[DISCUSSION] Zorin OS

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Super Spartan, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Chibi ANUBIS

Chibi ANUBIS MDL Chibi Developer

Apr 28, 2014
    I can't install on my laptop the Pro Édition, I run the live, after the desktop is loading I clic on install, I see the keybord selection and the windows closed Instant

All help is apreciated

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. mtwei

mtwei MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #162 mtwei, Oct 28, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2023
    Zorin-OS-16.2-Pro-64-bit.iso & Zorin-OS-16.2-Pro-Lite-64-bit.iso

a1919803e69d4a7c86cb319873cfa04e725cde2c8f66cfd551528b784c495822 *Zorin-OS-16.2-Core-64-bit.iso
    660c370736a8a1cad055b93598e0486384a1f7a131a8ce196de24b9fa71417f3 *Zorin-OS-16.2-Lite-64-bit.iso
    ddcf4cede427ae722cb3c3bce115908ee19f94e703c09370c324b9919e7f23ea *Zorin-OS-16.2-Pro-64-bit.iso
    3a9df704c98e0b0f5547b30b03003033b7d8a5a2920865a4d5ed8dc1d0f495b7 *Zorin-OS-16.2-Pro-Lite-64-bit.iso
    baafe855662dfcd90d6f0cab44a57a667a34cc81ef2d3098d47461cae99b3cc4 *Zorin-OS-16.2-Education-64-bit.iso
    6079a9293d99d94b1216c07dce0fea12c3302a84cccec5e429d22d29c76f79f8 *Zorin-OS-16.2-Education-Lite-64-bit.iso

3. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    Authentication required !!!!!!

4. John_3_16

John_3_16 MDL Junior Member

Feb 8, 2020
    A version with everything one could want already installed. You are free to use the free version, locate & download & install your own custom software. I have the free Zorin 16 free version as I will buy the $39 Pro version when I leave Win7 behind. I don't mind helping the 2 Ukrainian brothers whose project in Ireland this is. Highly respected distro. Huge following that is growing. They have a reputation as being the easiest jump from WinXP, 7, 8 & Vista. I can tell you from my use it is easy & powerful. Has the capability to run Win exe files right out of the box. I am a fan.
    :balloon::cheers::clap::clap3::spoton::headbang:

5. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
    I decided to try it again ...........3 versions ...... 4 days long ............. absolutely freaking out :)

I dont like haveing to install a system while i'm online
    Theres no firewall / antivirus
    Its BLOATED .......... with s**t

I dont like haveing to do everythig 3 times .......... do it ...... confirm it ........ authentication required ............ wich makes it unuseable ............. can anyone please tell me how to get rid of ' Authentication requiered ' ?

When i download the pro version do i get the full version ? ........ or do i get a crippled version that i have to install and then activate to get all the functions ?

6. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    That's Zorin for ya...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
    I realy realy dont understand . Over 600 linux versions and non of them work . Zorin made a good operating system to replace windows .......... then they crippled it with crap noone needs so that now its even worse than windows !?!?`.......... whats the point in a system that we have to baby sit and spoon feed ?

8. John_3_16

John_3_16 MDL Junior Member

Feb 8, 2020
    There is a simple solution. You & gorski don't have to use it. I applaud your great effort in downloading, installing & using 600 linux versions so you could end up hating them all equally. Simply amazing.

9. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Oh, how clever you are - creating a strawman and then "heroically" dismantling it...

Aha, that's what I said in that sentence

Go back in this very thread and find many of us exchanging info, from our experiences with Zorin... It's not like it's all sucked out of thin air, you know...

10. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #170 gorski, Mar 11, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2023
    Which one did you try, C-S?

11. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
    John ........ I've been surfing for about 14 hours a day every day for the last 25 years . I use two laptops parallel . On the one i surf and on the other i play with software. During that time i've been reading the computer press and it said that there are over 600 linux versions ......... a large part of that is alternative versions to the established big versions = All we have to do is test the base versions ........ ubuntu for instance and read forums , magazines and web sites . The main reason for those versions is to replace windows because computer freaks hate it :)

You see a forum here wich mostly deals with people with decades of experience who are trying to tame windows and make it aceptable ...... and you see a linux setion thats used by a lot of people here ......... but only very rarely ....... because its the same old s**t in circles......... nothing new ......... nothing attractive . If zorin would listen to users they could take over the whole computer world . As it is now its malware .

Windows is malware and a mega pain in the arse , its bloated and ' noone ' likes being watched ........ and thats the reason for zorin . They started and built a system layer after layer untill it worked ........ and then the filled it with s**t ....... and security features that make it unuseable . I dont like haveing to ask 3 times to do anything , having to go online to put it in and make it work is a NO NO , people want to be able to download all the parts , put it in and set it up BEFORE we go online = They defeated their own idea !?!

It hasnt got a firewall / anti virus and i cant find one i'm prepared to use , haveing to give it and programs commands to do a lot of things is for people that like playing post offices . I like seeing what i'm doing and clicking on buttons .

It takes ages to start . Win 10 is much quicker .

The only way i can find so far to stop it going online every time i turn it on is to remove the cable or do a click marathon . On windows i click on an icon on the tool bar .

I cant find programs to replace DVDFab or vuze .

I dont use book marks in firefox i make links to sites on my desktop . With zorin i cant get those links to work .

Windows is big s**t ........ but it works . To keep mine going and in a state i'm prepared to use takes 1 - 2 hours a month vs 1 - 2 hours a day begging zorin to do what i want .

= No contest . I realy realy want to get away from windows but at the moment i dont see any alternative = I'm going back to win 10 .

( @ me ....... i tend to deliberately be a bit challenging in my posts = Sportingly provoke conversations :) so i can learn from people with experience )

Moin Gorski ......... thanks :) ....... over the last few days i tryed 16 lite , core and pro . Now i'm trying 16.2 pro . The ' logic ' being ........ if it costs cash it must / might ? be better / use resources better ........ go faster :) ............ and then uninstall all the crap .

Today i'm going to try 16.2 core ......... hopeing its the same system without a lot of the crap = I dont have to spend days trying to uninstall kindergarten programs that are crap and noone needs because they arent there in the first place ........ and ........ i had the impression that core doesnt have so much authentication required crap ?

Dont know if its me or zorin but it doesnt see my installed second hard disk........ and its ( I :) ) killed two usb sticks so far swapping from windows to zorin machines . I think because of the file systems and formating .

Dont know , dont remember and i dont make notes ....... i like the bull in a china shop head against the wall aproach :) = Go for it , get real experience and learn from mistakes.

12. verndog

verndog MDL Member

May 3, 2010
    This is what I use when this happens:

13. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    #173 Kim100, Mar 14, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
    There are "Experts" who comment on here who may be Windows experts but know SFA about Linux. There are the good the bad and the ugly distros, some are brilliant some not so good, personally I am a Mint/MX fan. If you take the time and effort you can do anything in Linux that can be done in Windows, its great strength is that Linux can keep old PCs going well past their intended life span. There is not a lot of discussion in this sub forum because generally Linux just works, its no where near as needy as Windows, if you have a problem with Linux 99% of the time its your own fault, if you use Debian/Ubuntu they are rock solid with all the software you will ever need. Personally I am not a fan of Zorin, tried it a few times over the years, never very impressed. USB drives that appear to have been damaged by Linux and not visible in Windows can usually be sorted out with something like AOMEI Partition Assistant which should see and properly format the drive.

14. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #174 gorski, Mar 14, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
    Could you have a good look at this script and clean it up, if necessary, please?

I'd like to try it but it looks... odd... - at least to me, an IT lay person...

As in "not precise, lines break like this, all the signs at the very end..."???

Thanx!

P.S> For Arch:

Code:
    // See the polkit(8) man page for more information
    // about configuring polkit.

// Allow udisks2 to mount devices without authentication
    // for users in the "storage" group.
    polkit.addRule(function(action, subject) {
       if ((action.id == "org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount-system" ||
            action.id == "org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount") &&
       subject.isInGroup("storage")) {
           return polkit.Result.YES;
       }
    });
    "I saved it as /etc/polkit-1/rules.d/10-udisks2.rules, and voila! I guess it will do for the next few months… And yep, that's JavaScript. Because pulling in an 8 MB dependency is fun. :-\"

P.P.S.
    udisks2 + polkit: Allow unauthenticated mounting

Annoyed by entering root password during mounting external USB disks?

Answer: Create file /etc/polkit-1/rules.d/10-udisks2.rules with following content

Code:
    // See the polkit(8) man page for more information
    // about configuring polkit.

// Allow udisks2 to mount devices without authentication
    // for users in the "wheel" group.
    polkit.addRule(function(action, subject) {
       if ((action.id == "org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount-system" ||
            action.id == "org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount") &&
           subject.isInGroup("wheel")) {
           return polkit.Result.YES;
       }
    });

15. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  16. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
    verndog

Thank you very much :) ........ on my way through the net i found that .......... but i wanted to use that as a last resort . I wanted to stop it asking for authentication ........ not tell it that it is authenticated after it asks / looks .

gorski ....... thanks :)

Kim100 ........

