[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. randog311

randog311 MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2019
    [QUOTE="technodevotee, post: 1539472,

I don't know if a full Windows reset is necessary. It seem rather extreme to me but if you don't use the PC for anything else it may be the simplest answer.
    [/QUOTE]
    I performed a Full Windows 10 Pro Reset (all Files removed) with Internet Unplugged, I turned off all permissions (Read: Big Brother is Watching you) with exception of Voice Permissions (I don't have a Mic connected anyways), I loaded WMC-V8.8.4 previously saved to D: Drive.
    Once I reached the Settings portion that asked for the Zip code I then connected the Internet.
    Bingo: The Guide had now populated and so far is performing flawlessly.
    Looks great on my 65" 4K Screen and I am very pleased with my new Graphics Card (MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB itx).
    Thanks again for all of your Replys, randog311

2. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    do you also
    check there are no ehome dirs in
    C:\Windows
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft
    if there are follow the "Uninstall Note:" in the readme file

3. bootloop

bootloop MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2016
    #9504 bootloop, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    Big second from me on thanks for 8.8.4! Works flawlessly on two 1903 installations now and will be doing another today.

Not to seem ungrateful for your great work so far, but any chance of a 32bit version Kévin Chalet? It's really no problem for me using the x86 v13 from technodevotee, i'm just basically lazy i guess .... ;)

4. Polusantus

Polusantus MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2019
    It works!!! I want to thank you for your amazing work and kindness. :)

5. Kévin Chalet

Kévin Chalet MDL Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Technically, this should be possible and hopefully, not too complicated: we just need a copy of MSVidCtl.dll and EncDec.dll extracted from Windows 8.1 Pro 32 bits and CPFilters.dll from Windows 10 1809 32 bits (I initially tried with a copy from Windows 8.1 Pro but all I got was a "license expired" error in WMC :)).

Then, we'll need to extract and remove the 32 bits manifests from the main WMC .exe using Resource Hacker: ehrecvr.exe (receiver service), ehshell.exe (main UI) and ehvid.exe (video analysis).
    Once done, these manifests will have to be tweaked to reference the 3 assembly manifests I added since 8.8.2:
    • Microsoft.Windows.CPFilters.manifest
    • Microsoft.Windows.TVEncDec.manifest
    • Microsoft.Windows.Video.TVVideoControl.manifest
    Ideally, the other fixes introduced in 8.8.3 and 8.8.4 should be ported too.

The thing is I no longer have any 32 bits prod' machine so I'll have to download these versions from MSDN and run them on Hyper-V.
    Nothing complicated, just time that needs to be spent (and I can't say I have much spare time these days :))

6. colonelcasey

colonelcasey MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2015
    Just offering another data point. Upgraded from 1803 to 1903 this weekend. Ran the uninstall and re-install files from 8.8.4 and everything works great! Thanks for the work to keep MCE going!

7. Dean Hedin

Dean Hedin MDL Novice

Aug 11, 2019
    Thanks. The 8.8.4 recently posted in this thread fixed my problems.

I had picked up a HD tuner off of ebay that fit in my mini pcie slot on my older Shuttle PC last year for $8.
    The driver is Avermedia A323 MiniCard Hybrid ATSC.

It was working for some time with the WMC that was in a Windows 10 beta build that I installed last year....but the latest windows 10 updates killed it.

Thanks many times over for those who worked this out.

8. Spratz

Spratz MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2018
    I'm on build 1903 & haven't managed to get it working properly yet
    8.8.4 - installs fine, the guide is populated (uninstall, reboot then install)
    but if I click on a channel I get tuner conflict - all tuners are currently in use
    but last night I realized I can hit record & watch that live via the saved folder via a different player
    so at least I can watch TV but a little awkwardly
    maybe 8.8.5 ?

9. Kévin Chalet

Kévin Chalet MDL Member

Apr 11, 2019
    #9511 Kévin Chalet, Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    @Gareth North woo, very nice setup! I can't imagine how much time you've spent tweaking it :cool:

To list TV programs located on your NAS, I guess you use the WatchedFolders registry key?
    It's the approach I briefly used after moving to Windows 10 as the "shared" tab was no longer working (due to HomeGroup no longer being a thing in recent versions of Windows 10).

Though not perfect - mostly because it needs to re-scan each TV program located on a network path after each start - I really missed the "shared" tab, since it was a quite convenient way to "copy" programs from other machines.

So I investigated and discovered there was an undocumented (read secret :D) registry key that allows you to list arbitrary static UNC shares that will be used by the "shared" tab.

If you're interested, let me know and I'll ask @lachape_one if I can write a short post describing how it works for his blog.

@Spratz weird, that's the first time I hear that. Have you tried to reboot your machine and reinstall WMC?

10. johnlgalt

johnlgalt MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2013
    Just found this, thanks to another site that posted about it back in October 2018. I have recently cleanly installed 1903 with all of my drivers, apps, games, etc (a long process, to be sure) and after backing up I will be adding this to my repertoire.

Thanks to all the devs who've contributed to this project over the years, including you, @Kévin!

11. salute

salute MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    Anyone successfully runs WMC together with DVBLink with Windows 1903?

I have a fresh install of Windows 1903. I can install and start WMC 8.8.4 without problems.

After installation of WMC I can install the tuners and find the TV channels, but I cannot start Live TV (it's grayed out).

I also tried to install the MSVidCtl.dll to the System32 folder. No success.

12. technodevotee

technodevotee MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2015
  13. Alex_de_Large

Alex_de_Large MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2016
    Hi. I experience exactly the same issue. But, and here is where it gets mysterious, I experienced it already on Win 1809 with WMC 8.8.2 a couple of days ago. Beforehand I changed nothing in my configuration and everything was running smoothly.
    The only thing that happened in-between was windows installing a cumulative update and an update regarding the .net framework.

After experiencing the problem I updated to 1903 and (re)installed WMC 8.8.4 afterwards to see if that helps. With no success so far.

I strongly assume that the reason is one of these two updates mentioned above
    So any help would be highly appreciated.

14. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #9517 technodevotee, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    @aquadextrous is definitely saying here https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...ible-alternatives.61061/page-460#post-1516433 that dvblink will only work with 8.8.1 after manually doing all the workarounds.

I created my addons to carry out the tasks required to keep WMC working so again, I would say either install 8.8.1 and download my fix_thumbnails and replace_dlls add-ons or download V13, which includes them. Then you can run the add-ons to fix problems as you encounter them.

15. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #9518 technodevotee, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    I should probably elaborate on my reasoning why I think my fix_thumnails add-on would fix problems with dvblink.

Being as WMC was part of Windows, it was safe for the developers to use Windows subsystems as they knew that no-one was going to modify them without taking into account the affect such modifications would have on WMC. However, since MS no longer support WMC, they are free to change parts of Windows without worrying about the effect it might have on WMC.

Authors of third party software that uses Windows subsystems obviously have to be aware that MS could change stuff at any time and need to keep their software updated so that it doesn't stop working.

As we know, MS have changed the functionality of a number of system DLLs and they have 'broken' WMC as a result. In response to this, Kevin Chalet has continually modified WMC so that it uses copies of the versions of DLLs it needs located in the ehome folder. However, while the work that Kevin has done has fixed WMC for the foreseeable future, it doesn't help third party software.

My approach has been to make the task of replacing system DLLs with versions that WMC needs easier and I created replace_dlls add-on to do the job. The downside of this being that it may 'break' software that expects them to be the most recent versions.

A while back, Microsoft moved the functionality provided in encdec into MSVidCtl but WMC relies on encdec - the most obvious issue being the lack of thumbnails. There were a few articles about how to get them back but they were quite complicated for non-technical people so I created fix_thumbnails to do the job of restoring encdec.dll and fixing the registry entries that MS had messed with.

However, I am certain that this codec is used by software other than WMC because, at around the same time, the software I use to play DVDs and Blu-Rays stopped working and when I ran my fix_thumbnails to get WMC working, that started working again as well. Within a matter of a couple of weeks, the vendor issued an update which fixed the problem on another PC that doesn't have WMC.

Since then, MS have actually entirely removed the registry entries that link to encdec and I have had to use fix_thumnails to fix WMC again.

16. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    The files in 8.8.1 are similar to the V12 ones I used to create V13. The main difference is that the V8 ones have been patched to get extenders working. Unfortunately, those patches prevent WMC running full screen in an RDP session, which is something I don't like.

So, either version should work with DVBlink as long as you put back old DLLs. My add-ons replace newer DLLs with ones from 1709 and so far, I haven't had any problem using them.

It depends on your requirements of course but the reason I recommend people use V13 over V8.8.1 is that my add-ons are included with it so they can be run whenever required straight from the installer folder. They can also be downloaded and used with any 64bit version but that creates extra work.

V13 is the only version available in 32bit that will install on Windows 10 after 1803.