Global Arctic Methane Emergency

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Knives*, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Knives*

Knives* MDL Member

Sep 21, 2013
    #1 Knives*, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I found out that even the moderator(s) and/or admin(s) of MDL don't want this posted since my topic never got approved, so I'll post this here instead.

Part 1:

Part 2:

And finally...

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2013/08/arctic-methane-hydrate-catastrophe

So between 2015 (now) and 2025, 50 gigatons of methane is being released. There is nothing we can do to stop it. In the last video posted above (Part 2), if you skip to 3:22 and listen onward, you will see Dr. Peter Wadhams state that he doesn't think we'll survive.

2. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Why don't they just capture the bloody thing and send it thru the line. It's big money just waiting out there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #3 Skaendo, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    I have zero respect for "Climate Scientists". Especially since the GOP has started investigating how the NASA and NOAA has been altering temperature history to make it look like "Global Warming" is rapidly increasing, since this year is almost the coldest winter in US recorded weather history, and Al Gore (the biggest Global Warming fraudster) said a couple of years ago that there wouldn't be any more snow by this year, even some British "scientists" said the same thing. Related, and here. They have actually had to change their story to, 'colder winters are due to "Global Warming"' after they said that there wasn't going to be any more snow. Now "Global Warming" freaks are telling everyone to call it "Climate Change". They have to rename it to still be relevant? If you look at times before 'recorded weather' the earths weather goes in cycles of warming and cooling. One BIG example, The Ice Age.

Methane gas expulsion is one way that the earth moderates itself. It may have to do with how we "earthlings" use fossil fuel etc., but I think that it's a bit facetious to think that we have that big of an effect on "global climate". And now they want to tax everyone for carbon dioxide emissions (breathing)? Really, do they know anything about photosynthesis? That is trees and bushes and grass pretty much anything that grows and is green (in color) needs CO2 to live and produce O2. If you really want to combat "Climate Change" plant a tree, stop giving Gore money to help him make us pay him more money, that's the only green he is worried about.

*LOL:
    It's too cold to protest Global Warming at Yale

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. infringer

infringer MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2010
    It does though greenhouse gas would be used to terraform a planet for instance and create an atmosphere.

The problem is is when it thickens we absorb more heat at the poles raising the temperatures and pushing the pressure systems out of whack. This is why we have for instance arctic blasts and more snow in unusual locations and a crazy jet stream more or less... There is enough weather data to say with a good degree of certainty that global warming aka greenhouse gas emissions are a large contribution to "global climate change"

And yes methane weather it starts on fire or not will suffocate you.
    http://www.newscientist.com/article...or-greatest-mass-extinction.html#.VOqfMi7cSI8

5. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    The issue I have with all this is the destruction of trees ,especially in Brazil. Have seen it first hand and I'm pissed off about it, I love trees.
    More carbon dioxide in the atmosphere promotes plant growth, there should be a huge garden being created on Earth if it wasn't for the 7+ billion parasites that are destroying the land for cities and other such nonsense.

6. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #6 Skaendo, Feb 23, 2015
    Did you know that you local landfill gives off methane gas? I think that maybe we should worry more about actual man-made issues rather than those that are created naturally.

50+ years ago they were worried about "Global Cooling", 10+ years ago it was "Global Warming", Now they just say "Climate Change".
    If you were to present a case in a court where the story changes it would be dismissed immediately because the story has changed so many times that the information/informant in discredited.

This page has been "scrubbed" from the records, but found in the internet wayback machine:

Gore: Polar Ice may vanish in 5-7 years

(12-15-2009)

Then there's this:

Gore Caught in eco-lies

And then, the poles are not in any danger. In fact the polar cap is increasing in size.

And now it's global COOLING! Return of Arctic ice cap as it grows by 29% in a year

7. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    And if you're an American, that's your tax dollars hard at work.

The brutal truth that -MOST- humans refuse to face is to ecologize and save dwindling resources, we must purge the earth of about 40-50 percent of its' population.Our eating habits, methods of sanitation and hygiene, and our total lack of empathy for this world have created the world that we are living in now.We concoct things that are highly toxic,
    we dig up toxic things that nature tries to bury, and we refuse to clean up after ourselves because of financial agendas.
    And the sad thing is that most of us don't give a rats arse about ecology. All "we" care about is the next piece of technology that will occupy our time and minds while we commute to work / school.

"You reap what you sow..."

One of the saddest truths Is that politicians use these issues (which are legitimate issues that we, as individuals should be concerned with) as part of their agenda to allocate, spend, and charge more taxes. The result is that the average person doesn't want to hear about it, because it's going to cost them money. Ultimately, it ends up costing them money, because the prices of necessities rise because of the rising costs of processing petrochemicals to create containers and wrappings, all of which we gleefully toss into a landfill somewhere and wonder why we have cancers and toxic runoff.

And Climate change is -not- the only issue that gets twisted around into a financial agenda.

(No smilies were injured in the writing of this caustic, acerbic verbage.)

:MJ

8. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    If at this juncture in the climate debate and if what's happening on the ground does not give you pause and you want to quote some "Big oil" funded response then we really have nothing to talk about .. Word smith's that mold public opinion for corporate agendas are at work everywhere now .. To give credence to anything they say without trying to understand the back drop to there agenda is the sign of a shallow mind IMHO ..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lou-leonard/the-melting-north-arctic-_b_1837424.html

9. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    The Earth can sustain all, but it's the greed that is causing problems. Why purge 50% of the population when 10% have 80% of the resources at their disposal ? Why blame politicians, it's the morons that voted them in there and do nothing when they behave stupidly, that's the issue.
    If we had two more planets like Earth available right now there would still be issues cause some greedy bastard would probably patent the planet and take ownership for themselves.
    I have no faith in humanity, you are all a greedy, stupid inferior specie, can't wait till we invade you.

10. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    You'd be surprised as to how helpless we are as a group to control which politicians get into office. surreptition is the name of the game. True agendas are hidden in a sea of hogwash and meaningless drivel. Many of us simply do not have the time, patience, or resources to keep track of everything that goes on. Apathy sets in, and these idiots get into office, leaving a wake of practically undoable garbage for the people to endure.

When I say "eliminate 50% of the populous", I do not say that with any venom towards humanity. In my travels, I have met so many wonderful souls whose lives were and are a precious gift to me.

I disagree that the earth can sustain all. Humans tend to be parasitic by nature. We occupy a place, either eat or waste all of the resources, and then we move on, because that place can no longer safely sustain the lifestyle that the humans in that place had become accustomed to. We are -not- symbiotic creatures.

In -every- society there will -always- be those who are a little bit more crafty than the rest of us. They will be able to spot market trends, collect up capital and resources, and create the next "thing" that the masses can not live without.

And that's the 10% that thrive and profit from the work of the 90%.

Are they monsters? By the standards of some, yes. They appear greedy and vicious, simply because they have an agenda, and are willing to do whatever it takes to accomplish that agenda. Of course, if you overlook the people whose lives they spent to accomplish what they did, they're visionaries and entrepenuers.

J.P. Morgan, Rockefeller, Carnegie, Edison, just to name a few.

We as a species are addicted to our lavish lifestyles. Most of us (Myself included) have more technology then we will -ever- need. And we will -always- be striving for more. Businesses know this, and will always attempt to feed our needs.

The computer is a classic example of this. There was a time when the only people who owned computers were the lucky few who knew how to build them. Programs were given away for free, because the programmers were altruistic in the most wonderful sense. If you had 64k of RAM, you had a beast of a computer.

Now, our phones have as much computing power as the desktop computers of 20 years ago. And make no bones about it. Technology is toxic by its' very nature. Solder is composed of lead and tin, two toxic metals that have been proven to cause a plethora of health problems. There are stories about how lead caused the ultimate demise of the Roman empire.

And I didn't even mention gaming consoles. Or Aluminum (which some medical professionals believe plays a role in Alzheimer's disease.) CDs, DVDs have an aluminum oxide layer with nothing but a layer of varnish between it and us.

With that said, do We have to kill 50% of our brothers and sisters? No. For every step that medicine takes to prolong our lives, More toxic substances and dangerous lifestyle choices will be presented to us, effectively tipping the scales against us.

We are culling our own herds quite nicely, if you ask me. Do we have a choice? Yes.
    But, the price to pay is just too high for most of us.

"And the beat goes on..."

11. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    #11 R29k, Feb 23, 2015
    I could keep on ranting but this is a better response ... :D

12. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
  13. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Do as I say not as I do :laie:

14. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
  15. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    Breibart, now there's a bastion for right wing BS we can count on to tote "Big Oil's" agenda .. What ? Would you rather they not have met .. Really man this is 2015 :rolleyes:

16. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    What is this another weak attempt at saying climate change doesn't exist ? Where I'm at we're having the coldest Winter on record .. Weather extremes is what I'm looking at, brought on by climate change ..

It says in your sig "current Slacker!" that sums it up perfect ..

17. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #17 Skaendo, Feb 23, 2015
    *Off Topic Clarification*
    Slacker is a slang term used to indicate a Slackware Linux user, just as Debianite is used by Debian Linux users.

*On Topic*
    "Climate Change" does exist, I am merely trying to point out that it is being used by some to generate fear that we are doing this by burning "fossil fuels".
    In fact the earth goes through "Climate Changes" throughout the earths history, even before recorded weather history. The thought that we have that much of an impact on the weather and ozone is laughable. A exception would be that a nuclear detonation that reaches the highest atmospheres does more damage than all humans put together. And now even scientists "predictions and calculations" are being questioned with that since Chernobyl is turning into a forest and is supporting wild animals. A more likely scenario that will cause global climate change is a super volcano, like Yellowstone erupting and filling the atmosphere with dust sending us into a global ice age, again.

Which brings me back to my point that 50+ years ago it was called "Global Cooling", 10+ years ago they renamed it "Global Warming", today they want to call it "Climate Change".

18. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    Your repeating yourself and a number of right wing talking points that have been around for years now .. The facts are out now .. No need for debate .. There will be those that act and those that continue to carry water for big oil ..

19. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Some people have a mindset similar to George W Bush, you are either with us or against us, there is no middle ground.
    Pity acrsn isn't around so we could have a laugh.

20. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    #20 Michaela Joy, Feb 24, 2015
    Nobody with a half-a-brain (Brooklynese...I wonder if that's in Wikipedia?) can challenge basic chemistry and earth science and say that the climate is -NOT- changing for the worse.

When a physical system reaches a certain point, it takes very little to push it "over the edge". Case in point: Methane and CO2...-HUGE- amounts of it. Not to mention carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons.

Here's an interesting article about ozone. Note the blatent lack of advertising; That's because the masses -won't- be steered to it as part of some political ruse.

http://www.fraqmd.org/ozonechemistry.htm

Here's a classic example of a man-made system breaking down. It didn't take more than some wind to do it.

Enjoy the show. :pizza::icecream: