Do not display the lock screen w10 anniversary

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by soretito, Aug 9, 2016.

1. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Thanks. I'll wait. To me the lock screen is a very minor annoyance only.

2. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Thanks for the info, but lock screen & login screen are 2 different things right?
    Your issue only adresses the login screen, lock screen is still unavoidable.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    I don't use a password so I don't have a lock screen when doing a cold boot/restart because it boots directly to desktop. I did have the lock screen everytime I returned from suspend/hibernate (I rarely shutdown/restart). I can gladly say that renaming the folder "Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy" to "_Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy" in C:\Windows\SystemApps did it for me, haven't seen the lock screen in over a month.

It seems having a password triggers other subroutines/processes that call the lock screen even when the folder is missing. I'll keep an eye on the topic until a more definitive workaround pops up that works for all cases.

4. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    Its amazing that we have (yet) a lot of way to sort this out. But I dont like the idea of patching any DLL, mostly because that would be gone in the any upcoming updates. A 'live' update would be the solution, if there is no option but again, maybe gone on the next update.
    Nevertheless, we got a bunch of methods to bypass this new restriction on a (now) payed OS

5. dobbelina

Apr 2, 2009
    #45 dobbelina, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    I agree with you regarding patching DLL's, as a matter of fact the lockscreen doesn't bother me that much either.
    It's just the challenge to get rid of it that's firing me up, because MS decided they should decide it for us.

Especially bad is attacking LogonController.dll, which is a really sensitive core component, just to solve a minor nuisance.
    Like killing mosquitos with a shotgun.
    LogonController.dll's purpose it seems, is only to enforce the regkey to be set, or be the "lighthouse keeper" so to speak.
    It would be better to find the actual "light" and kill it closer to, or at it's source.
    My theory would be that this is somewhere closer to the graphics stuff, like uxtheme patching or something?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. dobbelina

Apr 2, 2009
    #46 dobbelina, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  7. White Wizard

White Wizard MDL Junior Member

Jul 3, 2013
  8. dobbelina

Apr 2, 2009
    Then you have to patch authui.dll.
    Before Win 10 that could be easily done with a resource hacker, now it's a bit more complicated.

9. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    Keep in mind the lockscreen you guys and gals are wishing to disable also shuts down computer if in tablet mode. I do not think editing the file is a good idea when it comes to stability and windows updates. Lockscreen has been around since win8.x days, why all the fuss over a lockscreen? Better yet, why not stay with win7 and you dont have those features unlike in win8.x and win10? Better to change the image to something you would like. Same with the user images. Also does anyone know if editing that file causes security risks? I am not complaining but see another side to doing things this way.

10. dobbelina

Apr 2, 2009
    #50 dobbelina, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    No it doesn't.
    I'm using tablet mode right now with the patched dll, works fine.
    Only testing of course as tablet mode ain't my cup of tea.
    Regarding patching of dll's I agree that it's not the preferred way of changing settings, but when MS took away this
    option in the latest update, while still keeping it in "selected versions" it pissed me off.
    As I have done the "reverse engineering" myself, and only 1 out of 2324 functions have been patched, i'm 99.99%
    certain it wont have any adverse effects.
    This function only checks the regkey, it doesn't write anything.(and returns false)
    A previous patch attacked a writing function and that didn't work so well.

11. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    #51 The_Guardian, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    Interesting that you are bypassing the reg key check. What is the reg key it is looking for? Just curious if it could be manipulated another way. I have reverse engineering background as well and one thing I have learned early on is that there is more then one way to skin a cat. ;)

For clarity purposes, there are two separate login backgrounds and two separate lock screens. One set is system related and the other set is user related.

12. dobbelina

Apr 2, 2009
    #52 dobbelina, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  13. yomoma2

yomoma2 MDL Senior Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Your patched file/script works perfectly with the previous policy to disable lock screen, thanks!

14. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
  15. dobbelina

Apr 2, 2009