[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. Timmmer

Timmmer MDL Novice

Sep 23, 2018
    #8941 Timmmer, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    Good day everyone...I have the latest version of Win 10 on my PC. I have an older Homerun Dual Network tuner. I installed the media centre package located at the beginning of this thread, got it installed, searched for tuners and it found both of the Silicon Dust network attached tuners. However, when I do a channel scan...it cannot find any channels. I know the channels work because they play in other apps and via the Homerun app. And when I look under settings it doesn't appear that media centre is even linked to EPG data. When I try to enter channels manually, media centre accepts them, but if I try to open the guide, it states that there are no channels and I have to do a scan. I wasted an entire Sunday reading and trying to fix this with no luck.

Am I just wasting my time? I could have loaded Win 7 and been done three times by now.

2. darkradeon

darkradeon MDL Junior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Did anyone try WMC on Win10 version 1809?

3. NEMEO

NEMEO MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2015
    Just came here to report that I have successfully got WMC running on 1809. First impressions seem ok after doing the usual WMC hacks.

Patched WMC with the v8.8.1 installer. The installer I already had on my PC (v12 I think?) did not work and threw the error message: "the specified package is not applicable to this image".

Focus assist in 1809 does not appear to be causing issues like it did in 1803 (slow to enter/exit fullscreen mode).

Needed to fix the thumbnail problem again, with the workaround on page 446: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...10-final-possible-alternatives.61061/page-446

4. darkradeon

darkradeon MDL Junior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Does MSVidCtl.dll still need to be replaced/patched?

5. NEMEO

NEMEO MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2015
    #8945 NEMEO, Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    EDIT: Yes, MSVidCtl.dll will need to be replaced again after upgrading.

6. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Anyone tried Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 yet

7. Aly

Aly MDL Member

Feb 27, 2008
    I too had to use 8.81 on 1809 upgraded from 1803. The previous WMC gave the same error that @NEMEO had. :orb:

What does replacing MSVidCtl.dll do?

8. ymcabc

ymcabc MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2014
    #8948 ymcabc, Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    Just update to 1809 and do the followings:
    -reinstall v8.8.1 wmc
    -replace the new MSVidCtl.dll to old version
    -copy the old EncDec.dll to system32 folder & regedit the reg key by the above methods.

After doing this,
    -the old & new TV recordings also can generate the thumbnail images.
    -the new TV recordings cannot fast forward when playing in WMC, but can fast forward when playing in VLC player; the old TV recordings playing without this problem in WMC & VLC player<--EDIT: No problem after reboot again, may be caused by the new TV recording is recorded before reboot after replacing the new MSVidCtl.dll to old version.

9. lachape_one

lachape_one MDL Novice

May 17, 2016
  10. BillTech

BillTech MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2010
    still no cable card detection?

11. lachape_one

lachape_one MDL Novice

May 17, 2016
    Any chance if someone can give us one or two Xbox for developing and testing purpose

12. jachin99

jachin99 MDL Junior Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Maybe if enough people each give ya a few bucks then we could all chip in and get ya one. I would be willing to chip in 5 or 10 if others would match. Idk if you could do something like go fund me or what but a way to keep track of things will likely help your chances. Of course if it doesn't work out then everyone pays for nothing but I'm willing to take that chance with a few bucks.

13. sxotty

sxotty MDL Novice

May 23, 2016
    You are likely wasting your time, but I will say mine just randomly started working months later. I could never get the EPG data and the guide did not work but it seemed to arbitrarily begin to work. Sorry I do not have a solution, but I just want you to know that others have run into the same problem. Mine began working this August. I am currently on 1709. I tried the fall update and WMC quit working, though above there is a post saying it does work. So maybe I can try again.

14. Gareth North

Gareth North MDL Junior Member

Jan 27, 2016
    Hi,

Just been upgrading all my machines to 1803 from 1607 and everything is fine on my desktop and laptop but my two Intel NUC's are not working in one regard that being when Windows Media Center is maximised then its frozen unusable. If you wait a while and press windows flag key on keyboard you might be able to get start menu up that draws attention away from media center and then be able to click resize button in top right corner and it then to work again but not full screen if you full screen again back to freezing.

When doing the initial build of windows 10 with no internet plugged in and no recourse to windows update and the standard basic low res video card driver windows 10 puts on for my gcard windows media center works fine. If I grab all updates including latest gcard one or go back to base image with no updates and individually put intel gcard driver on windows media center works fine when the screen res has gone high but on restart media center freezes when maximised. Put a really old beta version of the gcard dirver on and same again bigger res and media center working at this bigger res but on reboot (the reboot having to be done to fully install the gcard driver) media center cannot go full screen without freezing..

My desktop has 1803 build and fully up to date and Asus gcard in it and no issues pressing green button on the remote and media center being full screen. My laptop has Intel 4000 HD gcard and that's fine too. My NUC's have Intel 5500 HD and 6000 Intel HD gcard and both of them misbehave,

There is clearly something centered around gcard driver that prevents media center not freezing when maximised. Anyone have any suggestions to fix?

Best Regards

Gareth

15. Delphiwizard

Delphiwizard MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2015
    Just to be clear, build 1803 is not the latest October update, 1803 is the update from April 2018; the October update is 1809 and is still unavailable - except in the test circle - due to reported problems.

16. guho

guho MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2012
    I have wmc CableCard running well on win10 1511. Have not read this thread for a while. Has this been made to work under 1809? Thanks.

17. Darkhorseman

Darkhorseman MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2018
    Hey Guys,
    Long time user righ now I am running a linux backend with myth tv as the server and i have two silicone dust tuners they are the 3 tuner primes To make a long story short I have no problems with this setup but I really miss windows media center as when it was up it worked awesome Now i have the latest windows 10 sitting on my machine here is the problem i am having trying to get it to work with my tuners. I have followed the instructions wmc comes up no problem but when i go to set up livetv it cannot findthe tuners... Thenetwork is right and I can use the homerunapp to work on the machineand stream tv no issues its just i get this no turner available and kicks meback to the main ui thread.. If there is anyone that could help me with this issue it would be greatly appreciated i would love to get mce working again. I have tried the work arounds and i set up my uners as bda and windows media center so i am just not understand why it will not find the tuners any help would be appreciated

18. ktide1

ktide1 MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2016
    Long story short: you can't do cablecard on the latest Windows 10 version. Anniversary update and forward breaks WMC for cablecard users IIRC. I believe 1511 is the last version where you could get everything to work on cablecard - it's the one I'm currently using. And you'll have to lock it down - no updates or anything, or else it won't stay working for very long.