1. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Oh my good God am I doing something wrong and I can't figure out where? because every time I use Toolkit V13 it always presents the results, see spoiler's; in this way if anyone can help me I will be eternally grateful thank you in advance...;):mad:

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. inTerActionVRI

inTerActionVRI MDL Expert

Sep 23, 2009
    I must have misunderstood your question... But here we go...

Were are the spoiler's?

In the attachments, I saw a nice decrease from the previous size to the final size of the iso. From 7Gb to 3.5Gb

Would it be this? This is normal for ESD compression and I know you know this.

So, since it's nothing like that, point exactly:
    What do you suspect is wrong?

3. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    #24203 Tiger-1, Dec 5, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
    @inTerActionVRI
    1-Hello good friend, well the problem is the way I'm using the script see if my procedure is correct (although I for some reason know that the way I'm understanding how to remove it is wrong and so far I haven't managed to get to a common denominator in this way my iso resulted in an unexpected size which in the "front" the problems begin to happen; see well by my research here on MDL, Youtube, CTT and several others the iso's of Windows 10 are around of ~2.6, 2.8GB but my iso's no matter how hard I try they are NEVER below 3.31GB and it's exactly the first version I made and also the last iso I made the process so I urgently need to solve this problem.

2-on the other hand I "discovered" another way to use Toolkit see my reasoning:

1-copy the Toolkit V13 files (with the new ToolkitHelper) to c:
    2-I follow all the procedures recommended by the MSMG (I believe that my problem is here: maybe the way I understood it is not the same as our Master MSMG
    3. I faithfully follow all the operations that the script asks for but... when I get to the stage of converting from wim to esd, I realize that once again my iso will have ~3,31.3, 3,5 GB and never less than
    4-of course that I can't be happy ok, so with your vast knowledge I believe you should solve my problem in minutes
    5-thank you in advance for your already known attention and goodwill towards the users of this section thanks in advance
    ** Just one last comment: this version I'm using I did the job and installed the system on 20.11.2022 and so far I had no problem with sfc / scannow, no blue screen, and no problem with drivers too :confused:;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. inTerActionVRI

Sep 23, 2009
    #24204 inTerActionVRI, Dec 5, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
    Remove Winre.wim from all install.wim indexes. It will decrease 500mb.

Remove WinPE, it's boot.wim index 1.

I know how to do this. But I don't know if index 2 needs to remain index 2.
    So to do this you need to create an empty index 1 in boot.wim.

To remove winre.wim Mount your image on the IMCK when asked if you want to mount winre, choose R to remove. Then do the procedure to close the image already converting it into ESD.

EDIT: @Tiger-1, I implemented removing Index 1 from Boot.wim on IMCK.
    I'll test it and let you know if it's OK.

I took care to implement a counter for the Boot.wim indices.
    Code:
    :GetImageCount

:: Get total no of Indexes present in the Image.
    for /F "tokens=2 delims=: " %%a in ('%DISM% /Get-ImageInfo /ImageFile:"%~1" ^| findstr.exe /I Index') do (
       if "%~1" equ "%BootWim%" set /A BootCount=%%a
       if "%~1" neq "%BootWim%" set /A ImageCount=%%a
    )

Replaced all mount paths from:
    %BootMount%\2
    to:
    %BootMount%\!BootCount!

Thus, as all boot.wim checking loops have been replaced from:
    for /L %%i (1, 1, 2) do (
    to:
    for /L %%i (1, 1, !BootCount!) do (

Thus, no functions that integrate or update Setup Boot will break.

5. longbeard

longbeard MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2021
    Where is the menu option to load registry files in toolkit v13 for windows 7, i have found the folder to put them in but no menu option.

6. inTerActionVRI

Sep 23, 2009
    #24206 inTerActionVRI, Dec 5, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
    It should be in Customize Menu.

EDIT:
    My mistake...
    Customize Menu is not prepared to work in W7, but you can modify it as I will put below so that you have 3 options available.
    Option 3 will work, the others I think I didn't use, because I didn't know what to put in the feature lists and be able to use. The lists available as a template are empty.

