I decided to bite the bullet and update to rs1

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by pf100, Aug 4, 2016.

1. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    #1 pf100, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    Edit: August 12. The original title to this thread was "I'm holding off on upgrading to rs1"
    After running 1607 on a test machine, and being forced to replace breakaway audio enhancer with dfx audio enhancer, and having strange but easily fixed issues, and learning how to tame this version, I'm putting 1607 on my gaming machine today. This better go well with drivers. Here we go...

After a lot of time and effort I've come to learn to control as much as possible what Windows 10 Pro does. After reading about new processes and other various issues with RS1, I'm going to hold off on updating to it for a while. I've been a guinea pig for all RTM relesases (never been an insider) so far and don't plan to change testing new builds. But RS1 seems a special case here. So, sorry guys, but I'm letting you all figure this one out. I just don't have the time. And I'm picking and choosing my updates with what's in my signature. Yes, defer updates still works (with pro at least) and RS1 doesn't show up when deferred updates are turned on, but I still like complete update control no matter what. I'm concerned that disabling updates through the registry will at some point stop working, so I don't use that method, no disrespect to those that do. And yes, my method works with 10 home.

2. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    At the other extreme, I inform that I’ve indiscriminately installed all updates so far, and nothing negative appears to have happened to my system. Of course, I haven’t noticed much improvement either, but I like to believe the system has become more secure and stable as a result.

And as they say that hope dies last, I look forward to future updates in the hope that some exciting new features might appear, or some less exciting existing ones might disappear, while admitting that the odds for this are not necessarily better than those of the opposite happening.

3. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    So far six updates done and a seventh (and last) one tomorrow. No problems so far, but I'm like you in that I'm always wary of being the first to buy a new model.

So, before each upgrade I created a System Image. Cheap positive insurance that's always saved my hide in the past.

Backup, backup, backup and always have a tested recovery plan.

4. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Wouldn't the System Restore Point, which is created automatically, be sufficient?

5. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #5 PhaseDoubt, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    [FONT=&amp]I guess; I haven’t used it in years. The few times I did, I did not like the result.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The thing about a system image is it totally, 100%, replaces your current system. For me, it’s never failed to do its job. If you like using a restore point then use it. At least you’re using something.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]System image restoration does overwrite everything, so whatever is new since the image was last created will be lost. I update images every time I make a significant system change.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]But my data and documents default to a drive other than C:, so they are unaffected by an image restore to drive C:. That data is backed up to a third hard drive. I strongly believe in redundunduncy.

As far as being automatic, system protection can be turned off. I doubt many do that, but I do know some who have to save disk space.
    [/FONT]

6. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    ˄˄˄
    I was creating a system image with Acronis every 2 months on my XP, but it took a fair time. Windows 10 is much bigger and I don’t know how long it will take and what size the image will be.

What do you use for creating the image and how big is it?

7. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #7 PhaseDoubt, Aug 4, 2016
    The built-in function in Windows. I used Acronis 2010 Home with XP, but it was slow. Since my images do not include data and documents, just the Windows system, creation is taking about 20 minutes ... maybe a little less. But that will vary depending on your system footprint and whether or not your data is on drive C:.

When I create an image that includes both system and data (drives C: + H: ) on this machine, it takes a lot longer. But those type images go on one of two attached external USB drives. Those can take, oh, just guessing ... 45+ minutes.

But time is irrelevant. I have plenty of other things to do so I just start the process and do something else.

On this system, my C: drive image is approximately 21GB. The full image C: + H: is 90GB.

One thing I did notice with the anniversary update (after Windows.old was removed with disk cleanup) my system footprint was actually 3GB smaller than before. I wasn't expecting that.

8. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    #8 Katzenfreund, Aug 4, 2016
    ˄˄˄
    Thanks for the info. Though we are a little off topic, such info is of great practical use.

So do you use the following facility?
    CP > File History > System Image Backup > create a system image

And how do you avoid bulky data from being included? Is your H: another partition or a virtual drive?

9. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #9 PhaseDoubt, Aug 4, 2016
    Yep, that’s it. My H: drive is a partition on my Disk0 … the physical system drive. C: & H: are on the same physical drive. H: is backed up to a different physical drive. This computer has four internal hard drives.

What bulky data? There is none on C: and H: holds all music, photos, documents and etc. When I create an image of C:, there's no "bulky data", it's all on H:. When i create an image that is C:+H:, it does contain all the music, photos and etc. I'm unsure what you mean by "bulky data".

In Windows 10, Backup and Restore (Windows 7) is a top level icon in the Control Panel which I pinned to start.

10. Engineer2k2

Engineer2k2 MDL Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Yes - it can be accessed from Settings >> UPDATE & SECURITY >> Backup >> Go to Backup and Restore (Windows 7)

or

Directly from the 3rd Link "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" under System & Security in Control Panel (Main).;)

Very useful.

11. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    System Restore does not restore upgrades.

12. RobertJ

RobertJ MDL Senior Member

Apr 4, 2014
    Is that spelling an example? ;) :p

I never trust Windows Backup to do its job since it has failed me before. Thankfully there's no end to good free backup apps. Heck, if there's nothing else available even good old dd does the job.

For those wondering about the time it takes to image, naturally that depends on the amount of data, speed of your hardware (SSD or not) and so on. I too keep my data on a secondary partition so the system partition is never that bloated. Also I don't do a full backup every time because there's simply no need to. One full backup a month and weekly deltas are more than enough for my purposes, and the latter take very little time indeed because only the changes are backed up.

13. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Thanks again. So you create an image of C: on an external drive thru:
    CP > File History > System Image Backup > create a system image (or its shortcut)
    Then, what do you use for booting the PC in order to restore that image from the external drive?

14. wwanky

wwanky MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2009
    i've gone back to xp

15. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    #16 Katzenfreund, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    @EFA11

Thanks. That (Windows 7) is a little confusing.

And I suppose the "Create a system image", directly above the system repair disc you marked, is for creating the system image which can be restored thru the repair disc, or can it boot on its own and be restored directly?

16. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Why did you do that? I am very curious to know.

17. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    [FONT=&amp]Yeah, I guess Microsoft thinks we’re not smart enough to figure it out. If they were going to be that explicit, they should have shown the complete genesis: (Windows Vista/Windows 8/Windows 8.1/Windows 7).[/FONT]

18. jeff69dini

jeff69dini MDL Expert

Nov 22, 2008
    i've gone back to vista sp2 :eek:

:clap: