[Not working anymore] How to upgrade from W7/8.1 without going through the complete upgrade process

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Yen, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yomoma2

yomoma2 MDL Senior Member

Feb 27, 2010
    #121 yomoma2, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    Hi,

I have one test machine that I can't just figure out how to activate windows 10 online after an upgrade, because I'm always getting a 0xC004C003 blocked key error. The paths I've tried previously:

a) 8.1 pro vl activated with kms, fully updated > upgrade via 10240 iso while online under windows> 0xC004C003 when going online after install
    (This procedure worked with another test PC. First W10 activated with a funny MAK key under retail channel, and then after a clean install skipping key prompts, it auto activated with the usual generic 3V66T Pro key under retail channel.)

b) 7 Ult Sp1 daz activated with wi-fi driver but no other updates, checked genuine online > upgrade via 10240 iso while online under windows > 0xC004C003 when going online after install

c) 7 Ult Sp1 daz activated, checked genuine online > upgrade to 10 Pro via windows update (after all OS updates and drivers updated) > manually update W10 missing drivers > 0xC004C003 when going online after install

Today:

d) 10 Pro 10130 updated missing drivers, activated online with YKHCF key (still valid) > upgrade via 10240 iso while online under windows > update to same missing drivers > 0xC004C003 when going online after install (GenuineTicket.xml auto generated during iso upgrade remains untouched on it's folder, and doesn't disappear)
    (This worked OK on a fresh VM running in another PC, but not in the problematic computer this post relates to.)

e) 10 Pro 10130 updated missing drivers, activated online with YKHCF key (still valid) > manually generated and backup GenuineTicket.xml > clean 10240 iso Pro install while offline, skipping key prompts > manually update to same missing drivers > reboot, and place GenuineTicket.xml in \GenuineTicket folder, reboot again > 0xC004C003 after going online (GenuineTicket.xml remains untouched on it's folder, and doesn't disappear)

Going offline, stopping ClipSVC and replacing GenuineTicket.xml with previous backup (even though the file is exactly the same), and then starting the service and going online ends ups in the same error after slmgr /ato.
    Only vl key + kms seems to activate W10 Pro on that computer. I'm really out of ideas, as it seems like the generated ticket's can't be validated online under RTM.

2. Alv22

Alv22 MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2014
    VL_MAK Activation can do by this way

I tried recently using gatherosstate from Win 8.1 Pro VL_MAK Activated Genuine, take GenuineTicket, Clean Install W10 Pro, Convert to VL_MAK Ver at Win10 and copy genuine ticket to ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC\GenuineTicket, Reboot and Activate it online.

By the way, thanks Yen for the Tips:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    VLs are officially not supported, they are NOT upgradeable. So if one encounters issues while using VL....yomoma2...you might have fiddled too much with it and M$ might have blocked the HWID of that particular PC.

You should have tried the official upgrade path from beginning (OEM or retail)...all you can do is to repeat that some days later...:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. yomoma2

Feb 27, 2010
    #124 yomoma2, Sep 9, 2015
    It's an unsupported path, but I've tried it both on another MB and VM and activates without issue. I'd find it strange if that hwid was perma locked after the first attempt, and it was already a month ago.
    It seems that upgrades dependent on GenuineTicket.xml simply don't work on that machine. The b10130 to 10240 Pro isn't a third party hack of any sort, it activates the key online and it still fails after a 10240 upgrade (but this path is OK on a fresh VM).

5. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    #125 xinso, Sep 9, 2015
    Is that problematic device equipped with OA3 key for a specific edition other than Pro?

6. yomoma2

Feb 27, 2010
    No, it's just a regular desktop motherboard (not a pre-built system).

7. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
  8. yomoma2

Feb 27, 2010
    #128 yomoma2, Sep 9, 2015
    Yes, the failed online upgrades were online via wi-fi. It's not the best adapter, because clean windows installs no drivers for it, and I must manually update them. Even so, when upgrading 10130 to 10240, the previously installed drivers migrate to the new installation (that failed activation).
    The 10240 iso hash ends in 8B3E2, so it seems ok (also, there was a failed activation via WU W7->W10 upgrade).

Upgrade path/activation tests were done under Oracle Virtualbox by using fresh VMs, but not on the problematic machine or it's wi-fi adapter.

The VL kms activation that works was done locally using MTK's AutoKMS. It might take some time until I can test that machine again, but I'll report back. I'll bring along either a very long CAT6 cable, or a more compatible wi-fi adapter.

Edit: Btw, every 10240 installation/upgrade that failed to activate with 0xC004C003 was confirmed to be using the correct 3V66T key (except for the odd 8.1 Pro VL -> W10 Pro upgrade, as expected).

9. Alv22

Alv22 MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2014
    Only Retail or OEM:DM is supported for this way?

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    M$ officially announced that VolumeLicenses are excluded from the upgrade path, others say it applies to enterprise versions only....and... what's technically possible might be different.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    Well, since I could not receive notifications from you, I cannot get to know what is going on.

And I cannot keep myself waiting here, for I have my own thing to do.

I think the problem is caused by the wifi.

Good luck.

12. yomoma2

Feb 27, 2010
    #132 yomoma2, Sep 9, 2015
    Sorry, I didn't want to waste your time. I simply couldn't test it immediately, but I'll be able to report back in the next hour if I can activate it via kms online (any suggested server?).
    Unfortunately, It'll take more than a week until I can test it again with another network adapter, as I'll be away from the machine.

Edit: The machine is currently running 8.1 Pro VL with MKT, but under prompt I've done:

slmgr.vbs /skms **************
    slmgr.vbs /ato

And a pop up came up saying it activated successfully. This is under 8.1 Pro VL + VL key and the previous wi-fi adapter.
    I guess the next step should be to try 10532 with the previously generated xml ticket. 10240 has no reason not to activate the same as above in a online kms.

13. yomoma2

Feb 27, 2010
    Thanks one again. Before leaving the machine for a week, I'll try an offline 10532 clean install and place a xml ticket to see how it goes.

Edit: No go. Skipping key prompts automaticaly placed the 3V66T key, but it didn't activate when going online after placing the GenuineTicket.xml in the respective folder. Still the same blocked key error, and xml ticket stays there untouched.
    After that, online kms activation was sucessful by doing:
    slmgr ipk -T83GX (Vl Pro key)
    slmgr /skms **************
    slmgr /ato

Doesn't seem to be 10240 related, or maybe even to the wi-fi adapter. Could be something related to this 6 year old bios messing update activation due to faulty tickets. Unfortunately I'm forced to leave it to rest by now, and reload the daily W8.1 OS image.

Edit2: If it matters, I've decoded the SessionId on the xml ticket, and "DownlevelGenuineState=1" is present.

14. AlexRuiz

AlexRuiz MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2009
    I am wondering if the upgrades to Pro go through additional server traffic or validation compared to the home upgrades.

Most of the win 10 home upgrades I have performed have gone smooth, an issue here and there but in general smooth.
    The certificate method works wonders on these ones.

The pro upgrades, however, have been more problematic, as there is always something in them.
    My personal desktop I had to reboot several times to finally have it activated, and that was from a win 7 upgrade to win 10, then clean install. The clean install took over a day to activate after a lot of reboots! To add insult, that one had an installation with a Win 7 Pro COA system builder, and it took over a day for the win10 pro clean install to activate! :mad:

Another one of our own PCs, also with win 7 pro is not activating using the certificate method.
    This PC has been restarted several times. If it doesn't activate tonight I'll take the plunge, restore win 7 pro, do an in-place upgrade, restore a win 10 pro image.

I'll keep everyone in the loop.
    I speculate the M$ is putting much more scrutiny on the win 10 upgrades, which kind of makes sense. Most of the PCs sold have to be with home editions, so why most of the upgrades should be pro? ;)

15. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
  16. Alv22

Alv22 MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2014
    Any news why VLs Edition can't upgrade to 10?

17. Alv22

Alv22 MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2014
    Then it means the Activation status was saved in M$ Server

But doesn't it mean the HWID was changed too if the HDD changed?

18. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
  19. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    #140 xinso, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017