Code:
    :CustomizeMenu

cls
    echo.===============================================================================
    echo.                         MSMG ToolKit - Customize Menu
    echo.===============================================================================
    echo.
    :: Checking whether Source OS is selected
    if "%IsSourceselected%" equ "No" (
       echo.Source OS is not selected, please do select source from "Source" menu..
       echo.
       echo.
       pause
       goto :MainMenu
    )

:: Checking whether Image Registry is loaded
    if "%IsImageRegistryLoaded%" equ "Yes" (
       echo.Source OS Image Registry is loaded, please do unload it using Tools-^>Options..
       echo.
       echo.
       pause
    )

:: Checking whether the selected Source OS is a Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Edition
    if "%SelectedSourceOS%" equ "w7" (
       echo.This feature is not yet implemented...
       echo.
       echo.
       pause
    )

echo.  [1]   Enable Windows Features using Features List
    echo.  [2]   Disable Windows Features using Features List
    echo.  [3]   Import Custom Default Inbox Apps Association from XML File
    echo.  [4]   Export Default Inbox Apps Association to XML File
    echo.  [5]   Remove Default Inbox Apps Association XML
    echo.  [6]   Import Custom StartMenu Layout from XML File
    echo.  [7]   Import Custom Registry Setting from Registry File
    echo.  [8]   Apply Tweaks
    echo.
    echo.
    echo.
    echo.
    echo.
    echo.
    echo.
    echo.  [X]   Go Back
    echo.
    echo.
    choice /C:12345678X /N /M "Enter Your Choice : "
    if errorlevel 9 goto :MainMenu
    if errorlevel 8 goto :ApplyTweaksMenu
    if errorlevel 7 goto :ImportCustomRegistry
    if errorlevel 6 goto :ImportStartMenuLayout
    if errorlevel 5 goto :RemoveMetroAppsAssociation
    if errorlevel 4 goto :ExportMetroAppsAssociation
    if errorlevel 3 goto :ImportMetroAppsAssociation
    if errorlevel 2 goto :DisableFeatures
    if errorlevel 1 goto :EnableFeatures

to:
    Code:
    :CustomizeMenu

cls
    echo.                         MSMG ToolKit - Customize Menu
    echo.
    :: Checking whether Source OS is selected
    if "%IsSourceselected%" equ "No" (
       echo.Source OS is not selected, please do select source from "Source" menu..
       echo.
       echo.
       pause
    )

:: Checking whether Image Registry is loaded
    if "%IsImageRegistryLoaded%" equ "Yes" (
       echo.Source OS Image Registry is loaded, please do unload it using Tools-^>Options..
       echo.
       echo.
       pause
    )

:: Checking whether the selected Source OS is a Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Edition
    if "%SelectedSourceOS%" equ "w7" (
       echo.  [3]   Import Custom Registry Setting from Registry File
       echo.
       echo.
       echo.
       echo.
       echo.
       echo.
       echo.
       echo.  [X]   Go Back
       echo.
       echo.
       choice /C:123X /N /M "Enter Your Choice : "
       if errorlevel 4 goto :MainMenu
       if errorlevel 3 goto :ImportCustomRegistry
    )

if "%SelectedSourceOS%" neq "w7" (
       echo.  [3]   Import Custom Default Inbox Apps Association from XML File
       echo.  [4]   Export Default Inbox Apps Association to XML File
       echo.  [5]   Remove Default Inbox Apps Association XML
       echo.  [6]   Import Custom StartMenu Layout from XML File
       echo.  [7]   Import Custom Registry Setting from Registry File
       echo.  [8]   Apply Tweaks
       echo.
       echo.
       echo.
       echo.
       echo.
       echo.
       echo.
       echo.  [X]   Go Back
       echo.
       echo.
       choice /C:12345678X /N /M "Enter Your Choice : "
       if errorlevel 9 goto :MainMenu
       if errorlevel 8 goto :ApplyTweaksMenu
       if errorlevel 7 goto :ImportCustomRegistry
       if errorlevel 6 goto :ImportStartMenuLayout
       if errorlevel 5 goto :RemoveMetroAppsAssociation
       if errorlevel 4 goto :ExportMetroAppsAssociation
       if errorlevel 3 goto :ImportMetroAppsAssociation
    )

I had already done this some time ago.

7. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ok thank you very much for your attention with me and I should follow your instructions; and even more I think we should also ask our Master MSMG and maybe we've come to a common denominator :good3:

8. inTerActionVRI

Sep 23, 2009
    About winre.wim: These lite images are found with 2.8gb, certainly have it removed.

About the WinPE part, I'm checking here.

I give you the result.

9. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    I totally agree with you, I've also been scouring some "famous" websites that promise versions of Windows 10/11 with isos "fabulous" which is not true and more I also had the patience to check and record the size of iso's on Youtube among various websites spread on the network is absurd! what many websites promise and who can ensure the security of the system... the funniest is the fact that most of these iso's have their size in GB very much like hmmm...;)

10. inTerActionVRI

Sep 23, 2009
    No one.

