The photograhpy thread-Exciting Places of the world

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Hazar, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2019
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Battlestar Galactica: Surprise attack of the Cylons" ;)

2. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Now during the corona emergency situation I had some spare time to make another slide-show / video for friends about Thailand where I had been on February / March.

Those people there suffer a lot from that (besides of infections) because there is no tourism ATM and they are dependent on tourists to get their income.... I hope my friends there are well....:hug2:

I browsed through my pictures I had shot during years 2012-2020 and made this ~14 minutes video last weekend to get myself a little bit distracted from corona.

Some tech details -if interested-

Most of the pictures are shot with the D800. Some with my old D90 and a few with my new D850.
    Most used lens was the Nikkor 28mm 1:1.8G prime.

The time lapse consists of single pictures!
    Pictures are taken every 2 seconds, original frame rate of the created video is 30 FPS.
    This means the time lapse ratio is: Hours get minutes and minutes get seconds. :)

The final slide-show I did has been rendered to FHD 60 FPS, though to get very smooth transitions.

How to download / watch:

All of my files are of course virus-free. Google drive just pops up with a message that they cannot be scanned since my archives are PW protected.

I hope you enjoy.
    Watch it on a big TV screen or monitor with sound attached.:)

Music: Carbon Based Lifeforms

Stay healthy.

Yen

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  5. htc_enthusiast

htc_enthusiast MDL Novice

May 10, 2020
    Some I've had published...

https://www.pbs.org/american-portrait/story/4469/jon-b-cocolalla-id-when-i-step-outside-my-door

6. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
  7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #807 Yen, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Hi Darek,
    thanks.

Nice to see you here at MDL again. :)

I have got the D850 last December. There had been a special offer from Nikon (2399€) I could not resist. Brand-new. The prize today is still around 2500 here. (Although VAT has been decreased by govt to support local economy).

Yes I love it. Nikon has exactly added what I have missed at the D800. The D800 is more like a diva, the D850 is more versatile. The D850 has got the missing speed and high ISO performance I had missed. Also the AF is far better.

And they upgraded many other little things like a decent touch screen, wifi direct, illuminated buttons etc.
    It's almost a perfect body now. Nah..it is perfect!:)

I cannot carry high speed lenses where I go so I decided to go for the 1.8 primes instead of 1.4 (or 4.0 instead of 2.8 at 200mm). Not to speak of 500mm.

I go as backpacker and my camera gear is already almost as heavy as the rest of my stuff.lol.
    I wonder how you are doing that all the time, taking my hat off!
    (I have been on a little speed boat, there was a really big wave and we jumped...OMG! Thought anything is broken now LOL) But anything is still working thank god.

D5! Cool. Big and robust/heavy but great and ultra fast. Best high ISO performance.

Since I am doing landscapes I love the high mega pixels of the D850, though. I usually do not shoot sports and only little wildlife. But I'd love the high ISO performance of the D5.

When I am doing those slide shows I always take benefit when zooming in and panning. There are so many details 'hidden' within those mega pixels.

Yeah well...camera gear. Most of the time most of it is jobless in a cupboard. It's an expensive hobby. But love it since I am 12 years old. And it is always exciting using it again.

I gave my D90 together with a decent DX zoom a friend when he's got his little daughter. Better he could take pictures of her growing than it is jobless in a cupboard.

The D800 is still here, but actually jobless as well.

8. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    Haha! I don't hike much with a heavy lens such as 200-400mm f/4 VRii. For that, I have the 200-500mm f/5.6 (~5.3 lb. lens alone) and or 500mm f/5.6 PF - which weights "only" 3.2 lb! almost the same as 70-200mm f/2.8! I can walk 3-4 hours with both lenses attached to D850 and/or D5/D500.
    But when I want to use 200-400mm f/4 (~8.2 lb.) I take monopad or tripod and I usually stay close to my car. Same thing will happen with my new "beast", I just ordered 600mm f/4 :cool:

As I prefer to shoot nature/wildlife, there is no better camera than D5....as you know that thing is a beast when shooting in low light, which is most of the time, when I walk into the woods.
    Even shooting an Owl at night with ISO-32000 (not a mistake, yep 32,000 :p)

Oh, I almost forgot! 12 FPS with a buffer up to 200 shots! can't wait to go and shoot Bald Eagles in November with it!

DSC_8891.jpg

9. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    wow.absolutely sharp, that pic.:spoton:

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #810 Yen, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    When I leave home I have to think exactly which lenses I take with me the next 5 weeks.....from those then I can decide which I leave back at accommodation depending on day trip.

Most places I reach by foot / trekking. Sweating all time.:D 95% of the pictures I shot in summertime / tropical climate. Sometimes I have to clean my viewfinder during trip (wet by sweat).
    There is almost nothing more annoying than when you get sweat into your eye you usually use to aim...LOL...

11. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
  12. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    #812 dareckibmw, Jan 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    Ok, it's time to bump this thread back to the top ;)
    As every year winter approach, I take few weeks off from work and I travel. This time, I went to Maryland for a few days and then to Iowa. Those two places are awesome. That is, if you love Bald Eagles as much as I do ;)
    This is my rig:
    D5
    AF-S TELECONVERTER TC-14E III
    Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4E FL ED VR
    ProMediaGear's TR343L Pro-Stix 59" inch Carbon Fiber Tripod
    ProMediaGear's GK Katana Gimbal Head

Talk is cheap..... enjoy the view :)

[​IMG][​IMG]Nikon Team by Darek Konopka, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSC_9237a by Darek Konopka, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSC_8947 by Darek Konopka, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSC_8143 by Darek Konopka, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSC_7021 by Darek Konopka, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSC_7017 by Darek Konopka, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSC_0405 by Darek Konopka, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSC_0009 by Darek Konopka, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSC_0691 by Darek Konopka, on Flickr