[HOW-TO/SUPPORT/CHAT] OFFICE C2R Download/Install/Activation

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by s1ave77, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Sexy Loli

Sexy Loli MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2017
    I am curious as to why the evaluation copy of the ISO link isn't on here, unless you can't use that? ...and I'm not going to read all 156 pages to find the answer if there is even one....search term doesn't bring back anything so I guess it hasn't yet been discussed....

Also, is it necessary to disable telemetry on this? Can't be that bad, can it....?

Woops wrong thread topic.... :doh:

2. geneticplasma

geneticplasma MDL Senior Member

May 13, 2011
    #3122 geneticplasma, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    We all know, that there a many/different ways to activate Office.

I use OfficeRTool for activate Office with Mondo license and after that I insert Retail-license Key - ended with -VMFTK (without any error message, but also not a validation message, the window only has getting closed).

So that is exactly the way we have to go (if you want new ribbon):

1. Activate Office with Mondo-license
    2. Insert Retail-license Key -VMFTK
    3. Keeping both licenses*...the Mondo license for using Office 180 days period and Retail-license for "thinking" beeing Office 365 and provide new ribbon (it doesn't matter if the license has expired).
    4. If you don't insert the Retail-License -VMFTK, you never will get the new ribbon.

*Following this way, I don't miss any Office 365 features besides.

I am very sure, that you will have the new ribbon also tomorrow and the day after tomorrow, and... ;)

3. MatteoMit

MatteoMit MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2018
    Yes, I can confirm: two weeks have passed and it still works.

4. fkstabizler

fkstabizler MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2015
    2 days passed, all fine :) Thank you again.

My steps was: Install Office 365 ProPlus with OfficeRTool, run C2R-R2V_8 and KMS_VL_ALL-SppExtComObjPatcher-kms-29 and than the steps mentioned in my other posts.

In my opinion, it should be included in Retail2VL converters when Office 365 installation is detected on the system, to have both licenses. Anyway, now I know how to.

5. zegra

zegra MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2014
    #3126 zegra, Feb 15, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    I've been away for a long time. I'm currently using the VL version of office 2016 that I downloaded when it came out, but it seems this variant does not get the feature updates that the C2R variant (or whatever it's called) gets; only stability, bug fixing and security updates.

I want to download and install the C2R office 2016 offline (keep the files for future use) but honestly cannot make heads and tails of all the info on the forum.

I'm using windows 7. I tried the OfficeRTool but the download option seems to download the latest 16.0.11231.20174 version. That's 2019, right? AFAIK office 2019 is not compatible with 7.

How do I download the 2016 C2R version?

P.S. My internet connection has a small monthly quota, so I'm trying to avoid having to re-download large files.

EDIT: If I download one of MS' official 2016 C2R ISOs, is there a way to customize the installation with the XML method?

6. anndrey93

anndrey93 MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2014
    I installed the office from this page but when i try to convert it to VL it gives me a bunch of errors and i can't convert it form retail to VL, also i can't activate it.
    After i try to convert them Office is trying to fix himself by repairing after using the conversion.

Also tried to convert them with OfficeRTools .

Can someone tell me how to post that bunch of error?
    Maybe i can fix the, maybe someone know how to fix them.

L.E.: Does OfficeRTools works with 64 bit version? Because that's the version i installed it.

7. lUnkNown

lUnkNown MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2018
    Hello everyone

today i downloaded Office 2016 Retail from microsoft but i cant to convert it to VL license.

i got errors.

please someone tell me how can i change Retail to VL latest Office 2016 and than how can i activate it?

8. KaoDome

KaoDome MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Hi, I'm having some trouble activating Office in a Windows 10 1809 machine, I remember reading about some extra steps needed to be performed in 1809 when it came out but for some reason I don't seem to be able to find info about it.

Starting from a clean-ish machine (any previous Office has been uninstalled and scrubbed), I tried using OfficeRTool, YAOCTRI or OfficeC2R to install Office (lets say 365 Business for example). Once it is installed, since it is a Retail product I would open one of the apps which assigns me a 5 or 6 day trial period. Then I would use OfficeRTool, C2R-R2V or OfficeC2R again to convert it to Volume; in this case since we're talking 365 Business it would go to a Mondo license I think.

At that point the installation is already botched, if I try opening an app again I get a message that Office needs to be repaired or reinstalled (don't recall right now). Trying to activate with OfficeRTool or OfficeC2R doesn't lead anywhere, in fact it gets stuck sometimes there and I need to forcefully close the application and restart the machine.

Is it a well known problem related to 1809? I tried the same steps in a 1803 machine and it seemed to work without problem.

Am I missing something? Thanks anyway!

9. darkradeon

darkradeon MDL Junior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    #3130 darkradeon, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    How can I get Semi-Annual Channel version of Visio (Pro) 2019 (current version 1808 build 10730.20280)? I installed it on my desktop and I forgot how, now I am not able to get it on my tablet :\

I can get it only on non-business channels, can I convert it back on Semi-Annual Channel then?

