Installing Ubuntu on its own SSD

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ThomasMann, May 28, 2021.

1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    #1 ThomasMann, May 28, 2021
    Last edited: May 28, 2021
    I usually use Win7. I have put in a second SSD and want to install Linux on it, from a bootable USBstick with ubuntu-20.04.2.0-desktop-amd64.iso on it. I have disconnected the Windows SSD.
    All I can do is start Ubuntu from the USB stick, but I want to install it on the empty SSD. Basically, I want to boot the computer from the USBstick, and then I want Ubuntu to ask where to install, or immediately start installing on the only Harddisk, the empty SSD.
    So the next time I want to boot Linux, I can go to the bootloader and choose Ubuntu..

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

2. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    #8 ipx, May 28, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2022

3. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    #9 ThomasMann, May 28, 2021
    Last edited: May 30, 2021
    (OP)
    Thank you, but as I wrote, the same procedue, with the same hardware and rufus, but with ubuntu 21 worked the way it should.
    I am used to this, as I clean install my Win7 about every two years, also from an USBstíck.

4. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Don't unplug anything. I dual boot and I install Winblows first. Then, I install Linux. Choose a different SSD to install Linux on BUT choose "/" (for the root) on the original SSD where Winblows is.

It should all work fine - just don't use Elementary OS to dual-boot with Winblows, as it sometimes f**ks up the boot files and you have to reinstall everything, it seems... It happened to me, installing it for a friend, on his old PC!

For reference, in some other respects (like apps), have a look here: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/discussion-elementary-os.60595/page-3#post-1707857

Good luck!

P.S. Try Mint Mate and add Grub Customizer for managing the booting sequence. PPA for it can be added to SW sources.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thanks for trying, but that is a very old thread. I have tried Linux starting with Suse maybe 20 years ago, and without exception the at least half dozen times I tried, I found I had wasted a lot of time, once again. That last Ubuntu, I had followed instruction in a complete book, but again I found that tehy forgot to "mention" something. This time that Linux WITHOUT asking will take over the boot order, and that it will take another book to fix that.
    Thanks to Simple, and an occasional Macrium re-install. my Win7 works just great. And that is how it is goona stay...

But, thank you for helping, I appreciate that...

6. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    You're very welcome!

As I explained elsewhere, things have changed, as in "improved significantly" for Linux in terms of availability and usability of the apps. Everything one has in Winblows/MacOS one now has in Linux, too!

And many apps work way better in Linux, I swear!

Drivers are better catered for, with new Linux kernels, too!

As for "taking over during boot time" - of course, if you install Linux as a second OS. But as I said: Grub Customizer - done in a jiffy, no sweat at all, whatever you want the PC to boot with - it's fine, quick and easy to set.

I would use a single Linux distro in an old PC. Elementary OS is smallish and capable enough... Things are really flying in there...

I found Elementary OS might have a bug, though, when dual booting and Winblows becomes unusable.

But really, Winblows is not needed any more - Linux is more than good enough nowadays! :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  8. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I understand what you are saying, but too many no longer countable attempts have always shown me the opposite. When in 2021 still a book appears that will not inform me about a massive boot problem like that, then it is exactly what I have experienced in two decades. In any "normal" computer OS I also expect that, as in windows, I am at least ASKED what I would want to boot! And what I would want as default! Or at least simple way to chnage that...
    But this equals the miserable experiences in Linux forums, where everyone who asks for help is considered an idiot. That unjustifiable arrogance is not just my experience, as many comments will confirm. So asking questions in a forum in the middle of an installation is no longer an option and I was happy to get that book... and then that also ends in desaster.

I am using my second SSD as the macrium clone for any complete Windows seven installation incl. all software that I use. That takes about 20 minutes and I can take my dog for a walk during the updates. No more Linux stress for me.... until 2023 :)

9. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    I understand. This info could be helpful to others with similar issues. Hence collating the info in the same thread.

Btw, I think you should try again - things have changed a lot since the last time... ;)

If you do, you might be pleasantly surprised... :)

10. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    I assume your using the mint forum ? try the one from Zorin, they are very friendly.

11. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I admit, I do not know zorin, but I must have used all of them at some time or another... If you check, you will find loads of comments about the combination of ignorance and arrogance in Linux forums.

12. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @ThomasMann I totally agree with you with me has already happened too! It is absurd the way "understoods" in free software treat new users ;):mad:

13. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Yes but things are getting better, as in easier with apps etc. Seriously! Try and see.... I was surprised, too...

14. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yep only for info I should install WindowsFX always (as first experience) online in the next few hours on dual boot with the W10 LTSC always offline; yet I believe that this time I must "loosen moorings with M$FT forever ;):D