Hdd problems with windows

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by dragonfire665, Jun 23, 2018.

1. dragonfire665

dragonfire665 MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2008
    #1 dragonfire665, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Hello everyone Is been awhile. But I have come across a problem that I need help with.
    So I installed windows 10 on a new computer. I went to used my old windows Daz loader and gave me a "unsupported system" message. Never seen it before. Mind you, I used an old windows 10 disc with old update.
    So, I tried to use kmspico. I was unable to find a copy in this website to download since every page was found to be no longer working. I found a version online. But while installing it, it installed a bunch of ads and crap. I immediately restarted my system and just tried to start fresh with a windows 7 disc.
    Windows 7 was not finding my hdd even thought it was loading and showing within bios.
    I then tried again Windows 10 again. This time when I boot with cdrom and start the I stallion loading process, my screen goes to a dot blinking page then the whole screen turns gold and nothing happens.
    So, Yea. Now I'm stuck and can't figured out what happened or how to fix it so I can install windows 7 instead.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I would first do a Low-Level format of the System HDD (I use LLFMT from hddguru.com for such). After doing that, I would install Windows 7 Ultimate and use (after the full install) DAZ Loader for to 'activate' Windows. If that were successful, I would use a freshly downloaded Windows 10 ISO, mount that one on the running Windows 7 Ultimate and use the Setup.exe for to start the Upgrade Process to Windows 10. If asked for a Product Key I would 'check' that I didn't have one and carry on the install.

That should do the Job! After that was done completely, you'll have a new HWID for your machine and could directly start a new and clean install of Windows 10, which would be auto-activated with your new HWID. Not forget to be online while doing the Upgrade and also Clean Install!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
  4. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    Thought low level format was a no go with new sata drives? Just learned something. Every day is a learning day.

5. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Daz' loader has never worked with Windows 10, only Windows 7.
    A "low-level format" nowadays is just writing zeroes to the drive. Low-level format sounds better so everyone still uses the term including me.

6. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    is there away to make hdd low level bootable?

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    In general yes, you're right!

I'm not really a fan of SSD's, simply because of to much problems with those within the Warranty time. On one of those, A OCZ SSD, which I wasn't able to claim (after 13months of using) I tested to get it back to work with using the low-level formatting and that worked just fine. What those other Special SSD Tools were not able, the LLFMT does the job and that SSD is still running 2 years later in a daily used Laptop o0f one of my workers!

Anyway, LLFMT should only be used by some people who know what they're doing, and, regarding SSD's as last resort.

8. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Have you checked the BIOS of the system if UEFI is enabled?

9. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    I don't understand what you're asking me.

10. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    I believe in learning from mistakes & everyone makes them so pointing them out on tech forums is what I do & what I expect from others,you see glass half empty I see glass half full.

11. #13 Deleted member 1032214, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2018
    i dont understand why people here suggesting low level format. whats the advantage of doing that?
    it only reduces storage life.

12. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    It literally took me 1min to find a working download link for kmspico from the 1st page of thread here.I do read & as you said I will keep my messages to myself from now on in this thread.Good luck solving your issue.

13. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    Here is my new issues. After formatting the drive, windows 7 wont let me install because it tells me the following message:

"
    windows cannot be installed to this disk the selected disk is of the gpt partition style

I have tried everything, but at the end, it only shows and uses 746GB. It will install there but the other 2TB are no where to be found, not even as unllocated. I have tried other partition program, but none see the missing 2TB. How can i recover the missing 2TB.

14. eemuler

eemuler MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Nothing condescending about it, IMHO.

15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Not really true.

In some cases, the low-level formatting is the only way to get an HDD back to work. But, who will use those apps, should do that very carefully and know what he/she is doing! Fatalities maybe not far away!

If someone telling that Low-Level Format is same as Zero'ing the HDD, that's not entirely true either. What (as an example) LLFMT is doing, is even cleaning/clearing the otherwise protected Track Zero. What Apps like Drevitalize, HDD Regenerator, HD Sentinel and so doing, isn't Low-Level formatting. They're overwriting all accessible Sectors and maybe marking those which could net accessed as Bad Sectors. In Drevitalize is a question of settings how many time that should be done, in HDD Regenerator it's a fixed number or re-writes (3 AFAIK) and in HD Sentinel it's at least 5 times. Read more about that at the specific sites on the Internet.

16. eemuler

eemuler MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2015
    AFAIK the disk controller on board the HDD or SSD intercepts all commands and basically does its own thing. What happens at the low level is not under our control.

17. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Now, WHAT HDD you try to install Windows 7 too?

If I were you, I would just use any single (maybe old) HDD and install Windows 7 Ultimate to it in MBR scheme. Finish installing, as I wrote in my post (Post: #3) use DAZ Loader to activate and upgrade to Windows 10 after that. That would create a "legal" new HWID for your computer. Now, remove that 'old HDD' with Windows 7 and clean install Windows 10 (what version you want) and get it auto-activated on the Boot System you want.

That's it!

18. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The Firmware of an HDD could be interrupted with some 'good old' Debug commands, which is done in LLFTM!

But I don't want to go into a discussion about that. If you like to know more about that, you'll need to invest a lot of time and learn even more! And some like that would end up in nothing good on THIS FORUM!