MSMG ToolKit

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by MSMG, Nov 21, 2013.

1. RaiyvaN

RaiyvaN MDL Junior Member

Sep 23, 2009
    @MSMG,
    Error 87 when we select a specific range, in this case from 3 to 4 (3-4). I hadn't used that function yet. Only used "*".
    Dism Log attached.

Image : Install.wim
    Image Indexes No : 1-5
    Image Architecture : x86
    Image Version : 10.0.18362
    Image Service Pack Build : 959

===============================================================================
    MSMG ToolKit - Select Source from <DVD> folder

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ####Selecting Source Images####################################################

Reading Image Information...

| Index | Arch | Name
    | 1 | x86 | Windows 10 Home
    | 2 | x86 | Windows 10 Education
    | 3 | x86 | Windows 10 Pro
    | 4 | x86 | Windows 10 Pro Education
    | 5 | x86 | Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Enter the Image Index's # [Range : 1-5, * - All] : 3-4

Do you want to mount Windows Setup Boot Image ? ['Y'es/'N'o] : N

Do you want to mount Windows Recovery Image ? ['Y'es/'N'o] : N

####Source Image Information###################################################

Image : Install.wim
    Image Index No : 3-4
    Image Name : ~1
    Image Description : ~1
    Image Architecture :
    Image Version : 10.0.20175.1000
    Image Service Pack Build : ~1
    Image Service Pack Level : ~1
    Image Build : .201
    Image Edition :
    Image Flag :
    Image Installation Type : ~1
    Image Default Language : ~1,-10

####Mounting Source Images#####################################################

Mounting [Install.wim, Index : 3-4] Image at <\Mount\Install>...

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.20175.1000

Error: 87

An error occurred while processing the command.
    Ensure that the command-line arguments are valid. For more information, review the log file.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\ToolKit\Logs\Dism.txt

####Finished Selecting & Mounting Source Images################################

MSMG ToolKit - Discard Changes & Unmount Source Images

####Starting Discarding Changes & Un-Mounting Source Images####################

Un-Mounting Source [Install.wim, Index : 3-4] Image...

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.20175.1000

Error: 50

DISM failed. No operation was performed.
    For more information, review the log file.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\ToolKit\Logs\Dism.txt

####Finished Discarding Changes & Un-Mounting Source Images####################

Attached Files:

2. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    Will check with that image.

3. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    The Toolkit uses the standard DISM tool to perform image operations and for driver integration also it uses the same tool, Adding too many drivers can increase the image size.

4. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    Actually The Toolkit only works with single or All Indexes, function for selective range is not added yet.

5. tefor

tefor MDL Member

Apr 5, 2017
    Hi MSMG
    I think pending.xml is not caused by enablement package and Edge browser for 19041/19042
    I used clean 19041.1 , integrated all updates except enablement package and removed all components using package list
    and I chose "Cleanup Source Images" from MSMG toolkit Menu (6)
    It gave me "Pending.xml" error again
    Thanks

6. usrcero

usrcero MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2016
    What's the method of installing updates on stripped down windows 10?

7. Feartamixg

Feartamixg MDL Senior Member

May 15, 2016
    All the answers you need are in the readme file provided with the ToolKit. It is worth the small amount of time needed to become familiar with the basics.

If you look at my past posts, you can find examples of methods that you can customise to suit your needs. These (hopefully) follow the instructions given by the readme file.

8. RaiyvaN

RaiyvaN MDL Junior Member

Sep 23, 2009
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/msmg-toolkit.50572/page-793#post-1606110

Sent an 2020-07-31 updated file in the post above.

Merged with new Toolkit 10.2

Some improvments:

When you selected any option to remove all components and decided to return by answering "no" for some reason. You would always return to the Main Menu. In the Custom Toolkit when you answer "no" you are returned to the menu you were in.

In previous Custom Toolkits I couldn't see a way to maintain the Original "Apply Tweaks Menu" without increasing the code size.

But thanks to the changes that @MSMG made in the new version, it opened my eyes and I managed to put both menus. The original "Apply Tweaks Menu" back and the "Custom Apply Tweaks Menu".

The problem was that when deciding to apply a tweak individually, fall into the system of applying all tweaks by answering questions. But now this is fixed.

There was an error with an extra quote in the Edge removal lines, for some Custom Removal to make Specific Editions. First I thought about correcting it just by removing the extra quote. But I changed my mind and simply put it to remove the Edge directly on the command line to remove multiple components at once.

I decided to make some changes mainly in the "Gamer Edition" (more components removed that can be added through the Windows Store), so I made changes in the other "Custom Editions" as well. But not in the "Accessibility Edition".

I put some pauses in the custom integration steps "Integrate Custom Selection 8 7 6 5" so that you can see what happens.