I know that for a lot of people using consumer monthly channel is not a big deal, but I cannot list anymore how many times Microsoft f**ked up with their updates on Windows and Office multiple machines of mine...

EDIT: nevermind, the back-conversion works. I had to switch to monthly update channel, download visio 2019 pro, switch back tu SAC, convert to VL, active it. now looks like it works.

10. The Computer Guy 06

The Computer Guy 06 MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2018
    #3131 The Computer Guy 06, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    For some reason the C2R 365 that comes with my laptop will not uninstall properly which is preventing me from installing Office 2016 Prof Pro. Used 3 different cleanup tools to no avail.
    So now I want to reset the laptop again and convert the C2R to volume so I can activate using msoft toolkit.
    I have downloaded the C2R 7z file but the readme doesn't have any instructions. I referred to post #1 and post #5 but I still don't see any instructions.
    I'm sure there are a million ways I could screw this up so I figured I'd ask first.
    Thanks in advance

[FOLLOW UP] I decided to just give it a try based on some other thread comments. I opened Excel and just bypassed all the usual "activate me" dialogs until I got a blank spreadsheet. Then I closed it and ran the C2R converter followed by msoft toolkit. Said it was successfully installed. When I opened Excel after, still not activated.

[SECOND TRY] Signed up for a msoft account, proceeded with trial activation. Bombed out 0x80070005 error. So I can't scrub the C2R install, Can't get a free trial going, looks like OpenOffice it is. SMH!
    BTW, I am doing a Windows 10 reset each time I try something new. Just tired of it all after 4 days and about 15 resets.

11. l33tissw00t

l33tissw00t MDL Addicted

Dec 6, 2012
    Download OfficeScrubber. Extract to a folder. Run Scrub.cmd as admin. Enjoy :)

12. The Computer Guy 06

The Computer Guy 06 MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2018
    #3133 The Computer Guy 06, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    Can you please provide a link. I can't find OfficeScrubber. I looked

[FOUND IT]

[FOLLOW UP] Something is funky about this C2R. I wont convert, activate, or uninstall properly. Scrubber didn't work. I give up!. Thanks for the tips.

13. l33tissw00t

l33tissw00t MDL Addicted

Dec 6, 2012
  14. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
    #3135 sid_16, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    deleted.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Revagon

Revagon MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2016
    #3136 Revagon, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    UPDATE (March 6): Starting with the March 2019 Office update (v1902), the new ribbon is enabled by default for 365 and Mondo installs (no Internet required). However, some Office 365 features remain disabled without ever connecting the Office apps to the Internet.

I have reworded this post to mention "additional Office 365 features" instead of "the new ribbon."

---

I’ve done some extensive research about enabling additional Office 365 features, and I’d like to share my observations. Beware: it’s very confusing!

First thing to know: Office 2016, 2019, and 365 use the same files.

When you download Office, you get a huge binary that includes every feature used in Office 365. Office 2016 and 2019 are really just license configurations that restrict the features you can use in this huge binary.

There appears to be four feature sets:
    • Office 2016: Only includes features released up to September 2015. Uses the old style ribbon.
    • Office 2019: Adds select features that used to be 365 exclusives up to September 2018 (eg: dark theme, morph transition). Also uses the old style ribbon.
    • Office 2016 Mondo: The weird Office license config that includes every single Office application. Despite the “2016” in its name, Mondo has more features than Office 2019. It seemingly includes all the 365 features while retaining the old ribbon. (As of March 2019, Mondo appears to have feature parity with 365.)
    • Office 365: The subscription version of Office that includes all features, including the new ribbon
    Now here’s the next kicker: Some Office variants won’t activate all of its features until you connect to the Internet.

When you install Office from your downloaded binary, you have the option to install Office 2016, Office 2019, Office Mondo, or Office 365.

If you install any variant of Office Mondo or 365 offline (using configuration.xml files, YAOCTRI, or OfficeRTool) and launch each Office program offline, you won't be able to use any Office 365 feature released after Office 2019 (with the exception of the new ribbon) until you connect to the Internet.

When you first launch the Office programs while connected to the Internet, you won’t see the additional Office 365 features just yet. In the meantime, Office will download and install various registry configs within:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\ExperimentConfigs

The next time you launch the Office programs, you should see the additional Office 365 features. If not, launch the Office programs again and let them run for at least a few seconds.

Keep in mind you’ll need to open each Office program to get the additional Office 365 features on each program. For instance, if you get the additional Office 365 features in Word but never opened PowerPoint, PowerPoint won't have the additional Office 365 features if launched offline.

All that’s good to know, but remember, you can only KMS activate volume editions of Office! All Office 365 variants are retail editions, so how would you be able to use Office 365 features without a subscription?

