Microsoft 'will be enabling VBS on most new PCs over this next year' and that can tank performance

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by k3lt, Oct 2, 2021.

1. fire_rabbit

fire_rabbit MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2011
    Very Bad Scheme :cool:

2. Shonk

Shonk MDL Member

Oct 10, 2007
    A VM in a VM has problems no way

3. Devocalypse

Devocalypse MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2012
    Ever since I enabled hyper-V on Windows 10 it seems I have had VBS enabled:
    Get-CimInstance -ClassName Win32_DeviceGuard -Namespace root\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceGuard returns
    VirtualizationBasedSecurityStatus : 2

Upgrading to Windows 11 yesterday and nothing changed in any significant way.
    VMWare Workstation 16 runs on top of Hyper-V, bitches about side channel mitigations - but that's just a checkbox in the VM settings.
    Beyond that everything seems to run fine (on i7 8700K / 64 GB ram). Granted performance under Hyper-V is some 10-15% worse than it was under VMWare's own virtualizer back in Workstation 15 but that's mostly an optimization thing and could be ironed out eventually with future versions. I haven't experienced anything else game-breaking, like not being able to modify settings or crashes or whatever.

I don't use VirtualBox but I used to run bluestacks on Hyper-V as well which uses VirtualBox.

There's some in-depth info here:
    Code:
    Disable Virtualization-Based Security Without Disabling Hyper-V - Microsoft Q&A
    docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/245071/disable-virtualization-based-security-without-disb.html
    on how to actually disable it while keeping hyper-V in case you need it like I do.
    But it sounds like too much of a pain to go through so I'll pass and use it like it is.

4. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Judges ignore unreasonable terms that they find unreasonable all the time. Not saying they'll ignore this one, just sayin'.