Dell bios recovery procedure (confirmed)

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by danwalmsley, May 4, 2010.

1. remaxpet

remaxpet MDL Novice

Dec 1, 2019
    #61 remaxpet, Dec 1, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Hey folks!
    Could you please enlighten me on how to recover my bricked Inspiron 5520.
    Currently it beeps until I power it off in a 1-1-1-... pattern (which means "Corrupted BIOS" I suppose).

What I've tried so far:
    1. Downloaded the most recent BIOS (that is 5520A17.exe)
    2. Extracted the firmware (QCL00A17.fd)
    UPD: 2.1. Rename the firmware to QCL00X64.f? (replace the ?)
    3. Put the firmware to a USB stick (8GB FAT32 worked well for me)
    4. Plugged in the stick (tried all ports) and attached the AC power source (while holding the END key)
    5. Noticed how the USB stick blinks a few times
    6. Waited a decent amount of time.

As you've already guessed, now I am pretty much stuck and need your help.
    Am I missing something?
    Shall I rename the firmware as I noticed some people do (to what?) or make some extra steps in addition to those mentioned already?

UPD: Phoenix Tool suggested the filename to be QCL00X64.f? and (guess what) it worked like a charm!
    (of course I replaced the .f? with the proper extension)

That said, I confirm this BIOS recovery method works properly for Dell Inspiron 5520.
    Thanks for reading.
    Cheers!

2. Serg008

Serg008 MDL BIOS/EFI Guru

Feb 23, 2010
    3.1 rename QCL00A17.fd to QCL00X64.fd
    3.2 Put the firmware to a USB stick (8GB FAT32)
    ---

3. Mydellcrashed

Mydellcrashed MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2019
    Hey, any chance you can help me out? I have the same model as you but I'm not able to get the procedure working.

4. MohammadBaqir

MohammadBaqir MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2019
    Alienware chances for alienware 17 r1

5. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    And the method for Dell Latitude E6420 ?

I put the A25 bios. Computer works partially. Can't reflash (power-off on reboot so flashing process don't start).

I would like to try another version of the BIOS, maybe roll-back to A16.

Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. pcnavarra

pcnavarra MDL Senior Member

Nov 13, 2017
  7. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. pcnavarra

pcnavarra MDL Senior Member

Nov 13, 2017
    Not that i know but it can do exists.

9. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Finally, I fixed my laptop with the help of someone on another forum. I had to buy a flash programmer wich "clamp" and dump my current bios. Then we replaced the MEI firmware by a default/non-configured one and reflash my laptop.

Working again!

10. scpres

scpres MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2020
    Hello

I know this message is 10 years old. But if you come across with dell precision m4800 bios can you please help as I corrupted the bios after update. Thanks

11. scpres

scpres MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2020

Is there any chance that this will work on precision m4800. When I updated the bios the intel management engine firmware update is the culprit and not my PC won’t boot at all? No dell logo. It all started when I change to uefi boot.
    Hope you can help

12. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    You are making already multiple posts for help, but have so far been denied information about your Dell Precision M4800.
    Please try to understand that the computer with this name has a lot of different configurations and different editions and they are very different from each other. For example, they definitely have different BIOS versions starting with M4800A04 and ending with M4800A26, and maybe some more that I don't know.
    Some of them only work in legacy mode, some also in UEFI mode.
    As long as nothing (absolutely nothing) is known other than the trade name, it is not possible to give any advice. The computers with the same name have been very different.

13. thenny71

thenny71 MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2020
    Good morning.

I have a Dell XPS 9Q33 and a couple of days ago when trying to update with the latest bios from the DELL page, it stayed at 35% and the fan was running non-stop and black screen. Disconnect the battery at 2 hours and no longer turn on.
    After reading through some forums I have managed to turn it on with the "END" key. I have downloaded the penultimate BIOS from the Dell website (9Q33_A09. Exe) but I cannot create the HDR file - I do not get the command in MSDOS. On the other hand, according to what I read here. I downloaded an application from the AMI page (Afu for APTIO V) and with that application I have managed to open the bios EXE and save it as .ROM. I create the file afuwin.rom. Could someone tell me if I can use this file to install the bios from USB by following the manual that comes out at the beginning of this POST.
    I will appreciate any help.

Thank you

14. vandalay2013

vandalay2013 MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2020
    I have the exact same problem on my XPS 9Q33. Did you ever figure out what the .ROM filename should be?

15. douglev

douglev MDL Novice

Jan 29, 2021
    Can anyone advise about a bricked (after BIOS update failure) Dell Precision M3800 (with i7-4712HQ, highest-def touchscreen graphics)? Tried to update BIOS A09->A14. Hung after 28% written. Eventually had to turn it off -> black screen, wouldn't power up. After reading many threads, I disconnected battery and AC, held down power for 30+ sec, held down End and plugged in AC. Immediately the fan started at full speed and power button flashes (blinks) white. (Fan stops if I hold down power button.) I got both the A09 and A14 BIOS exe install files from Dell (Dell recommended A14 as "urgent"...), created a HDR and a ROM file for each (/writehdrfile, etc.). I found that Andy P's tool seems to be gone from that website (no tool is listed with the recommended name). I tried changing the filename prefixes according to two suggestions in threads: ZAU50A09 (or A14), or AAU00 prefix (those characters appear on listings for the motherboard online). A 16GB USB key (FAT32) in the back right (USB 2.0) or any other port, and just the two relevant files (hdr, rom) in the \ directory. The USB drive never lights up when the power goes on.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Does anyone know how to find that Andy P tool now? But if the USB key does not light up, it seems that the process does not work?? Thanks.

16. shakeyplace

shakeyplace MDL Addicted

May 5, 2007
    AndyP's tool thread, the latest link still seems valid for v 2.73

Tool to Insert/Replace SLIC in Phoenix / Insyde / Dell / EFI BIOSes | My Digital Life Forums

if in doubt open hdr file with winhex and search for hdr, it will show the prefix required, in a format such as ZUA50???HDR or whatever the correct name is. there is often two results. I may have time later today to check.
    Try each usb port. I have recovered a number of Dell models and it seems one port is a primary port that works.
    If you get right port and right prefix the light should light up. If it does you did it right. Be patient, it may take a few seconds before process starts (not long, but a few seconds)
    USB needs to be formatted fat32, does not need to be bootable, but needs to be fat32

17. helloman22

helloman22 MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2021
    #77 helloman22, Feb 6, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    Hi AnarethoS,
    I have a similar issue on my PC (dell e6430atg)
    My PC doesn't boot anymore: when I press the power-on button, it makes no beep or hdd sound, the screen stays black, no POST.
    I'd like to reflash my bios, but I have some inexperiences with retrievement of ROM file.
    I know that e6430 series have 2x chip for bios (4MB winbond 25Q32 and 8MB winbond 25Q64).
    I read your post, in which you explain you have recovered your PC with the Flash of the BIOS (and 'magical' clamp).
    Where did you find proper ROM files?
    Do you know a way to extract the ROM files from the official BIOS (solutions [-writeromfile] or [/ WriteromFile] do not work)?
    I'm in you hands! Thank you so much

18. eazydaz

eazydaz MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2021
    Please someone know how can I flash bios with ROM file? not HDR.

19. markdewet

markdewet MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2022
    #79 markdewet, Aug 28, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
    Good day,
    Apologies, I found the new thread option.

20. sarry86

sarry86 MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2018
    #80 sarry86, Sep 21, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2023
    Mine shows L521X.bi? Could it be L521X.bios/bin? Because I have tried renaming it into that but still failing to recognize it