[DISCUSSION] Forum Rules

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by reginakampher, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wazzock

wazzock MDL Senior Member

Oct 22, 2016
    #101 wazzock, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    thoughts kept to myself

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. vanelle

vanelle MDL Expert

Sep 22, 2014
    @wazzock
    Your tone falls to a great extent beyond any tolerable measure (but this my personal opinion - so i must accept it)
    Since you obviously can not contribute anything constructive, keep your mind for your own please

@Moderator of this Thread
    i must ask me by myself - why this nice thread is a Moderate Thread by an admin?
    if everybody can post what he want (Deserved mid-limbs evil intentions)
    the post from CHEF-KOCH is funny - but most of us call it spam here
    ... Please Please do not misunderstand - I do not want to hurt anyone

@All
    I am 53 jears old (probably the oldest here)
    The right handling with criticism still has to be learned by all (Admin's + MDL-Member)
    Put every word here on the gold scale is definitely the wrong way!
    Sit out the problems here on bord?
    - doesn't help...
    - the problems remain
    But the earned active members disappear

is it what you want (Admin + MDL Member) ?
    The list of Member who have set their work will be longer every day

Sarcastic said:
    The last one please shut the door

3. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    This thread is set to moderated due to spamming , that is all.

Understanding someone's tone when not there in person can be tricky. We have to use best judgement, sometimes things get.... Let go.

We don't want to be accused of outright censorship. But we will enforce forum rules.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. wazzock

wazzock MDL Senior Member

Oct 22, 2016
    #105 wazzock, Jan 27, 2017
    thoughts kept to myself(to please vanelle)

5. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    As I said....... It's difficult to understand tone when not face to face.

6. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    #107 Michaela Joy, Jan 27, 2017
    Nope. :D

I have you by at least 7 years. Nodnar has me by about 5.

And?!? Has the problem been fixed??? Yes. It has been (thank you Daz and crew).

So why do you continue to bring it up?

Why should somebody have to step down? Should they be docked in pay for this?

They don't get paid. They volunteer.

And I'm sure if you ask the staff nicely, they'll refund your membership fees and you can be on your merry way. ;)

Or maybe they were too busy trying to come up with a workable recovery plan to answer your question.

Maybe (just Maybe) they didn't want to add any more negative feelings to the mix.

Reality check. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

7. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    @vanelle;i have to get my calc.exe to find what tonto11 has on you. our most senior member was 81 just a few days ago.:worthy:
    stop to think before you lecture us on wisdom. when i woke up that sunday morning, and saw the chaos, it was obvious to everyone that
    DAZ relied on a backup that simply was not there, although it was reported to have been succesfully made. And the mods just had no way
    to know that it failed everytime. All the more they deserve a compliment for getting the stuff mostly back in place.
    so not very elegant
    to lecture them on backups, @oz, mods are not clairvoyant. while i understand that you did not get the chance to express yourself, it happened to me
    too, when my thread was slammed shut, at least i had the wisdom that wazzock had, to keep my thoughts to myself. until now.;)

8. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    <-- Wishes he was 53 again. <sigh>

9. Oz

Oz MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Countless people here has spent countless hours providing useful information, all wiped out.

I think it was Daz who wrote he had warned management about doing a proper backup, but he was ignored.

I am.

10. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Completely the wrong topic (Forum rules!), but well... let's do this.

@Oz and vanelle

I don't like the tone here as well, especially the demanding, belittling and lecturing. I can safely say, 53 isn't top age here. I guess, you can add 10 or 20 years ontop of your estimation of how old we are. But what's the point anyway?

Criticism? Well, there were no whole backups after a certain point in time, sadly, that's a fact. We, the team, didn't try to disguise this or lie to the members - it's a result of a chain of errors, beginning somewhere when the forum owner received automated backup notifications when in fact no proper backups where there. This is a mistake so bad one wouldn't expect it to happen. And still it did. Like many other mistakes in human history that shouldn't have happened but still happened. No one is perfect. At least we had old backups and thanks to Daz, tons of content could be restored. There are still a few pages of all kinds of threads sitting in an area not accessible for members - the team is constantly moving them by hand.

Members come and go, that's natural, of course the list of leaving members grows. Not everyone is active forever. Often the MDL staff was contacted or highly contributing members even made a public goodbye when leaving for whatever reason (most often changes in their lives that require more attention) - and some came back. I'd like active and contributing members to stay, but that can't be forced - fortunately.
    MDL is open for everyone: this doesn't only include coming but also leaving.

