Control Panel R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by titian, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Shayne

Shayne MDL Addicted

Jul 31, 2009
    Actually owned as trash80 (TRS80) from radio shack, but did not go there.

There is a difference in security and privacy that should not be confused. If people are gathering your habits for advertising that is one thing but if they have a backdoor and are watching what you do including your passwords, credit card, bank numbers etc. that is another. You can not justify the later, not for safety or freedom. A person that follows you around the mall spying on you may be invading your privacy, someone that breaks into your home and steals from you has breached your security. The later definitely should remain illegal. Is there any proof yet of exactly what goes on with this new OS?

We can not say someone following us around the mall is the same as them giving us aids.

Regards

2. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Shayne

Shayne MDL Addicted

Jul 31, 2009
    The backdoor into older OS is old news, it does not take away from his post.

Kind of getting tired of this evolve and dinosaurs saying over and over. That and the tin foil hat one. Are you seriously saying that a weather app and an app store, and all the other BS is evolution of the PC? We had download.com in 1995 and it is ancient history not evolution. Putting it into a desktop environment is junk, that is plan and simple. As stated earlier they were bright enough to know it and provide a way to get rid of it (LTSB edition), if not you will see another OS take over as we evolve. Please do no suggest some are old and do not like change because they spot garbage when they see it. Some love change for the better and may not like modern appz or the new start menu shoving modern appz down your throat with no way to mod it as it does not follow the DOS file format.

Regards

5. eemuler

eemuler MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2015
    I don't mind the new settings panel, just so long as they port EVERYTHING that was in the old control panel to it. I'm getting used to looking around for things tucked away in obscure locations - look what they did with MSOffice and the ribbon. But this is expected behaviour from M$. Like one of my friends keeps saying, if M$ ever decides to build a car, the first thing they'll do is to get rid of the steering wheel. :p

6. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    An ecosystem doesn't mean "one size fits all". An ecosystem consists on multiple things workin' together.
    What you're saying is that due to laziness and lack of creativity, M$ project managers prefer to implement this "one size fits all"...ahem.

7. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    What are you talking about? That's how you understand ecosystem. You possibly explain mixed ecosystem which is different from what I describe in my previous post. A complete and robust combination of different elements to form a platform. It is not a mere multiple things working together. Thank you.

You simply have no notion on how this is going to be beneficial to people in many areas including safe-keeping of information in the cloud and retrieve anywhere at your convenience.

8. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Ahem...OK.

9. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    :laie: That is the best thing that I have ever read!

10. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    The cloud or on your pc it never will be safe I guess if they want your information they will get it and there is nothing you can do to stop them ! Correction yeah low level format and nuke your hardrive :D

11. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Lol... What is so funny about that? The purpose of cloud is to preserve your data for retrieval anywhere on your devices. If you are having NSA, hackers, etc taking advantage of it don't nullify the major purpose of cloud and it securities can only get better. You know that, even some lost smartphones connected to cloud has proved the usefulness of cloud I am talking about. You are only looking at special cases.

12. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011

well, anything beyond your harddisk is beyond your control... the easy remedy is not
    putting anything in the cloud.. this cloud is rammed down our throats like all useless things,
    like uefi instead of bios, w10 instead of w7, etc, all for a reason..;)

13. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
  14. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    I'm not saying that XAML is bad, I just think it needs to be re-coded from the ground up to actually work without lag. The Control Panel starts instantly, XAML not so much. I have a gaming desktop running windows 10, and XAML still lags when I run it, like clicking the network icon, settings, etc. It's consistently slow on the nvidia gaming machine, and an intel sandy bridge netbook I run it on. It's somewhat retarded if you ask me. I know, I know. MS did ask me. But did they listen? No. Fix XAML. Somebody. Please. :sneaky:

15. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    XAML is useless, no functionality, weak and slow, totally retarded on a Desktop PC

16. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012