Creator's Update's GAME-functions are SINISTER and non-removable!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MonarchX, May 17, 2017.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    There has to be SOME kind of control for which DLL files get to lock onto DWM or Explorer... You can terminate Windows.Gaming.Input.dll from Threads and PC keeps working perfectly fine without it... There are also lot's of registry entries related to DWM, but messing with them resulted in Edge not working, so I don't recommend doing that...

2. jfreeman

jfreeman MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2015
    Perhaps you should have just disabled game bar in settings? Just checked and it prevents both game bar presence writer and broadcast dvr from running. At least im not seeing them in task manager. No need to butcher your system.

upload_2017-5-23_8-42-58.png

3. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    Ir runs, when you start the game. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

4. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    From the perspective of the owner of a windows 10 gaming machine that will never use windows store games because of principle: If the only way to kill game mode right now is to kill edge, then I'll gladly kill edge until a better way is found. I don't use edge anyway. I do play games. I realize that some people use edge for whatever reason, but let's leave it up to them to choose using edge over the option of killing game mode. Just make a disclaimer: This method kills game mode but also kills edge. Serious gamers would be able to make an intelligent decision as to what is most important to them.

5. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Why do you say that? I used LTSB edition of Windows 10 that does not have Edge or supposed to have Edge, so I integrated it with MSMG Toolkit, but I also got rid of all gaming-related stuff with other image editing tools. MS did something with Creator's Update that no matter what you do, it messes with refresh rates when it comes to madVR and ReClock anyway. I do not have ANY similar issues with LTSB + integrated Edge.

6. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    Depends on the game? I never see it running on the games I play :g:

7. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014
    It is most noticeable on games you run that used to run fine but starting with 16188 now won't run at all--I've got three games in that profile to date. And it really has nothing whatever to do with Windows Store because I don't use the Windows Store at all for anything--and D3d games that used to run fine simply stopped running at all beginning with 16188. If I change APIs, however, for instance to use GLIDE instead of D3d, then the games will run fine. Whatever Microsoft is doing is negatively impacting d3d--and they need to cut it out, ASAP. Donna's notes for 16199 make mention of it--but do not shed much light on it--in "known issues" she says "Game like Civilization VI may not run"--but that's it. What she means by that cryptic remark is anybody's guess. Microsoft needs to really do a lot better in the future when they break something--to explain what's going on. And, turning off all game mode switches has no effect--the games that used to run still won't run--because the dlls are still being loaded. You have to look for them, though, as they are buried inside running svhost instances.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Demencial777

Demencial777 MDL Junior Member

Dec 30, 2012
    Stupid and dumb question? Isn't this having to do with the new driver model Microsoft is introducing in CU? IIRC it's WDM 2.2 or something...

9. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    That is my guess. It all points to it and I think its deep integrated/hard-coded into DWM.exe or something like that. There is no way to disable it and it messed up video playback with madVR and ReClock on one of my display devices too.

10. as9j0das90d

as9j0das90d MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2015
    #30 as9j0das90d, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    killing explorer while gaming is not an option?
    something like this .bat file
    Code:
    taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
    cd C:\gamez\DAI
    start /WAIT DragonAgeInquisition.exe
    start explorer

11. dsbig

dsbig MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    you had to do the same thing in windows vista/windows 7 with explorer for much older games....lol

12. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Just FYI - NTLite Free Version allows for clean removal of this unholy crap. It will not prevent the use of WDDM 2.2 of course, but it will cleanly remove Xbox/GameDVR/Game-Mode/BroadCastDVR and related files with breaking DISM Component Store integrity and/or file integrity. The OS will continue to be update-able, but updates will not re-create KnownGameList.bin file or related DLL files, which means Windows 10 Creator's Update won't be detecting your games and applying God-knows-what "Optimizations".

13. dmex

dmex MDL Junior Member

Apr 20, 2011
    The 'optimizations' are based on MMCSS and all it does is give games a higher priority.

14. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Does it know that it is a game using the KnownGameList.bin file?

15. CommanderHK47

CommanderHK47 MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2012
    Hey did you make a write up on the steeps needed to cleanup any left over keys/other elements?

I'm also starting to look into the MDT.

16. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    NTLite does an excellent job cleaning up such elements.

I also want to capture my image to make it a reference one, but MDT seems complicated... I also want to make sure that the reference image is update-able.

17. khey

khey MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2016
    Any update on this ?

18. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Either use 2016 LTSB or go with the recommendations in this thread. Those are the only options I see.

19. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Hello @MonarchX - Thanks for the suggestion. I mentioned the problem in Chatbox about a week ago that Win10 Fall Creator's Update slowed down/disabled several of my games, and mentioned it again on another thread several days ago, but no one seemed to be interested or cared. Glad to see someone on the forum finally taking on this problem. One thing worth noting: I had zero issues with Build 1703, these problems only began for me with Build 1709. Maybe a side by side analysis will reveal whatever was added and/or changed between the two builds that affects gaming so badly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    NTlite the crap out of 1709 to its bare bones and all game issues will be resolved.