How can i create Super Lite Windows 10 ?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by xhemal1325, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Ace2

Ace2 MDL Expert

Oct 10, 2014
    Windows 10 Starter to share ? :confused:

2. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    #22 xinso, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    Yeah. I just can't make it come true according to your instructions. So I am wishing for a ready-made script, or pack from you.

Any chance? (It's OK if there's difficulty for you. I am just wishing...)

3. Ace2

Ace2 MDL Expert

Oct 10, 2014
    No need for a ready-made script or pack, just need Windows 10 Home [Core] to have been activated on your pc with a digital license.;)

4. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    #24 xinso, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    That easy? Thank you so very much! So amazing, Core and Starter.

(I never used Windows 10 Core)

OK. Thanks again. Good day!

Edit: Not a chance.
    Code:
    Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.812
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Activating Windows(R), Starter edition (23505d51-32d6-41f0-8ca7-e78ad0f16e71) ...
    Error: 0x87E10BC6 On a computer running Microsoft Windows non-core edition, run 'slui.exe 0x2a 0x87E10BC6' to display the error text.

5. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    It is necessary to integrate all updates before removing components as Windows Update will be broken. Integrating cumulative updates with Dism will also not work. Integrated updates will not be removed.

But any update that doesn't use the PSFX format (.NET 4.8 if I'm not mistaken, Adobe Flash) is possible to be integrated if you keep the Component Store. Windows features in Programs and Features in the control panel can be enabled and disabled. Removing the Component Store you lose that too.

Since version 1809 cumulative updates use the PSFX format so several components have to be kept in the WinSxS folder to maintain compatibility with updates. MSMG Toolkit and NTLite (with servicing stack compatibility enabled) remove only hard links while keeping files in WinSxS so there is almost no reduction in image size. Just removing Windows Apps will reduce the size a bit in that case.

The "deep removal mode" of NTLite and WinReducer removes these files in WinSxS so it significantly reduces the image size but breaking compatibility with cumulative updates.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    So, it won't be save to use.

7. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    Yes just like any smartphone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    I edited my post that talks about the guide with WinReducer. This does not seem to be suitable for daily use.

ISO size doesn't really affect performance. Even ivankehayov's ISO is not much different from the LTSC ISO untouched in terms of services running in the background which is what matters in terms of performance. You don't need to get that ISO size to get an OS even lighter in resource consumption and this is possible using MSMG Toolkit or any script that removes Windows Apps and some System Apps like Optimize-Offline script both supported here in MDL. If you want something lighter disable some services and scheduled tasks.

If you want something more aggressive you will get better support on the NTLite or WinReducer forums. Just download some presets and test. And WinReducer from my experience seems very buggy.

9. jeff69dini

jeff69dini MDL Expert

Nov 22, 2008
    #29 jeff69dini, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    does it pass sfc /scannow clean?

actually I tried, hmm, very impressive, small lightweight, and only 1 file corruption noted, iechooser.exe
    even alot system apps removed with no issues...still doing more testing

10. xhemal1325

xhemal1325 MDL Member

May 24, 2014
    I haven't test that, but there are a lot of components removed which makes it faster !
    you think that scannow can find a keylogger or any other hack inside system ?

11. jeff69dini

jeff69dini MDL Expert

Nov 22, 2008
    nah won't find a logger, lol..........but it will report any corruption, that would be nice to know, please share the results if u try

12. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    last time I've reviewed a similar 7-"lite" shared on kickass - it did not even had any external tools, but used a powershell-based rat :))
    everytime wu would check for updates it would simply write it's ip to a text file on a ftp, and then just wait for incoming commands
    there were no visible traces of it running on startup if checking via autoruns, as it had an wu hijack-on-exit method unknown at that time.
    now days, I find it harder to spot such stuff since there are dozens of toolkits to do elaborate hijacks and masquerades,
    checking hashes won't cut it, you need to do old-fashion file-compares and in the context of microsoft changing ~70000 files monthly to cover their own s**t, proves way too much time-consuming to bother with any such stuff. plus there is plenty of stuff simply living in the registry and other such locations..good luck going through that

13. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    Certainly not. For that the ISO would have to be much larger in size and would probably be compatible with updates.

14. verndog

verndog MDL Member

May 3, 2010
    My experience exactly. I used nlite in the beginning, then another, then wondered why updates bombed. I don't do that anymore. Its not like lighter = faster. The core of the OS does the heavy lifting. Making it lighter means your trying to remove extraneous programs only to cut a major artery. Updates fail. You may not know that until a critical update comes along.

15. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Well yes, there are delays and timing issues that are tuned for the large amount of services and programs running. Win10 is designed for that. Win7 is not. Win7 is single thread and timed to run each service as fast as possible, but breaks down and lags massively when running too many. Alternatively Win10 is multithreaded and doesn't spend too many cycles waiting to see if the services are ready to proceed. So it's designed to run more, but each one won't be as responsive. That's the way it is. You can see the very slight mouse lag even after a fresh install with no bloat installed. It also performs much better on newer hardware. The slight lag becomes almost unnoticeable on recent systems.

16. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    #36 LiteOS, Nov 4, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    in the win7 era we had lots of small updates

so even if u remove package from system it will just skip that update to that package
    and will install the rest

Microsoft change that to one big update if same package is removed that will cause to update to stop
    and revert all other packages's updates and stop from getting the update

so unstable is not a term i would use

removing packages using dism
    is like Microsoft making thinPC version or Windows 7 embedded
    its not perfect compare to General OS and client version released by MS
    but its far away from just removing files and changing regs trying tweaks etc...

17. xhemal1325

xhemal1325 MDL Member

May 24, 2014
    how do you do yours ? DISM, or NTLITE ?

18. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    If you're looking for a lite OS for an older PC, I would suggest Win 7, or Win 8.1 lite. Windows 10 no matter how lite is still heavier than it's predecessors.

19. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    #39 Tiger-1, Mar 9, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    I'm running W10 LTSC and used Toolkit v. 10.1 without any problem, sfc / scannow never reported errors it is certain that the way I use the toolkit is different, and I still make several changes in services.msc is a marvel ...
    EDIT: well I forgot to say that after working with the Toolkit I did the conversion from install.wim to install.esd so mine is only 2.6 GB the system installation is extremely fast

20. Hal2000

Hal2000 MDL Junior Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Not sure of your laptop spec but I have just replaced the hard drive with a SSD in my dell and the result is amazing. Have tried all the LTSB / LTSCs and it took 10 mins to be able to do anything with it. Now with SSD able to run Full Enterprise v 1909 and booting in less than 1 min.