Clearing CMOS won't reset BIOS Password

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by WinFree, Dec 10, 2022.

1. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
  2. WinFree

WinFree MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2016
    I have a Gigabyte G5 KE-52NE213SH laptop. I have forgotten the Administrator BIOS password. I have tried to DUMP BIOS with these 2 tools: BACKUP_Tools20i2 and Backup_Tools19. It does not work because there is no result file when it finish. I have disabled AV and excluded them also in AV but still it won't work. My BIOS brand is INSYDE. Does anyone know why I can't DUMP BIOS? How should I proceed from now?

3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @WinFree

Since the Gigabyte laptop in question uses Insyde UEFI, can you please try putting random passwords multiple times (usually thrice) and see if the firmware shows you 8 decimal digits before locking you up?

4. WinFree

Aug 6, 2016
    Its not a user password to boot into Windows. Its a administrator password for UEFI. I can boot into bios menu but when I try to enter settings I have to enter the password which I have forgotten. I have tried what you suggested but the only message I get is that I have entered the password 3 times wrong and I have to reboot. I dont see any error codes.

5. WinFree

Aug 6, 2016
    Is there a way to dump the Insyde bios and remove the password and then re-flash the modified bios without bricking the motherboard?

6. Asparagus Lover

Asparagus Lover MDL Senior Member

May 17, 2019
    @WinFree
    I had no luck trying to perform software re-flash. I tried hard.
    It applies to BIOS on a Clevo barebones equiped with Alder Lake CPU. Those are Gigabyte G5 KE/GE/ME/KF/MF. Ping me if someone knows how this can be done.