[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. technodevotee

technodevotee MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2015
    We live in a world where websites can be translated at the touch of a button so instead of typing a few words in pidgin English that don't make sense, w
    hy don't you explain, in Italian, details of the problem you are having and what you have done to try and solve it. That way, we might be able to help you.

2. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    As far as I know the DRM system needed hasn't worked on Windows 10 since version 1511 so most people who need it either stay with an old version and completely disable windows updates or don't use Windows 10 at all.

3. Whiznot

Whiznot MDL Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Thank you. I knew that there was a past time when technical people here had DRM compliant on some version of Windows 10. So Microsoft shut the door for my cable company.

4. rkwilson

rkwilson MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2016
    Is it just me or does this link to the download point to a site that tries to download anything but the installer or archive file? Now getting "Infected with virus, click here"

5. rkwilson

rkwilson MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2016
    Please help, it's probably just me but I've tried all links I can find to files and mirrors for WMC-V8.8.1_x64_by_T-S.7z (preferred if I can get to it) and WMC_6.3.9600.16384_x64_v12.7z and, apart from being redirected to malware sites getting multiple attempts to install viruses, nothing seems to work. Can someone point me to a reliable link to download the archive files. Probably just being a total Luddite but I can't seem to get there. Many thanks

6. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    No, it isn't just you. People have been reporting the malware issues you mentioned for years and unfortunately, whoever was keeping everything together on page one seems to have moved on so we now have bits and pieces all over the place here, on The Green Button and on windowsmediacenter.fr.

Version 12 won't install on Windows 10 after 1803 so I created V13 and information about that is available here:
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...ible-alternatives.61061/page-469#post-1530669
    and here:
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...ible-alternatives.61061/page-469#post-1531053

Things have moved on a bit since then and details of known issues can be found in the installer.

Versions 8.8.1 has been superseded by 8.8.2 and 8.8.3 and information about those are here:
    and here:
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...ible-alternatives.61061/page-458#post-1515101

7. Linux_92

Linux_92 MDL Novice

Sep 27, 2016
    ho spostato tutta la cartella scaricata in c. non mi da piu le scritte rosse ma quando avvio installler.cmd da amministratore non appare niente nel cmd. e poi appare la finestra vuota.
    uso winndows 1903 64 bit

8. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #9448 technodevotee, Jul 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    please show a screenshot of the contents of the installer folders you have now.

please also describe what happens if you run _testrights.cmd.

9. j.c.f.

j.c.f. MDL Member

Mar 1, 2016
    So having changed my server task to run as the logged on user it's pulling it's updates from SD reliably and when WMC isn't recording it also updates the client on that machine (and the clients on other machines pull their EPG from it nicely). However when it's recording it's unable to update the local client EPG -- or put it this way, your lovely icon on the splash page of WMC indicates it was updated the day before, haven't dived deep enough to determine whether the guide data itself has been updated and only the icon update is failing. Using the EPG123 Client and clicking Manual Update succeeds however, regardless of whether something is being recorded or not.

10. garyan2

garyan2 MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2015
    There had been a couple reports that importing the guide information may abort an active recording. EPG123 will pause importing the guide information until 1-minute after the latest end-time of any active recordings (or 1-hour later, whichever is soonest). If at that time, there is another active recording, it will pause until 1-minute after the latest end-time, or 1-hour, again. It will do this until you have exceed 5 hours from your original update time. If you check the trace.log file, you will see how the events unfolded.

Personally, I was never able to duplicate the aborted recordings, but I put the protection in place anyway. If you want to force the update regardless of your recording status, you can add the -f switch to the epg123client task action. Reference page 15 of the installation guide.

Note that this scenario is only for importing the guide listings into a WMC that is recording. The MXF file generation will still work and all your clients that are not recording will still update as scheduled.

EDIT: I should mention that a manual import assumes the user wants to force the update. The user is in control of when the import happens and the client will perform the import without complaint.

11. j.c.f.

j.c.f. MDL Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Yeah, I was wondering about integrating that update with recording service, never occurred to me that you would automatically reschedule the update though, very nice. My Saturday recording schedule tends to be all day so I guess it'll eventually just time out some time in the day and if I'm antsy I can goose it manually like I have been. Knowing my luck I'll forget about the possible recording interruption and months from now I'll be all WTF when I screw a recording up.

12. Linux_92

Linux_92 MDL Novice

Sep 27, 2016
  13. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    As previously stated, the installer doesn't like spaces in the path
    Code:
    Preparations:

- After you download the pack, make sure the .7z file is Unblocked
    to do so, right click on file, check properties general - click Unblock button if present

- Extract the file to a directory with short spaceless path (example: C:\WMC) to avoid troubles

- Make sure there are no pending servicing updates operations
    so please remove the space in 'new wmc-v13_64' and try again.

14. Linux_92

Linux_92 MDL Novice

Sep 27, 2016
    thank you very very very(to infinite) much
    NOW WORKK!!!

15. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
  16. j.c.f.

j.c.f. MDL Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I notice that my EPG123 watermark is yellow with a bang in it today so was looking in the trace.log and see what I assume is the cause of the problem:

[7/11/2019 8:27:03 AM] [WARNG] Program EP024543900206 is missing required content.
    [7/11/2019 8:27:03 AM] [WARNG] Did not cache program EP024543900206 due to missing Md5 hash.

No big cause for concern I suppose, we'll see if it goes away tomorrow but it occurs to me should I be setting up some sort of logrotate on trace.log? I could see that thing getting real big after a while.

17. garyan2

garyan2 MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2015
    When the file gets to 1MB, EPG123 will put a timestamp on the filename and start a new log file. At most you will have two 1MB old files and the current active file. Older files will be deleted.

18. j.c.f.

j.c.f. MDL Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Very nice.

19. skiing87

skiing87 MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2018
    Is it possible to edit anything in the registry to adjust the timeout on the overlay in Windows Media Center? I'm talking about the one that shows on mouse movement, and has the play/pause, volume buttons, etc... It seems about 5-6 seconds for it to disappear, but I'd like it to be 1 sec.

Thanks