[DISCUSSION] Windows 10 legal activation meltdown

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by reb0rn, Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. $$YU

$$YU MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2015
    Microsoft have now initiated the complete departure...

2. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    well today im activated again and don't forget to check and see if it activated for pro ! some people had an error and it activated fo the home edition instead of pro (another little bug) poor poor Microsoft they just cant seem to get right yet.

3. karakteran

karakteran MDL Novice

Sep 17, 2010
    #43 karakteran, Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    what if activation won't work? will i still be able to use my windows 10 pro? i have it since day two. win 7 activated by daz loader and upgraded for free on windows 10 pro by windows update. since then received all major windows 10 upgrade.

4. Cr4z33

Cr4z33 MDL Junior Member

Jul 13, 2009
    That works guys!

I was just going to complain to Amazon for not genuine digital key.

As soon as I ran the activation troubleshooter everything was OK again!

5. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    What is disturbing about all of this is that you could have legitimately activated by hwid, perhaps during the first year while the free upgrade offer was being promoted, and think that activation is permanent, unless you do some sort of major hardware change.

Obviously, internet connected machines activated by hwid are periodically contacting MS servers, and could become deactivated by these MS servers. It makes me wonder if a machine activated by hwid, and disconnected from the internet, would stay activated forever...:thinking:

6. d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp MDL Addicted

Jan 19, 2017
    Excellent point.

This means that NO ACTIVATION IS PERMANENT. Microsoft likes to give you the illusion of control. If in future if MS goes bust, they switch off their activation servers and at that time only XP or 7 will work.

7. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    For a long time now permanency is a slight exaggeration. The given 'grace' is by default defined by the lifetime of the hardware. Additionally MS deserves the right to revoke the license in case any suspicions arise. Since WAT is build-in from Win 8 upwards it can deactivate a system on-the-fly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. pcnavarra

pcnavarra MDL Senior Member

Nov 13, 2017
    #48 pcnavarra, Nov 9, 2018
    Maybe it would be possible with internet connected forever to " as long it is legal activated ". :yoda:

9. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    #49 CaptainKirk1966, Nov 9, 2018
    Yeah, I know about the built in WAT. But getting flagged when the MS servers are unreachable seems like a built in presumption of guilt. I guess I could forgive them if the servers were reachable but temporarily malfunctioning / misconfigured.

10. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    I know that's why i addressed it to rest :D.

Unfortunately seems to be intended :g:. When testing around with activation in VM the WAT on the slightest suspicion revokes activation. They expect you to call in if you're a legitimate user :cool2:.

Fortunately there are activations that doesn't rely on server contact hence aren't affected by such 'hickups' ;).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. reb0rn

reb0rn MDL Junior Member

Mar 11, 2008
    My personal view is that I always recommend pirated windows to home, this will never change as it seams as they are employing idiots to design activation and licencing!

Even if I use legal system I am near the decision to go rouge
    Its not only Microsoft its Denuvo-games, most programs have insane protection and activation logic, smart ppl will almost always go pirate way because is less trouble and even more secure/easy

12. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    HWID activation is fine for all sku's except LTSC;)

13. jhonsnow

jhonsnow MDL Novice

Apr 5, 2015
    I upgraded my PC during the free upgrade from Win8 Pro and had no issue for many years, I recently needed to restore a backup image and since then I cannot get the PC to activate. The image I restored was created a day before so its not like its many months old.

I get error 0xC004F034, when I run the troubleshooter I get 1 digital licence found for Win10 Pro. I click start even though I have Pro already and my PC starts and get the same error 0xC004F034.

I tried using slmgr -upk rebooting and running the troubleshooter, it adds the correct key ending with 3V66T but still fails to Activate.

14. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    And I can reactivate on the fly due to the the excellent work done by some (cough, cough; sorry I had to clear my throat) people I know.

15. jhonsnow

jhonsnow MDL Novice

Apr 5, 2015
    yes just saw that thread

16. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    This is the generic installation key, not for activating.
    Remove it and Your Windows should activate automatically after You have logged in with Your Microsoft account. Of course if this computer is registered with Your Microsoft account. (It may take some time).

17. oyya

oyya MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2018
    @jhonsnow is your machine connected to internet ?
    if it's not the case, do it because your machine needs to communicate with MS server to get it activated back with digital license.

18. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Huh?! Such nonsense from an old user :g:.

Although the key doesn't activate directly, it still triggers clipup.svc to check if the HWID is already stored at MS activation servers. In that case it should (by design) grant the license status '0' for licensed. The MSA binding is more an optional thing and can be handy in case of hardware changes, but is in no way mandatory.