Have you ever had a forced update after disabling updates?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by pf100, Feb 12, 2017.

?

Have you ever had a forced update after disabling updates?

1. Yes

31.7%
  2. No

68.3%
  1. Feniksrising

Feniksrising MDL Member

Nov 27, 2016
    I'm running windows 10 Enterprise LTSB. I set it up so it only searches for updates when I do so manually. I've also never had an update change any settings, I saw people complain about that but it never happened to me.

Ofcourse I'm not on the Current Branch so that helps ;)

2. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Manual updates don't prevent changes made by updates and I never said they did. I'm saying updates DO change settings and can make previously working manual update methods stop working. That's why I made a poll asking if someone ever got a forced update after turning off updates. I want to find out under what conditions an update can undo settings that change manual updates that previously worked. That's the point of this thread! Do you see what I'm saying? That's all I'm interested in.

Automatic updates hog all your computer's resources while gaming and makes the game choppy and lowers framerates. That's the whole point of me wanting complete control of the update process and to find out under what conditions someone got an update after turning off updates.

I don't know what I've done wrong, or what I've failed to say, but this entire thread is almost completely off-topic. Out of 3 pages of responses I've gotten one or two responses that are on-topic. Most responses are about the best way to do manual updates which is not at all what I'm asking about.

3. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    #25 pf100, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    (OP)
    As of now, 22% of those who responded answered yes to the poll asking, "Have you ever had a forced update after disabling updates?" I'd say that's a significant number worth investigating and not wasting our time discussing manual update methods. The OP has a link to thread for that topic. Can we please stay on topic?

Edit: Now the numbers are 25% having had a forced update after using manual update methods. 1 out of 4 is a pretty big number.

Edit 2: Now if we just had more information on the details of the failed manual update methods. That would be awesome.

4. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    OK, that point wasn’t clear to me by reading the thread title. But I clarify that my settings adjustments that updates reversed weren’t made by manual updates, but by me thru Settings.

Thanks, for the first time I’m beginning to understand why people turn off updates. But you can specify the time they are installed so as to suit you, though probably not the time they are downloaded.

5. prashantsays

prashantsays MDL Member

Jun 13, 2016
    yes, when i have paid money from my pocket for my internet connection than its not microsoft who should decide how to use my bandwidth.
    I would be more than happy with auto updates if microsoft start paying for my network :D

6. wallofasgard

wallofasgard MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2015
    Currently using LTSB with Auto update service disabled,no further tweak was done.Almost 3 months without forced update but i am still monitoring my system using netlimiter to see if something (from M$) is updating.