DIY: Server 2022 to workstation post install settings

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by damianfox, Nov 15, 2021.

1. terminal2000

terminal2000 MDL Novice

Jul 7, 2010
    It's not high. It's normal. Today the DPI of screens have increased more than 2x than they used to be. Fonts are simply too tiny without scaling.

2. ruslanshchur

ruslanshchur MDL Senior Member

Sep 13, 2020
    For some reason, in Windows Server 2022 startup sound won't playing even when I check Play Windows Startup sound

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ExtremeGrief

ExtremeGrief MDL Addicted

Jun 2, 2020
    Fonts are fine on my 2k monitor with 100% scaling.

4. kgtuning

kgtuning MDL Member

Aug 26, 2015
    Some of us use 4k displays which require 259-300% scaling… so let’s move on from why terminal2000 needs the scaling he does.

5. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    Have been playing with it and so far i like what i see ............ the only ' problem ' i have is ........ i want to be able to turn my computer on to the / an administrator account without having to write a password ........ and i cant find a way to do it .

I've just been looking at 3. Create new user account User Accounts (control userpasswords2) -> click on Add

To be able to do what i want do do i have to create a new administrator account without a password ? ......... Or how can i do it ? .......... or is it impossible ?

6. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
    OK Just found it ...... ' problem ' solved :) .......... was worryed that if i try to change the password and just delete it i might get locked out when i log on again ............ but that didnt happen :

7. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    I'm using 4K displays with 100% scaling. Scaling up is not always required, it depends on circumstances.

8. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
    OK :) ........ in the last 23 minutes i just put it on to a USB stick to install it , deleted my C partition and installed it in to a SSD ........... and i cant see any dissadvantages over ' normal ' / not server versions

SO ....... question ........... are there any dissadvantages to useing this server version compared to a ' normal ' version ? If so what ?

9. kgtuning

kgtuning MDL Member

Aug 26, 2015
    yes, you are right. I should have worded it “some of us prefer larger scaling”.

10. RokkumanX

RokkumanX MDL Member

Apr 8, 2020
    Using Windows Server as a desktop OS automatically grants you a bigger e-penis.

You are amongst legends and in the top tier!

Oh, and it's heavily debloated and doesn't contain so much junk compared to regular Windows 10, except for LTSC which should be on the easy side of bloat on par with Server.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    It's not only the resolution (actually mostly UHD and not 4K) but also the physical size of the display. On a 24" display with UHD resolution the fonts will be tiny. But my display is 31.5", so, 100% works fine.

12. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
    RokkumanX ......... Thank you .......... atm i'm gob smacked !!!! .......... this server version looks good to me so far ...... less problems and less hassle ...... and a lot of the bloat is easy to remove ............. = i dont understand why people are useing ' normal ' versions and not this one :)

13. Absolutely Correct why people dont use Server 22 inspite using regular whole bloated OS Disk Image.

14. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
    I've now got it in , put all my programs in , set them up ,set the system up ........... the only thing that hasnt worked so far is TCP optimiser ......... but i'm not sure if i even need it :) The only thing left to do now is to try surfing with it wich i will do later .

So far its fun all the way :)

15. ExtremeGrief

ExtremeGrief MDL Addicted

Jun 2, 2020
    S0 Standby Sleep not working on Server OS :(

16. damianfox

damianfox MDL Senior Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Hey everyone, I just installed 2021 LTSC to see how it compares to Server 2022.

Even though 2021 LTSC is very good and stable there's still a clear difference when working with the two.

Interestingly Server 2022 is more responsive and snappier, not by much but you can tell the difference.

17. Totaly agreed :)

18. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
    Today i tried to cut it with NTLite and it wont work ( for me ? :) ) .......... unsuported version ........... and i want to cut some crap out ?

19. TheSkaffer

TheSkaffer MDL Senior Member

May 16, 2010
    Thank you, I was pondering the need for this thread but just not knowledgeable enough to feel I can post anything useful to begin with, but I will check this out on my virtual machine and add things as I discover them. Seriously considering replacing my W10 laptop setup with server 2022.

20. TheSkaffer

TheSkaffer MDL Senior Member

May 16, 2010
    What do you want to cut out... there is no bloatware in Server 2022...