 11 it has needed more than an hour to just get it downloaded, just the install was running normally.
    The problem with Windows 11 simply was the not available MS Account! I had to restart the download of that app many times and always it hanged while W11 asked for the MS Account! There was not any way to bypass, or whatsoever, just at one moment, after an hour of trying, the download started, but much slower as on W10.
    I have a 300/300Mbps Internet connection and could normally download with a speed of 40+ MBs, on W11 that download was just 7-10MBs! Also, the Ookla Speedtest runs not as smooth on W11 as on W10!
    I installed it on both MS Office 2019 and that went on W10 with no problems and very fast, about 15min include Activation! On W11 it was a totally different 'game'! Needed to install and re-install several times until I was able to activate it!
    OK, I use a VL Version of Office 2019 because I use it for my Company and we have our own legit KMS Server. I never had activation problems before and the service from MS Thailand was useless too because they told me that they're not doing any Services for no released OSes! Thank you, MS!

I'm now thinking not to go further and wait firstly for October after the OS will be finally released by MS! And if MS is not stepping back with their new Requirement Policies, I may be done with them!

15. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    In the older versions, this is the key that controls the settings. It might still be the same on Windows11

Code:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International]
    "sLongDate"="dd MMMM yyyy"
    "sShortDate"="dd-MM-yyyy"
    "sTimeFormat"="HH:mm:ss"
    "sShortTime"="HH:mm"
    "sYearMonth"="MMMM, yyyy"
    "iFirstDayOfWeek"="0"
    "iFirstWeekOfYear"="0"

16. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    @ceo54: Thanks for your answer.
    I already found how to change that format in W11.

As for changing those formats, it also applies to many other settings, etc that quite some more steps are needed to get something changed and or added, etc! In W10 that is much easier and faster!

But I came around with another problem a few hours ago. I could not access the BIOS of this Laptop, neither the BIOS Setup itself with either DEL or F2 nor to start the BIOS Boot Manager to boot from bootable USB and more. I tried with an external USB Keyboard (even with disconnecting the Laptops Keyboard!), just the same outcome: not any BIOS action is working! I also took out the SSD with the two installed OSes and connected a normal HDD, any BIOS action isn't possible!

Both Windows 10 Pro 21H1 and Windows 11 Pro both installed on the same SSD, working as they should. I just could not boot from USB, DVD or HDD in an "DVD' Caddy!

How that could be happen and be solved? Thanks for any useful answer.