Thankfully, there’s an oversight that lets you install both retail and volume licenses in Office. If you install Office 365, then inject a volume license product key (such as Office Mondo’s), you’ll be able to KMS activate Office AND use the Office 365 features, because Microsoft will think you have Office 365 and install the appropriate registry configs! It won’t matter if your Office 365 grace period expires either.

As of March 2019, C2R-R2V will install the Office Mondo key while keeping the Office 365 grace key intact.

- - - - -
    Note: Don’t confuse the above process with converting Office from retail to volume using OfficeRTool or C2R-R2V (pre v9)! Those conversion scripts completely remove the Office 365 license and replace it with a Mondo license.

If you open each Office program while connected to the Internet after using these tools, you will lose the additional Office 365 features UNLESS you have extended the ‘Expires’ registry key in each
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\ExperimentConfigs\Ecs\[office app]. (credits to @stkov for figuring this out)
    - - - - -

By now, we should know how to access the additional Office 365 features via KMS activation. But is it possible to get the additional features without ever connecting Office to the Internet?

Surprisingly, the answer is yes. If you export the registry keys from each Office program in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\ExperimentConfigs\Ecs\[office app], then import these registry keys to another computer that’s completely offline, you will have installed the additional Office 365 features on the offline computer!

Make sure the Office installed on the other computer has the same license type, or you may end up with a Frankenstein Office. For instance, importing the 365 registry keys on a computer with Office 2016 may give you the new SVG Office icons inside the old ribbon. Strange stuff.

Also, as soon as you connect the other computer to the Internet, Office will replace the installed registry keys to its “proper” ones.

One more caveat: if you update Office then never connect Office to the Internet again, you’ll keep your current Office 365 features but not get the new features from the given Office update.

Example: You have the version of Office 365 from December 2018, which has the Office 365 feature "see slide number on printed handouts." You then update Office to the version from February 2019, which adds Line Focus to Word. Once that update’s installed, you disconnect from the Internet and launch the Office programs. While you still have the feature "see slide number on printed handouts," you can’t find the Line Focus feature in Word.

The only ways to re-sync your Office experiment registry keys to each Office update is to connect Office to the Internet, or import the appropriate registry keys from a different computer.

Let me know if you find any further observations or corrections on my findings.

16. Sexy Loli

Sexy Loli MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2017
    Ahhh, that explains why Office 2019 keys work on a 2016 install through Office Tool Plus....when trying to install the 2019 version on windows 7 but since the native installer requires windows 10 to run, you are left with installing the program as a 2016 Office edition but just replace the key to a 2019 and activate and you get a working activated copy of 2019 on windows 7....

...so effectively you could just download the O365 ISO(as according to you, would have all the features to date or at least up till when that ISO/IMG was compiled), install that but then activate with an Office 2016 license key if you just only want Office 2016 installed rather than 2019 or 365 for whatever reasons, right...?

17. Revagon

Revagon MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2016
    Just tested this. If you install Office 365, completely remove the Office 365 grace key, and then activate Office 2016, you will indeed revert to the Office 2016 feature set with the old ribbon and all.

18. Sexy Loli

Sexy Loli MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2017
    Any ideas why Microsoft has restricted Office 2019 to be only install on windows 10 machines when the 365 counterpart, has the same base but with a lot more features can be installed natively on a windows 7/8.1 machine? ....is it one of those "This will get people using windows 10 more since office 2019 only installs on this system" just like how Halo 2 was windows vista exclusive which was that sole reason to make people move away from xp to vista but in this case, it is windows 7/8.1 to windows 10? ...or is there another ...more deeper reason why? Like (for some reason) technical reason, that they've decided to implement....that neither windows 7 or 8.1 have but 10 has?

19. rockieee

rockieee MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2019
    #3140 rockieee, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    Hello everyone i'm new here. First i'd like to thank everyone who worked to make this, and congratulate with them for the EXCELLENT work done. But here am i now asking for help

So i'm trying to install single apps (Word,Excel,PP,Outlook) on a freshly installed windows 7 home premium 64bit and reading the instruction pdf (very detailed and helpful) i found out that in order to install Office 2019 suite (or single apps) onto win 7, ClickToRun is required, but apparently it's not starting the installation, I've already tried with the default ODT setup, but ofc it fails due to the windows version. I have microsoft essential installed, but disabled the "real-time protection", i've also tried cleaning the failed office installations with the removal tool, but still the ClickToRun setup doesn't want to start. Any idea on what's causing this? Thanks in advance, and again, grats for the insane work you've done and you keep doing.

UPDATE: SOLVED following this mini-guide here https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/discussion-microsoft-office-2019.75232/page-33#post-1466365
    Just had a little of trouble deleting both the reg keys, i tried both manually and with the command, in the end i had to use a little program called Registry DeleteEx, that managed to delete one of the two keys which was blocked.

Thanks!