How to check a windows 10 lite for anything suspicious ?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by xhemal1325, Oct 15, 2019.

1. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    MS has never entertained the modular setup approach even from nlite/xp days so it never will. Its had chances, MinWin anyone? MS will always be "you have to install to uninstall(or disable in Features)". Accept it and get on and GSD(Get s**t Done).

2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    They do that with .net stuff. It's possible that they do it with other features, but I was more speaking in general. One situation that comes to mind is the media files that are missing with the N versions. You'd think that the program would include their own versions if they're required for use, but they don't. In my case, I removed defender. I did it with installwimtweak so it should satisfy the operating system, but a lot of different ui programs keep the ability to try to call it. So in order to fully remove it and all traces you'd need to have a custom ui file for each program and it would likely get restored by future windows updates. It just felt so janky and amateur that I didn't like it. It's not my style. I much prefer to leave the distribution in tact and just set a few reg keys to control unnecessary services.

3. ruuu7

ruuu7 MDL Member

Mar 7, 2015
    If you don't like telemetry get a nice linux distro.

Telemetry always was part of windows and always will be. my 5 cents...

4. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Or just use the telemetry override registry key...
    Code:
    REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection" /v "AllowTelemetry" /D 0 /T

5. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...