[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. Kévin Chalet

Kévin Chalet MDL Member

Apr 11, 2019
    It's definitely not new and should work even on Windows 7 and 8.1 (with the built-in version of WMC I mean).

2. technodevotee

technodevotee MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2015
    Have you checked that wake timers are enabled in power options?

Untitled.png
    If they are, the only thing I can suggest is to uninstall and reinstall.

3. HKindler

HKindler MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2019
    #9623 HKindler, Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Hi technodevotee,

this was set to “only important wake timer”. Noe I set it to “enable”.
    I will check if it works now as soon as possible. My wife is watching TV now. So i’m Not allowed to switch it to standby right now, ;)

Thank you so much for your help!

Edit: I could convince my wife that it’s important to switch to standby if she wants to have her favorite tv-series recorded. So I could test it. AND IT WORKS!
    Once again: you are my hero!

4. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    @HKindler,

glad it is working.

P.S.
    Someone mentioned a German Windows Media Center website a while back but I couldn't find it. Any idea what it is called?

5. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #9625 technodevotee, Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    I can't get it to work either. It seems to scan the PC with the shared folder but when I click on 'shared' is says there's nothing in there.

If I go the other route and connect to the same shared folder, everything appears in the same place as local 'Recorded TV'.

Does it rely on something that I'm not using?

6. Kévin Chalet

Kévin Chalet MDL Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Nope. Just note it takes time (specially if you have many files). Take a look at the process manager to confirm the ehshell.exe process uses some bandwidth.

7. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    yes it did for at least ten minutes then - hold the phone, they've just appeared!

That's great TVM!

8. Gareth North

Gareth North MDL Junior Member

Jan 27, 2016
    Hi Kevin

I have got it to work! Kind of never really noticed that shared option above there in Recorded TV it shows all my shows now via this shared way there is a slight delay but not too bad though! Its nice having the ability to grab a file recorded on one client machine and copy it to the local hard drive of another client machine that's kinda Cool!

Can you confirm though that if you are recording a show on one machine you fully get the metadata of a show come through while its recording when viewing the shared folder from another machine shared this way as currently its the same as the watched folders way and doesn't show the meta data. As I was under the assumption that it would!

Gareth North

9. HKindler

HKindler MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2019
    Yes, I know that one. Thanks for the hint.

10. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    You aren't kidding. It also seems to have scan the folder every time you start WMC before anything appears. The other thing is that it seems to cause WMC to hang or crash if you try to reconfigure things while it is doing it.

Yesterday, I set up the entry in the registry on my spare PC and eventually, the stuff on my server appeared when clicking the shared tab. I shut down WMC and left it overnight and this morning there was nothing in there again but I could see that ehshell was busy scanning the server.

I tried scanning a new transponder on a satellite but WMC restarted every time I tried it so I shutdown the PC and plugged in another Tuner, started up, stopped all the services and deleted the programdata\ehome folder. Then I started up WMC and tried to configure TV but every time I did, it got so far and then hung with the whirling circle.

I deleted the registry key and WMC let me set up TV with no problem.

11. Kévin Chalet

Kévin Chalet MDL Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Yep, that's how it works (and how it has always worked):

I've been using this feature for almost 10 years now (since WMC for Windows 7 was released) and I've never had any issue with it (a.k.a "it works on my machine").

Anyway, if you don't like it or can't make it work reasonably well, you can still use the WatchedFolders option, that caches remote shows in the local eHome database.

12. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    I missed the part in your post about it scanning every time you start WMC, otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered with it.

It seems like a good idea but it doesn't really work for me - there's too many issues with it.

Thanks for sharing the info with us anyway.

13. Cali4niaWK

Cali4niaWK MDL Member

Feb 13, 2010
  14. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #9638 technodevotee, Sep 6, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    I've been doing a bit more experimenting with DVBLink on 1903 by reversing the roles of my two testbed PCs to get another trial period.

I put the latest versions of MSVidCtl and CPFilters DLLs in Windows\system32 and removed EncDec then installed WMC V13 and the DVBLink client.

I was able to configure the virtual tuners and find the TV services on the server but when I went to play Live TV, I got the tuner conflict message so I used my WMC_Multi_Tool to roll back MSVidCtl in system32 and it crashed out as soon as it started playing instead. Once I rolled back CPFilters it works fine. None of that is to do with DVBLink of course, is to do with WMC vs Windows updates.

So, I can confirm @Gareth North's observation that DVBLink doesn't seem to care about whether EncDec exists.

As far as I can tell, it would be exactly the same with 8.8.1 but once you get beyond that, the picture isn't so clear because each version introduces more and more unknowns into the equation as far as DVBLink is concerned.

edit:
    I've now tried all the versions (again) and no matter what I do, the only ones that allow you to select a programme from the guide are V13 and V8.8.1.

I've tried removing the manifest, replacing the DLLs in ehome and/or system32 and nothing after 8.8.1 works unless you swap out ehshell.exe from either of the ones that do work.

Following on from tests, I feel it is actually hard to tell whether any of this is relevant to getting DVBLink to work or whether just getting WMC working is enough.

What is clear is that something that changed in ehshell.exe 'breaks' DVBLink and IMHO, until that something can be determined and rectified, surely the easiest thing to do is to continue using V13 or V8.8.1 and apply the workarounds needed to keep it running.

15. WGMaker

WGMaker MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2016
    This morning (11/09/2019) after a restart required to unstall a windows update , WMC crashes when trying to play a recording or live tv. I used restore to the date before that update and paused windows update . After that (obviously) WMC was back to life, but the problem remains …
    Anyone with the same problem … or even better with 'cause and solution' ?

The Windows Update consisted of KB4514359 (a .NET update), KB4516115 (Flash update) and KB4515384 (a cumulative W10 1903 update). Because I suspected the last one most, before doing the restore, I uninstalled KB4515384. Without success, the problem remained. I Haven't tried to uninstall the others …

Thanks

16. aquadextrous

aquadextrous MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2017
    #9640 aquadextrous, Sep 11, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Hey,

I also had this issue this morning after the PC rebooted overnight and installed this month's Patch Tuesday updates. I used the fix tool (WMC Multi Tool) found a few pages ago (page 480) to reinstate the old versions of all the .dll files in all locations, reset the encdec registry and rebooted. After this WMC and live TV started working again without the need to rollback windows updates or reinstall WMC from scratch.

Hope this helps,

Anthony