CPU incompatible - How to install on old computer without NX support?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by roga, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    might be much easier just to get a cpu with nx support, I had a Dell pc with an Intel 8x dual core running Windows 8. When 8.1 came out, the 8x processor wasn't compatible due to nx support or something in that manner, so after a little research I found the the 9x processors did. I coughed up a whole $10. (including ship) for a 9x processor and updated to Windows 8.1. much less work than attempting to by-pass the windows store to use an old out dated processor when for $10. I could use another old out dated processor and get it done right

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Yeah! Especially on notebooks with a soldered BGA CPU... :D

3. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    That's an assumption because the OP has not posted the brand or specs of this laptop. If he does have an SOC chip on it then he is SOL. Switching something like an 8x number intel to a 9x number intel chip is doable on many laptops

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    #24 pf100, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    There's no reason for not having an override for a hardware requirement for no execute (NX). There's bound to be a fix for it, but we have to wait for a reverse disassembler genius to run into this problem and fix it.

Edit: It should be no more complicated than redirecting the NX hardware checks anywhere it asks for it and point it do it in software instead. An ancient pentium 2 450 mhz should be able to do that, and can do that. This is a retarded requirement.

5. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    I'm running happily win 8.1 on a great TC1100 hybrid notebook from from the AD 2003 or so. It's a single core pentium M @1.1GHz.

Practically ruinning on SSD it's way faster on win 8.x than it was in 2003 with XP tablet PC 2002. And runs way better than Win 7 because W7 lacked the updated VGA drivers.

I'm sure W10 wouldn't make any big difference.

6. rjc862003

rjc862003 MDL Junior Member

Sep 4, 2009
    if the cpu is old enough not to have NX support
    then it belongs in the trash
    keep running whatever os is on it

7. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Also some useless comments belongs to the bit bucket...:D

8. roga

roga MDL Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Mine runs pentium M 1.6ghz. I cannot upgrade it to a different series cpu, motherboard wont allow it. I got 8.1 to work on it too after the PAE NX patch. Now integrated graphics card wont work properly, wrong resolution and cannot enter sleep, because Windows 8 stops supporting XP Intel drivers. I am back to Windows 7, to make graphics card work. Windows 7 is the last OS to support XP drivers. Intel did not bother to make later drivers for my graphics card. I think Windows 10 will have same problem for me as Windows 8.1, I have no choice but to remain with Windows 7.

9. Spider-Vice

Spider-Vice MDL Member

Mar 30, 2011
    I can run Windows 8.1 hacked to run without PAE/NX on an old Pentium 4... Which apparently DOES have PAE/NX but the motherboard doesn't report it, which makes the installation fail when booted normally. After the hack it runs just fine, no BSOD, no nothing. Ever.

10. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

I'm in the oppiste situation, given W7 works really poorly (WEI index 1) WEIwith the XP VGA drivers. And acceleration nedts to be disabled.

Win 8 instead, has a way improved MS generic adapter, which is even capable of some video and 3D acceleration, pushing the WEI to 2.2.

For the record the very latest TC-1100 with the CPU running at 1.2Ghz are PAE enabled, and there win 8 can be installed w/o patching it.

11. Lila

Lila MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2014
    Isn't it possible for Intel/AMD to add the missing cpu opcodes with microcode updates through Windows update?

12. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Even if it was possible, each old CPU saved from the trash would mean, a new CPU left on the shelves.

In short, more work, less money earned...

13. hanzzon2

hanzzon2 MDL Member

Dec 1, 2007
  14. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Yes it is, and Microsoft has done it, this actually caused a huge mess with the Haswell during the insider preview.

Motherboard MFG's had to scramble to add the micro code to the BIOS to stop the PC from infinite looping, because Intel use to give it to the Mobo MFG and this time for some reason gave it to micro.

15. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014
    Yes, and so Microsoft had little or nothing to do with it...;) People assume that every driver coming down through WU is written by Microsoft--no, no...;) Microsoft doesn't write the hardware drivers for most hardware and devices Windows supports (except for very generic device drivers meant to be used only to boot the system until the appropriate OEM drivers can be installed)....what happens is that Microsoft receives the hardware drivers from the IHVs/OEMs and then places those drivers on WU, where they are installed by end users. It isn't Microsoft's job to manage the opcode/microcode in the cpus that Intel or AMD make--that's up to Intel & AMD, of course. Motherboard makers were "scrambling" to get working drivers out to their laptop customers who had decided to upgrade their laptops to Win10 without checking with the manufacturer of their laptops first--which is what you *always* have to do to stay on top of things with laptops. Laptop OEMs are often sorry in the lazy way they do things like update their device drivers for new OSes--what they'd rather people do is buy new laptops for Win10--as opposed to simply upgrading their existing laptops to use Win10--don't ya' know.

The Insider Preview program was supposed to cater to people knowledgeable enough to want to work with beta OS code and put up with buggy software, including the odd buggy driver here and there--it was never intended for the general public at large. That caveat however was largely ignored by many people who later came to bitterly regret their rash decision to join the "Insider Preview" program...;)

I most fault the laptop OEMs, however, for not putting up a "What you should do if you want to join the Windows 10 Insider Preview program" sections on their web sites. But, in predictable fashion, laptop manufacturers wait for the house to catch fire before putting up the no-smoking signs, and so I have little sympathy for either them or their rash laptop customers...;)

16. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #37 odiebugs1, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    That was about CPU microcode, nothing about drivers.

I wasn't blaming, just answering the question, Microsoft put out a update and decided to add a Microcode, this in turn caused a problem, so Mobo MFG's had to add it to the BIOS so the code was read by the BIOS first so it didn't cause a boot loop.

If you saw the feedback, you would know there were thousands who probably can't run XP acting as insiders.

That's a good idea about the MFG's, did you see what happened with 8, that was a hundred times worse, win 10 didn't need a BIOS/ UEFI update because the kernel wasn't changed drastically like from 7 to 8. It's probably why microsoft didn't make major changes or people would have had so many problems, and they didn't want that again.

Never had any problems with any win 8.1 drivers all the way back to start of insider with a 9 series. Just a FYI.