[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. Badcatalex

Badcatalex MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2017
    View it. Like how, and what event viewer?

2. technodevotee

technodevotee MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2015
    Well, the firstrun.log I mentioned is just a text file that sometimes tells you why things are failing in WMC.

You can open Event Viewer by right clicking on the start menu and then select categories in the tree on the left.

There might be pertinent entries under Windows Logs in 'software' or 'system' and you can use the search feature to find them by typing in MCX for example.

There's also an entry for Media Center further down under Application and Services Logs.

3. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    Yeah, lots of stuff in there but the things that leap out are "Your Media Center Extender was set up successfully, but failed to connect (timed out after 180000ms)" and "Cannot send Media Center Extender software to Extender". Google shows there's quite a few people had the same error(s) but not having a lot of luck finding a solution to it.

I wonder if they just reinstalled everything from scratch and fixed it that way?

4. Badcatalex

Badcatalex MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2017
    Dunno but I really, really don't wanna reinstall Windows... I had enough pain getting to 8.1 from 7 already as-is...

5. ljcool2006

ljcool2006 MDL Novice

Apr 26, 2020
    The link gives me a 404 error.

6. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    all my stuff is now on my website as shown in my signature

7. salute

salute MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    @technodevotee Awesome. WMC 8.8.1 works perfectly with DVBLogic and Windows 10 20H1 when using your patches (roll_back_dlls and fix_MSSQLLite). Great work!

8. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Has anyone else lost their thumbnails in recorded tv?
    Im using WMC8.8.3
    win 10 64, 1909 18363.778
    if i browse to the recorded tv directory in file explorer and highlight a recorded program, the thumbnail shows up ok in file explorer.
    in task manager, windows media center video analysis process "ehvid.exe", uses 96% of memory, about 13gb and my page file on c: grows and shrinks in relation.

I have tried WMC_Multi_Tool option 3, no change, and option 6, no change

Any suggestions
    Thanks
    Alan

9. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #9910 technodevotee, May 10, 2020
    Last edited: May 10, 2020
    This shouldn't happen in 8.8.2 or later so I wonder if something has happened to the custom manifests on your system.

I assume that the only way to fix that would be to uninstall and reinstall WMC.

In earlier versions, you would need to use option 7 'restore functionality of encdec' if the DLL and/or the associated registry entries went missing.

Options 3 and 6 only replace DLLs that exist so if they don't exist, it won't help.

10. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    i can only find 3 mentions of custom assembly manifest in this thread...

11. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #9912 technodevotee, May 10, 2020
    Last edited: May 10, 2020
    They are installed on the system by the installation so you wouldn't normally need to know anything about them.

However, it states in the readme for the installer that they exist. There is also a link to Kevin Chalet's excellent write up if you want to know how they work.

I've never heard of anyone having a problem with them but I can't think of anything else that would cause the problem you described off the top of my head.

I assume you haven't installed a codec pack or something recently?

12. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    No, not installed anything recently and no codec packs.
    I tried system restore from last night, but it failed due to lack of space on my SSD, there is 16gb free, don't know how much it needs, cant undo that, so its stuck in a loop.
    Reinstall of WMC

13. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    I used BackupRestoreSettings.cmd, to backup, I uninstalled, reinstalled, and used BackupRestoreSettings.cmd to restore.
    Still the same :(
    I will try again without using backup / restore

14. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    all back up and running after reinstalling, made a backup of this clean install

15. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    Great. Shame we'll never know what the problem was.

16. jmsnyc

jmsnyc MDL Junior Member

Oct 2, 2015
    I loved WMC and can't believe how this thread is still going strong. For me, even without cable it was difficult to maintain. There was always something you had to devote time to keep it working consistently. Now that I do not get OTA and currently using Youtube TV I no longer try to use. I am actually listing my HTPC desktop on Craigslist .

Really appreciate the hard work everyone has put in here. Again, WMC is a great product , it is a shame Microsoft not only killed it , but that updates generally mess with the resinstalls and that workarounds are needed. They could have simply stopped supporting it but why not let the very small population of people, probably smaller than the number of those that have visited this thread in the past 500 pages use it as they see fit. Firesticks, Rokus, Youtube TV with unlimited DVR are not the same though they serve similar purposes and are a lower cost investment especially in terms of time.

17. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    #9918 Bigal, May 11, 2020
    Last edited: May 11, 2020
  18. mikewse

mikewse MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2013
    There is another script in the WMC folder:
    ResetSettings.cmd
    which is supposed to clean up "left-overs" from previous installations and have helped other to get rid of duplicate channels and similar, before running BackupRestoreSettings.cmd.
    It seems some people successfully run it after Uninstaller.cmd and some after InstallerXXXX.cmd. Add your own preferred number of reboots and open/close of Media Center UI between each step :)

19. cleggy

cleggy MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2009
    where is this new version that has the reset settings cmd please so i can download it