They remove everything related to security in favor of performance. And the space occupation by the installation that caused a lot of slowness, it was in the era of the use of mechanical hds.
    Few people still use mechanical HD for system and games.

Mechanical HD, only used for storage. It's safer with regards to the possibility of data recovery (but that depends on the point of view).

11. GreenGremlin

GreenGremlin MDL Novice

Jul 4, 2010
    I have suddenly found that Toolkit fails to remove BioEnrollment, FaceRecognition and PinEnrollment components from LTSC 2019 and 2021.
    I use RemovePkgsList.txt template and although it says "completed successfully", these options are still present in Settings→Accounts→Sign-in options.
    It is broken in several latest versions of the Toolkit, but it worked in some older versions.

12. Feartamixg

Feartamixg MDL Addicted

May 15, 2016
    You're right. People think I am strange because I tell them I still use a hard drive in my PC. :D

I use an NVME M.2 drive for my OS, programs, games and for working with large files (such as MSMG ToolKit, which works with large ISO images). My hard drive is for personal files and software I wish to keep locally for easy access.

I do intend to eventually replace my 3.5" hard drive in the future. I suspect with a 2.5" hard drive, but possibly even an SSD if the price of decent SSD drives comes down enough.

13. inTerActionVRI

Sep 23, 2009
    SSD if you have trimm enabled and you accidentally delete something, full recovery of deleted files is almost impossible, especially on system partitions and constant work partitions. Generally, if the accident occurs, and you take the proper precautions of turning off the PC, preparing another PC with the appropriate recovery software and performing the Trimm deactivation, putting the HD in that PC for the recovery attempt, it still runs the risk of recovering corrupted data. And, there is no point in using SSD in RAID in case of accidental deletion.

That's why I rely on 3.5" HDDs in RAID for storing important things. In case of accidental deletion it's easier to recover, and in case of disk corruption just replace the damaged HD without further damage.

14. spriditis

spriditis MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2014
    #24214 spriditis, Dec 7, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
    Suggestion: add --threads=# to WimlibImagex line:

Code:
    setlocal EnableExtensions EnableDelayedExpansion

:: Decrease CPU usage (--threads=%_Threads%)
    set _Threads=2

Line  2770: "%WimlibImagex%" export "%InstallEsd%" 2 "%Temp%\DVD\sources\boot.wim" --boot --compress=LZX --threads=%_Threads%
    Line  2778: "%WimlibImagex%" export "%InstallEsd%" 3 "%Temp%\DVD\sources\boot.wim" --boot --compress=LZX --threads=%_Threads%
    Line  2786:    "%WimlibImagex%" export "%InstallEsd%" 4 "%Temp%\DVD\sources\install.wim" --compress=LZX --threads=%_Threads%
    Line  2797:        "%WimlibImagex%" export "%InstallEsd%" %%i "%Temp%\DVD\sources\install.wim" --compress=LZX --threads=%_Threads%
    Line  2937:    "%WimlibImagex%" export "%InstallEsd%" %%i "%InstallWim%" --compress=LZX --threads=%_Threads%
    Line 20065:    "%WimlibImagex%" optimize "%BootWim%" --threads=%_Threads%
    Line 20082:    "%WimlibImagex%" optimize "%InstallMount%\%DefaultIndexNo%\%WinReWim%" --threads=%_Threads%
    Line 20117:        "%WimlibImagex%" export "%InstallWim%" %%i "%Temp%\rebuild.wim" --compress=LZX --threads=%_Threads%
    Line 20126:    "%WimlibImagex%" optimize "%InstallWim%" --threads=%_Threads%
    Line 21135:        "%WimlibImagex%" export "%InstallWim%" %%i "%DVD%\sources\%WimImageFileName%" --compress=LZX --threads=%_Threads%
    Line 21141:        "%WimlibImagex%" export "%InstallWim%" %%i "%InstallWim%" --compress=LZX --threads=%_Threads%
    Line 21219:    "%WimlibImagex%" export "%InstallWim%" %%i "%InstallEsd%" --compress=LZMS --solid --threads=%_Threads%
    Line 22796: "%WimlibImagex%" optimize "%InstallWim%" --threads=%_Threads%
    ~Only issue i forsee - wimlib requires value to be 'non-negative number' (can't use "--threads=autodetect" or empty "--threads="), but low default value might 'annoy' owners of high core CPUs. Could be solved with conditional + extra line when set..

15. inTerActionVRI

Sep 23, 2009
    #24215 inTerActionVRI, Dec 7, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
    This would be even better, if we ask a question for the user to decide according to his machine, how many threads people wants to use.