MDL has been around for almost ten years now. It's grown a lot and has survived many kinds of attacks. Besides the recent event, there never was a major loss of data or integrity. We never had any legal issues besides some minor DMCA requests. Many methods were pioneered here and there are almost 1:1 copies of this forum around the net. As of now, there are 56,521 threads, a total of 1,095,450 posts and 691,783 registered members.
    So cut us some slack here - at least we must be doing something right, don't you think?

11. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I hadn't warned anyone about the backups per se, but how running on outdated software could be a problem. That changed though because I was given access to the server.

When the moderator account was accessed (due to a weak password) a lot of threads were scattered around. Very little was actually deleted, so I was able to restore thousands of threads rather quickly. Of course having a more recent database backup would of made it easier to do, but mistakes like this do happen and we can only learn from them.

I've fixed the bug that was causing backups to fail (it existed before I ever had access to the server) and I do check every once in a while that a recent backup actually exists.

12. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    I lost a few threads and several posts too, but it’s nothing to lose sleep about, these things happen with all boards and, after all, I hadn’t paid for anything. In fact, over the years I’ve been member to many boards of many kinds, and the large majority of them got hacked at some time. Some closed as a result, the better ones recovered. Fortunately, MDL belongs to the second category.

Also, most boards suffered a serious crash and lost data, without hacking.

Anyway, all this is now behind us, we’re as good as ever and, as stated above, we’re now wiser and better prepared for the future.

Now, the reason I make this post is in order to point out that the lessons learned here also apply to our personal computing:
    1 Use strong passwords everywhere, different ones at different places
    2 Do regular backups of your system and data
    3 Don’t trust explicitly any unknown persons on the web, even if they seem friendly, and don’t reveal sensitive data to anybody.

Yes, I know you know them, but do you implement them?

13. jeggg

jeggg MDL Member

Dec 30, 2016
    I like the new MDL look , thanks for the hard work:)

I realize forum rules are in Announcements.

Just an idea, possibly rename the Announcements section to Announcements and Forum Rules.

This might make it easier for newbees to locate and understand the MDL guidelines.

14. Zoulou06

Zoulou06 MDL Novice

May 28, 2017
    #115 Zoulou06, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017
    Hello,

I just registered and did not check the rules before hand... My bad. As my favorite alias was already taken I changed it by adding a number to it, therefore I broke rule 2.1. If you feel it's an absolute necessity for me to create a new account please delete my current account as soon as you can and I will gladly comply with the rule. If not, please let me know by pm so I can stop lurking and start to contribute.

Thank you.

15. P.J

P.J MDL ☂

Jul 30, 2009
    Sorry but think I should leave this community due to heavily censorship when a normal word like 'cancer' or a hat color hurts it.

16. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Don't give up @P.J there will be always a troll or a party pooper troop on each forum or rl.

17. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Moderation is done from a team member or at complex matters by the team. It is made from an own perspective but with best intention.
    Of course there are different opinions, sometimes.

There is never a bad intention, but another opinion. Sometimes a break can help.
    I personally can say that I do not want somebody to leave. If I want I do ban...with reason.

You can do whatever you like, but to post your personal reasons here or to try to make people to take sides do not help..another opinion is another opinion.
    It will be always your own decision.

18. vanelle

vanelle MDL Expert

Sep 22, 2014
    Isn't it possible to supplement the forum rules?

1.4 No spamming, flooding or mass-posting and other related post-counter raising activities.
    please add something like this
    This includes:
    - short posts such as “OK!”, “Thanks!”, “Great!”, etc. (we have already 6 – Likes System)
    - ask like "what is a .sfv file and how to use it" this kind of Questios are alredy ask and answered more then 1000 times in each Threat (more or less)

new rule's
    Each member is obliged to ensure that the forum rules are respected (to keep unnecessary work away from the administrators)
    Note: this kind of Rule you can find in more than 1 Forum (works more ore less very well)

begging and peddling forbidden
    only those Member who upload / share files themselves may ask politely

19. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #120 Enthousiast, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Tip, start by following your own rule:
    Code:
    1.3 Treat other members as you would want them to treat you. ...
    You keep bitching on people who ask for stuff and even on people who dare to share.

They don't ask you specifically, they ask in general.

You are correct about some asking for stuff and next they offer the iso's for money, happens once in so many requests, not something to be allowed to insult all members who ask for an iso.

No need for everyone who politely asks for an iso to share something themselves, not many members have the ability to upload iso's to a filehost and most would be useless uploads anyway.

Plus in many countries you can get fined or even jailed for uploading and making copyrighted content publicly available.