>personally I am a Mint/MX fan

I noticed . I'm a computer and software fan . I dont give a s**t where it comes from if it works . Personaly i'd rather use win 95 / 98 / XP than any linux version i've tried ........... and Ooooooops !!!!! obviously most of the computer world agrees with me .

I know less than sweet f**k all about linux ........... but i know what playing post offices is .......... windows is s**t but it does what its suposed to do .......... and i dont have to baby sit it or spoon feed it . And it doesnt f**k my USB devices .

After i last posted i reinstalled win 10 and replaced zorin pro with zorin core ........ because i had the subective opinion that it might have asked me less times to confirm that i'm me .

Then a 941 GB USB SSD died . All three USB devices had become RAW and read only . Diskpart wouldnt fix them . Disk drill spent ages to recover the 941 GBs ........ only to tell me that the unregistered version doesnt recover anything :) = Register it and start again . Then it wouldnt recover it to the original USB SSD so i had to delete a 1 TB back up and recover to that ....... then fix the 941 USB SSD and copy it all back again ......... then rewrite the 1 TB back up ........ then back the 941 GB USB SSD up twice ......... and then because i'm a profi sceptic i had to check it all out . Are all the files there ? In a good state ?

I didnt need that . Now i've deleted zorin and put win 10 back in again .

17. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    #177 Kim100, Mar 19, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
    "I'm a computer and software fan . I dont give a s**t where it comes from if it works . Personaly i'd rather use win 95 / 98 / XP than any linux version i've tried ........... and Ooooooops !!!!! obviously most of the computer world agrees with me".

You dont say what you have tried other than Zorin. I tried Zorin years ago and didnt like it at all, all its got going for it is that it looks like Windows. Go to DistroWatch and see whats top of the charts and try one of them, Zorin is higher up the list than I expected, probably due to the MS theme. You mention Windows 98, that was total crap, they brought out 98SE quickly as 98 was so bad and then f**ked up again with Millennium edition, every version of Windows has been s**t and was only ever any good close to its demise only to be replaced by the next disaster. Linux on the other hand has slowly but steadily got better over the years and is at long last as good as or better than Windows, but that's only if you pick a distro with a good team behind it. A safe bet is Ubuntu or Mint its best clone. You will see that MX is top of the DistroWatch list, its there for good reason. MX is based on Debian, its a bit dated in looks but wont let you down. Be careful when you strip out what you consider to be "bloat", it may be a program required by the OS to function correctly.

I dont know what wrecked your drives, I have only ever had minor problems with USB storage devices and I put that down to Microsoft's built in tools being poor. Third party disk tools have always fixed the issues I have had.

18. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
    #178 case-sensitive, Mar 19, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
    >I dont know what wrecked your drives

Me :) ...... playing with linux ......... I am now cured :)

I tryed zorin several times before because it was advertzied as a good crossover for windows users to take on linux . When i saw the guys here playing with it again i decided to try it again . I was ' over the moon ' and ' thought ' that my days of fighting windows was over ........... and was llokinmg forwrds to a new life without hours a day solving problems that i didnt need to have that i'd made with windows .

EDIT ...... and yes , i've tryed other versions , at the latest when i saw adverts saying they might be a good replacement for windows ........ and also things like kali and Tails .......... but didnt like them .

19. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    #179 Kim100, Mar 20, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
    Honestly, I have just binned Windows again for similar reason to yours for going back to Windows lol.

Can you get your hands on an old laptop to play with Linux on? Its what I did, I tried all the Ubuntu based releases, a few based on Debian and I really tried to get on with Manjaro. I ended up with Mint, now my OS of choice, MX is where I will go if anything happens to Mint. I have had some major problems with Linux, all hardware related [Secure Boot/UEFI] I spent days finding work arounds for reams of error messages at boot, all sorted now and running fine but hard work. Hand on heart, Mint is now purring along on my laptop and tower PC.

Dont give up just yet, practice on something that doesn't matter if you break it.

I put all the time and effort in because Windows is so bloody awful. Some releases were OK, XP, Windows 7 and the original Windows 8 but they are all history.

20. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    I have been having a good look at SSD/USB drive damage linked to various operating systems. Any OS can and has wrecked drives under the right/wrong circumstances but the main culprit, or the OS that gets the most bad press in this area appears to be Windows 11.