Integrate7 script – automatically slipstream updates and drivers up to 11/2023!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Deleted member 190847, Jan 1, 2019.

1. #701 Deleted member 190847, Mar 23, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2023
    (OP)
  2. revetix

revetix MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2021
    #702 revetix, Mar 24, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
    Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster. I have a ThinkPad T15p Gen 1, and for the past few days I've been trying to install Windows 7. The whole process has been unusually complicated and I don't seem to be making any progress, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've tried all sorts of things to get it working, but always run into issues. I'm currently using Integrate7 with a 2011 Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 ISO. I've been following the instructions for UEFI class 3 systems, since there doesn't seem to be a CSM/legacy mode option in my BIOS. For the installer, I'm using Windows 10 v1903, and I've set RemoveLegacyVGA to 1. However, I'm not sure what display drivers to include and the setup keeps hanging on "Setup is updating registry settings" after rebooting. My PC has an i7-10750H and 2 GPUs - the integrated "Intel UHD Graphics" (VEN_8086, DEV_9BC4) and an NVIDIA GTX 1050 (VEN_10DE, DEV_1C91).

I tried to get the integrated graphics working first. After some searching, I found modified drivers for 10th generation Intel CPUs that supposedly work with Windows 7, but they only seem to be for "Intel UHD Graphics 630" (mine doesn't have a number). Looking through the thread, one user had a similar non-numbered GPU and kept getting BSoDs, suggesting that the modified drivers wouldn't work for me either. Still, I tried using those drivers and managed to complete the setup process, but it hung on "Setup is updating registry settings" after rebooting. Considering that Intel doesn't seem to offer official Windows 7 drivers for the integrated GPU, I gave up on it and attempted to get the NVIDIA drivers working.

Fortunately, NVIDIA provides drivers (474.11) for Windows 7. However, the installer contains multiple components (eg. the display drivers and HD Audio drivers) and I'm not sure which components to extract, or whether the display driver can function independently of those components. Furthermore, the installer's "Display.Driver" folder contains *.dl_, *.ex_ and *.sy_ files while the files in Windows' DriverStore folder have ordinary *.dll, *.exe and *.sys extensions. I know that some installers rename files after installation - are these files supposed to be copied as-is or should they be renamed to their proper extensions? I've tried both, but I still get stuck on "Setup is updating registry settings".

I've also considered the possibility that there isn't anything wrong with the modified Intel UHD Graphics drivers, and that the hanging on "Setup is updating registry settings" could be caused by something else. If that's the case, what could be the issue, and is there a fix? Or is Integrate7 simply not an option for me (and if so, which tool(s) should I use instead)?

Thanks in advance!

3. S. Lucas

S. Lucas MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2021
    Trying to build a UEFI version with Nvidia drivers. All went well until the script got to "Adding drivers to install.wim". Then I get this error (for all files in the display driver folder containing the .inf files):

"Error - An error occurred. The driver package could not be installed. For more information, check for log files in the <windir>\inf folder of the target image."

Any idea what went wrong? What should I be looking for in the log file?

4. It doesn't matter. If your laptop has 2 graphic cards (integrated and discrete), you have to slipstream drivers for the integrated one.
    In other words: you must have working Intel drivers, but you can ignore nVidia drivers. Because nVidia drivers can be installed later on a live system (no need to integrate them).

But you must be aware that installing Windows 7 on new machines is not easy (one-click) task and it is rather recommended for experienced users.

You surely have to:
    - include working graphic driver (probably modded, unsigned one),
    - remove legacy VGA driver (it can prevent your vendor specific graphic driver from installing)
    - include working disk controller driver (eg. NVMe, RAID, etc).
    - possibly replace acpi.sys with modded one (some people reported me that original acpi.sys does not worked with their machines and caused BSoD / freeze)

And you must know, that frozen installation does not necessarily means frozen installation. It could be BSoD under the hood. But you will not see it, because you have no working legacy display driver (VGA/VESA).
    So you can only check logs to discover what have happened.

5. egalerst

egalerst MDL Junior Member

Sep 3, 2017
  6. revetix

revetix MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2021
    #706 revetix, Mar 24, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
    Thanks for replying! The instructions didn't specify which drivers to include when there are 2 GPUs, so I assumed that either of them would work. Since that's not the case, I'll ignore the NVIDIA drivers for now.

To address the points you listed:
    - I'm currently using DeathBringer's modified 15.45.33.5164 Intel display drivers from the Win-Raid forum, these seem to match my GPU's VEN/DEV IDs.
    - I've set RemoveLegacyVGA=1 in Integrate7.cmd as mentioned in the instructions, this should have removed the legacy VGA driver. I've double-checked and there's no vga.sys in Windows\System32\drivers.
    - Disk drivers are present, and Windows seems to have no issue accessing the disk since a number of log files have been written.
    - Not sure about this one. NTLite says that my ISO is missing drivers for "ACPI Processor Aggregator" and "UCM-UCSI ACPI Device", but the rest of the ACPI devices don't show any issues. A quick search leads me to believe that these devices aren't essential, and since there aren't any other ACPI-related issues (and Windows is able to boot, see below) I don't think this the cause of the problem.

After some further testing, it looks like Windows manages to boot successfully, but for some reason the display stays stuck on "Starting Windows". The keyboard functions normally - the LED indicators for mute, caps lock, etc. are toggled on and off, so I assume Windows is actively receiving input and responding accordingly (in other words, not frozen/BSoD). Also, there aren't any minidumps being written to indicate a BSoD, and there are no unusual errors in the event logs. So I believe it's stuck at the initial setup screen waiting for input, but the display isn't working properly.

I'm guessing this is an issue with the display drivers? But the modded version I downloaded has my VEN/DEV ID listed in the .inf file, so I assumed it was compatible. I'll try to look for alternatives, but suggestions are also welcome.

7. If you are using modded drivers, try to remove digital signatures (all .cat files) before integrating.
    These signatures are incorrect after drivers modding and can cause issues during installation.

8. Xiaozou1314520

Xiaozou1314520 MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2023
    Hello, I am a newbie, I encountered a problem when using Integrate7_v5_10 version, when Addding drivers to install.wim, Integrate Windows6.1-KB2990941-v3-x64.msu prompted the package application Unattend.xml file error, the component I don't understand what causes this, the environment is Chinese, the integrated version is also Chinese, and every time the problem appears here. Hope to get help!
    2023-03-25 22:30:40, Error CSI 00000007 (F) HRESULT_FROM_WIN32(14098) #3882# from Windows::COM::CComponentStore::InternalTransact(...)[gle=0x80073712]
    2023-03-25 22:30:40, Error CSI 00000008 (F) HRESULT_FROM_WIN32(14098) #3880# from Windows::ServicingAPI::CCSITransaction::ICSITransaction2_Analyze(Flags = 1, riid = {f4d9decb-0250-4ad4-9500-85c7f2f281ec}, ppUnk = NULL, disp = 0)[gle=0x80073712]

9. S. Lucas

S. Lucas MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2021
    Thank you for your reply and the multiple links. They were very helpful.

I was able to expand the Nvidia drivers for a laptop I'm working on. The script integrated the expanded drivers without error this time, and the process completed successfully. However, the installation hung on the "Starting Windows" screen at the end indefinitely until the laptop went to sleep. This told me there were Windows processes running, but I just couldn't see them because the drivers weren't installed correctly.

I read a post by @wkeller where he suggests deleting the .cat files and editing the .inf files to remove the "CatalogFile =" line in each of them. After doing that, I rebuilt the iso but, again, installation hung at the end.

Do you mean that you kept the legacy drivers for a UEFI install, or a Legacy install?

10. Start some LiveCD (or connect your drive to another PC) and replace acpi.sys with modded one on your installation drive (what I have mentioned here).
    I know at least one people who finished installation this way, having the same issue as you.

11. You can safely remove entire hotfixes\NVMe folder and replace it with NVMe drivers backported from Win8, what I have already mentioned --> here.
    Of course, NVMe is only needed if your PC has NVMe controller.

12. jirdojimli

jirdojimli MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2022
    please add option to skip esu & wes update (or choose up until which one)? also choice to use custom fixes or not (no.6 on main post) & can you add support for all visual c++ redistributable (to the no.4 on main post). i only want to make a vanila but not so vanilla updated win 7 iso without other modification, too lazy to install update 1 by 1 after fresh install, planned to use it in kvm/vm instead of real hardware. if this request is too much or trivial then ignore it i guess.:)

13. egalerst

egalerst MDL Junior Member

Sep 3, 2017
    #713 egalerst, Mar 27, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
    Im lucky enough to still have CSM, so i "just" needed them for a normal operation and therefore installed them separately after the Windows installation

14. Godwyn

Godwyn MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2022
    HI, I recently installed the Win7Pro with Integrate 7 script yesterday. I checked Windows update and it has 2 security only updates from windows 7 embedded. Is it safe to install that update? Thankyou.

15. Check WHAT updates are proposed to install. Some so called "security" updates contains nothing but spies or other crap, so I omitted them.

16. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    If you're using Windows 7 at this point, you should forget about using Windows Update. You're using 3rd party update methods created by enthusiasts who bothered to include only what is necessary. Anything else offered through windows update(apart from maybe the usual monthly cumulative update) is just broken metadata updates that have been replaced long ago or are completely useless altogether.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. Godwyn

Godwyn MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2022
    #717 Godwyn, Mar 28, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
    Alright, noted. Thank youu all

18. You can use Windows Update to update Office, other Microsoft software, maybe drivers, but rather not Windows itself.
    Windows will be already updated after using Integrate7. And even if it will not, you may just download and install latest Cumulative Update. Windows Update is not necessary here to anything.

19. littlecat

littlecat MDL Novice

Mar 28, 2023
    Tried to installed on Z590 with 11700KF processor, the installer rebooted once and was at the last step, then got a message "Windows could not configure one or more system components". Any suggestion what to do to fix this? I'm using the latest script and stock ISO file. Thanks.

If you do not have faulty hardware, be sure that you have done clean install (deleted all partitions or cleaned partition table, before installation).