Code:
    set /A HostProcessorThreadsCount=0
    for /F "tokens=* delims= " %%p in ('reg.exe query "HKLM\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor" /s /v "ProcessorNameString" 2^>nul ^| findstr.exe /I "REG_SZ"') do (set /A HostProcessorThreadsCount+=1)

if "%_Threads%" equ "" (
        set /P "_Threads=Processor Threads amount for ESD compression ['1'... '%HostProcessorThreadsCount%', 'D'efault] : "
        set /A _Threads=!_Threads!
        if "!_Threads:~,1!" equ "-" set _Threads=
        if !_Threads! equ 0 set _Threads=
        if !_Threads! geq %HostProcessorThreadsCount% set _Threads=
    )

Maybe need to use:
    Edit: I have done the tests and it need to be used.
    Code:
    if "!_Threads!" equ "" "%WimlibImagex%" export "%InstallWim%" all "%InstallEsd%" --compress=LZMS:100 --solid
    if "!_Threads!" neq "" "%WimlibImagex%" export "%InstallWim%" all "%InstallEsd%" --compress=LZMS:100 --solid --threads=!_Threads!

We can also do something no questions asked...
    Code:
        if %HostProcessorThreadsCount% leq 4 set /A _Threads=1
        if %HostProcessorThreadsCount% gtr 4 if %HostProcessorThreadsCount% leq 6 set /A _Threads=%HostProcessorThreadsCount%-2
        if %HostProcessorThreadsCount% gtr 6 if %HostProcessorThreadsCount% leq 8 set /A _Threads=%HostProcessorThreadsCount%-3
        if %HostProcessorThreadsCount% gtr 8 set /A _Threads=%HostProcessorThreadsCount%-4

Note: This method to obtain the total amount of processors (core + logical), lacks testing on other systems (Here tested on w10 19044 x64).

In optimization commands this will only work with visible benefit if the recompression argument is added. That is, recompression for wim images is not necessary and generates a delay as if we were converting to solid format (ESD).

Note: the services in wim images (export and optimization), even using the total number of threads, do not use 100% of the processing.

So, it is only valid, as there is benefit, when converting install.wim to install.esd. Thus, you convert without stopping everything.

EDIT: @spriditis, I've finished the implementation and I'm in the middle of testing. From 8 threads I left 5 threads dedicated to the conversion. Usage of the notebook was great in the middle of converting to ESD. Before I couldn't type a message here in the forum during the conversion.
    And with 5 threads it did it at the same speed as if it were all enabled and everything was crashing, kkkk
    Approved! Much more beneficial. Thanks for the tip!

16. NathanIT

NathanIT MDL Novice

Jun 15, 2021
    how to add .reg file to boot.wim file to bypass TPM Win 11 when using MSMG Toolkit ??? there are no instructions

17. inTerActionVRI

Sep 23, 2009
    This is a ready-made tweak.
    [4] Customize
    [8] Apply Tweaks
    [G] Disable Windows 11 Installer Hardware Check

18. zbigniew59

zbigniew59 MDL Senior Member

May 14, 2016
    #24218 zbigniew59, Dec 8, 2022
    Please, please pay attention.

This topic turned into a topic of highly developed professionals.!

This is no longer for users - who at least a little understand what's going on.
    ORDINARY - they don't understand anything anymore.
    NO ONE - does not check, specifically the author - that the latest development of posts is the basis for analysis between several users?
    And that - ORDINARY - users are no longer interested in this script?
    Just because of that? - Because they don't understand anything from these discussions anymore?
    I used this script myself - about 2 years ago.
    Now - I'M AFRAID - opens this topic - because I don't understand anything!

Sorry for my english - I use google translate.

19. zbigniew59

May 14, 2016
    #24219 zbigniew59, Dec 8, 2022
    inTerActionVRI - BARDZO CIĘ WDZIĘCZAM - ale twoje dyskusje tak zaśmiecają temat - że już nic tu nie można znaleźć.
    Dodałeś TWÓJ temat do tego tematu - i dyskusje o TWOIM skrypcie w TYM temacie - a teraz nic nie możesz znaleźć! - I NIC NIE ROZUMIESZ - temat ma 1200! strony.
    Jeśli tak - przenieś te dyskusje do swojego tematu.
    TEN TEMAT - teraz to katastrofa.

20. zbigniew59

May 14, 2016
    It was supposed to be - relatively - simple script - certainly the author of the topic thought so.
    NOW - this is one of the most complicated - TOPICS - on this forum.
    Anyone else interested in this topic? - apart from highly specialized professionals?