[DISCUSSION] Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17074 (PC)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Enthousiast, Jan 12, 2018.

1. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Why would you EVER do that?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    I couldn't install this build by USB. I got error "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files".
    I can only install by DVD and it's not comfortable like USB.

3. ShadowMDL

ShadowMDL MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2015
    Please excuse my ignorance on this question, but is the Enterprise edition no longer available? Did not see it in 17063 and this new one 17074.
    Thanks.

4. laqk

laqk MDL Junior Member

Jan 22, 2011
    If he's like me, he does that so that Windows Update doesn't start automatically before he has time to disable it in group policies,

5. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    That's not good. :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Namelesswonder

Namelesswonder MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2012
    #66 Namelesswonder, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    I'm not sure I like 17074 right now...
    Installed while I was away, so can't comment on the installation process because it happened automatically, but it did go through and complete and was waiting for me at the lockscreen.
    However after logging in things were a bit janky, some software didn't work right at first which is a bit different from the past 170xx builds where my software would work just fine after the upgrade. I tried launching Chrome but my computer instantly froze and I had to force power-off.
    Rebooting and Chrome works without freezing the computer now, I then reinstall video drivers because that is the one thing that always has issues after upgrading.
    Another reboot and now things are working, but watching my GPU clocks after running Chrome I now have another issue: Chrome now pegs my GPU at stock clocks and it's a bit annoying with the heat being output, and Chrome isn't even doing anything, 0% GPU utilization just sitting here on this very thread. This never happened on 17063, in fact, before I left my computer I was watching YouTube videos and my GPU would barely raise clocks to watch a YouTube video.

I'm going to try wiping the video drivers and potentially Chrome to see if that fixes it, and then I guess hit up Edge to see if it is having the same issues. Maybe try 17074 fresh. If it keeps up I might have to roll back to 17063 because I prefer to have just my main heating and not another heater. ;)

Edit: Exact same thing in Edge! So now it has to be a driver or OS problem. Wiping drivers and reinstalling them now I guess.

Edit 2: I guess NVIDIA thought they were going to be helpful and update me to 390.65, however after rolling back to 388.71 the problem is now gone and my GPU's clocks idle appropriately. GPU utilization is up, however I'm going to guess that is because of the clocks being so low and I don't have a reference point for utilization on 17063 like I do for clocks.

7. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    #67 cuteee, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    I can't download this build with uupdl 12.29. I get error "The program can't start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-|1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer". [fixed]

It's work now.

8. Full inu

Full inu MDL Addicted

Jun 9, 2015
    To make required operations. Such as disable automatic driver downloads and also unpin all crap from Start, so that it will not be downloaded.

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Sorry, I just told WHAT I had used for to get things working, but suggested or talked about from where others should get it! I mentioned 'polite' WU (Windows Update) as Source (Microsoft) where the 'original' is to get from, and (according to this forums rules, which prevent users for to discuss Homebrews) just mentioned Wzor as the source I used for to get the ISO from! I also should mention that I didn't use adguard/wzt at all, therefore I've to say that you claim some suspicious which didn't exist at all!

Beside of that, if I mention any source which is legal, I always add the working Link to it! Regarding illegal sources, I would not post any link or mention otherwise on THIS Forum, in this case, adguard/wzt! That said, I would not post the link to my source! Period!

10. dzem

dzem MDL Senior Member

Oct 15, 2015
    It solved my problem which was identical to yours, but it doesn't come up to my mind solution with DVD. You helped me not knowing it. I dont know what might be a cause for problem with USB stick.

11. SAM-R

SAM-R MDL Guru

Mar 21, 2015
    Not sure what Thread this should be in ????
    For those of you that liked the way Steve Ballmer ran Microsoft, today is the 18th anniversary of him taking over as CEO of Microsoft. Today is also his Birthday. He turns 61 today.

12. mtrai

mtrai MDL Addicted

Apr 24, 2008
    I just noticed that under display setting there no option for advance setting. So I have no way to adjust my monitor refresh rate and it is locked at 60 hz. Anyone else with this issue?

13. Leopeva64

Leopeva64 MDL Expert

Oct 4, 2016
  14. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    So how did you install this build ? I hope this problem will be solved next build.

15. Harry t

Harry t MDL Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Me too. Been stuck on 16299 and can't install any of the releases. I have to disabled virtualization and same outcome

16. khon

khon MDL Member

Nov 18, 2008
    I solved this way

17. khon

khon MDL Member

Nov 18, 2008
    In this build Hauppauge WinTV 8.0 refuses to see his own tuner. Anyway is the prg that has some sort of problem as the devices are ok and a third part prg as NextPVR allows me to watch TV without any problem.

18. Harry t

Harry t MDL Member

Dec 14, 2014
    My bios doesn't have Intel VT-d only virtualization :(

19. Dopeland

Dopeland MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2017
    Same issue here