1. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    I am too old.

2. FLCL

FLCL MDL Junior Member

Dec 20, 2013
    I hope it's not because of illness.
    No one is too old to learn or to give knodwledge to others :cheers: :Albert:.

3. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    NOPE dude you are essential in this thread since when MSMG start with Toolkit we need your knowledge trust me ;):worthy:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    The fact that you made your already horrible way of removing components even worse by adding the actual deletion of service keys from ControlSet001 is mind-boggling.

Put Windows Server on a VM, and audit update/servicing logs from another VM running a build made with your ToolKit and be amazed at the corruption flags it returns.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. biatche

biatche MDL Addicted

Nov 14, 2009
    Who are you referring to? Mind explaining what exactly you are talking about? Please share.

6. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    I've posted about this numerous amounts of times in this thread.

Many component packages also have an XML file associated with them, that is also a hidden and protected file. Within that XML the permanency value of the component package is defined. Those with a permanency value of "Removable" you are able to remove via DISM, the control panel, etc. Those with a permanency value of "Permanent," are unable to be removed unless you "force" remove them. When you remove a component package that has a permanency value of "Permanent," your component store issues a "STATUS_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT" flag, which is considered a critical error. The end-user is not made aware of such a flag; however, it's this reason why after some component package removals the end-user is no longer able to update their OS nor service it with SFC /ScanNow, RestoreHealth, etc. The only recourse is a reinstall, as you cannot just reinstall component packages.

The best way to remove them is to prevent them from installing to begin with. They are all provisioning packages, just like the Provisioning Application Packages one can remove. You aren't actually deleting App Packages - you're removing their provisioning for installation. You can do the same with component packages, as when Windows is installing, it looks in the HKLM\SOFTWARE hive under the InboxApplications subkey. Within that subkey are child-keys each representing component packages to be staged for installation. By removing those keys - which mind you are not protected keys (i.e. require no system-level elevation to remove them) - Windows does not provision those and they are not installed onto the system; however, their directories remain on the system itself and by keeping the symbolic links these packages have across the running system, no component store corruption is ever flagged since there were no component packages actually removed because they were never installed in the first place.

The 2nd way to remove them is by setting their permanency value to "Removable" from "Permanent," and then removing the packages with DISM, but even so I cannot say for certain whether that will not cause potential issues at a later date

And to then actually delete the service keys associated with these components from ControlSet001 - which acts as a pointer for the CurrentControlSet - is an extremely callous way to try to prevent these services from running despite the component being removed. To disable those you can simply created an OOBE.cmd script that DISABLES them from the proper CurrentControlSet during the OOBE setup pass.

7. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    #5587 Supern00b, Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    These would be the reg keys:

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\AppxAllUserStore\InboxApplications
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\AppxAllUserStore\Staged
    In that case, it applies only to "modern" apps.
    There is no such key or procedure for OneDrive or Defender, they in fact will cause SXS store corruption.
    In other words, even if following the correct procedure as outlined by the "assigning a lower sense of responsibility" guy above, there will still be issues as not all are AppX.

Cheers.

8. daveo76

daveo76 MDL Expert

Nov 9, 2009
    How do I integrate .reg file in this toolkit? There no instructions on how to do it and no one mentioned about it on here

9. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
  10. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
  11. Lucas Rey

Lucas Rey MDL Member

Feb 16, 2010
    DAMN! You're right, something was wrong with the ISO. I download it again using MediaCreationTool, and now it works perfect!!
    THank you to point me to the solution! ;)

12. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    you are welcome :D

13. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    If the component is no longer present whats the problem of removing the service associated with it?
    Dism does this for most packages but for some like Xbox and Biometric Services it does not but I had no problem removing them.

But I agree with your other posts where removal should be done in ControlSet001 when in offline service in place of CurrentControlSet.
    I do not know if in the new versions MSMG corrected this.

14. sixor

sixor MDL Novice

Feb 2, 2013
    hi, i know there is a problem integrating update 192

msmg does not show the right version after integration. but does it matter?

yes, i read the post from back there about a dism problem, but still did not understand

it was integrated fine or not?

15. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    There is no problem, dism only shows the base buiild nr.

16. zero cool root

zero cool root MDL Senior Member

Jun 17, 2011
    #5597 zero cool root, Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Hi MSMG,
    Firstly, thank you so much by great job with MSMG Toolkit..!!
    Well, how I change Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016 Eval to Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016 Full..??
    Thank you so much..!!

17. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Afaik, not possible.

18. zero cool root

zero cool root MDL Senior Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Sorry. Change Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016 Eval to Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016 Full

19. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Same answer :)

You can go from full 2016 LTSB to normal enterprise but, afaik, not from EVAL.