Fixed a registry error in my custom tweaks and added suggestions for use in the Windows Store, automatic installations in silent mode disabled. Autodownload - Update for installed apps enabled

Code:
           if "%Component%" equ "PrivacyComponents" (
               %ToolKitHelper% "%InstallMount%\%%i" AssignedAccess;CEIP_SQM;FaceRecognition;KernelDebugging;LocationService;PicturePassword;PinEnrollment;UnifiedTelemetryClient;WiFiNetworkManager;WindowsInsiderHub
               if "%ImageBuild%" equ "17763" %ToolKitHelper% "%InstallMount%\%%i" WindowsErrorReporting
               if "%ImageBuild%" geq "18362" if "%ImageBuild%" leq "18363" %ToolKitHelper% "%InstallMount%\%%i" WindowsErrorReporting
               if "%ImageBuild%" equ "19041" %ToolKitHelper% "%InstallMount%\%%i" WindowsErrorReporting
               if "%ImageBuild%" equ "19042" %ToolKitHelper% "%InstallMount%\%%i" WindowsErrorReporting
           )
    )else(
           if "%Component%" equ "PrivacyComponents" (
               %ToolKitHelper% "%InstallMount%" AssignedAccess;CEIP_SQM;FaceRecognition;KernelDebugging;LocationService;PicturePassword;PinEnrollment;UnifiedTelemetryClient;WiFiNetworkManager;WindowsInsiderHub
               if "%ImageBuild%" equ "17763" %ToolKitHelper% "%InstallMount%" WindowsErrorReporting
               if "%ImageBuild%" geq "18362" if "%ImageBuild%" leq "18363" %ToolKitHelper% "%InstallMount%" WindowsErrorReporting
               if "%ImageBuild%" equ "19041" %ToolKitHelper% "%InstallMount%" WindowsErrorReporting
               if "%ImageBuild%" equ "19042" %ToolKitHelper% "%InstallMount%" WindowsErrorReporting
           )
    )

Windows Error Reporting is needed for OOBE for v1903 / v1909 OS.
    This component has been reinserted and will pass again, according to specific conditions, to be automatically removed by the "Editions Custom Selection Removal Script" options available in CustomToolkit. Conditions prevent removal on versions v1903 / v1909.

Only for:
    Remove All Privacy Components
    Accessibility Edition
    Lite Edition
    Xtreme Lite Edition
    Content Delivery Manager is needed for OOBE for v1809 / v1903 / v1909 / v2004 / v2009 OS.
    For this Component, if you want, just access the "Remove System Components Menu" to remove "Content Delivery Manager".

I also made available a model of my AutoUnattend *.xml answer file with a ReadMe for those who want to play a little.

Reported a problem in the question "Do you want to Enable Fraunhofer MP3 Professional Codec ? ['Y'es/'N'o] :" mentioned in the post "https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/msmg-toolkit.50572/page-796#post-1607819" by friend @roedel.

Problem solved.

As @MSMG said:
    Content Delivery Manager is needed for OOBE for v1809 / v1903 / v1909 / v2004 / v2009 OS.
    Windows Error Reporting is needed for OOBE for v1903 / v1909 OS.

These components will no longer be automatically removed by the "Editions Custom Selection Removal Script" options available in CustomToolkit.

If you want, just access the "Remove Privacy Components Menu" to remove "Windows Error Reporting" and "Remove System Components Menu" to remove "Content Delivery Manager".

When I have an idea to edit the code I add commented lines as if they were reminders or a list of what to do.
    So, I removed some obsolete lines left behind.

Also, I created a way to use the customized version and the original version of the Toolkit, without having to replace the original files.

When you run Start.cmd, the Original Toolkit.cmd starts.
    When you run CustomStart.cmd, the CustomToolkit.cmd starts.

In this file I also placed the original files, for those who had previously replaced them.

Fixed the bug in the question about choosing the StorageDrive, when you answer "No". I kept asking for the letter and did not go to the Main Menu.

Correcting the problem of saving the iso that I had set for my drive "I:", I decided to add an option to keep it as is or set another one (Optional for those who need to save their isos on some larger drive). Very simple. There is a moment when opening the toolkit that asks you to check <ENTER>. Well select Y or N. "N" will keep the ISO folder where it has always been - inside the Toolkit folder. Than select your drive.

Fix Cortana App was not removed in 2004 H1 (only in the custom removal options I made available).

In that apply tweaks menu by answering questions system, I added a question to the end to apply the integration of your Registry (*.reg) files.

Removed some "pause" commands from the end of some processes in the Menus (Integrate Windows Features Menu - Integrate Windows Custom Features Menu - Remove Menu (when we select some of the Remove All Components) - Customize Menu) and replaced them with a question "Do you want to continue in that menu?"

The part with menu options with custom component removal scripts has been retained.

A huge change has made to apply Tweaks by answering Y (yes) or N (no) questions.

The focus is on Menu 4 -> 2 and feel free to test.
    @mhussain , the part I promised is ready.
    follow 4, 2, A for Accessibility Edition
    at the end of the first part, you will be asked if you want to keep the Mixed Reality Pack, then ask if you want to keep the components for game functionality.
    just select Y or N.
    Back, in my menu is with the letter Q.

In the initial menu, Exit, I also changed to the letter Q.

Apply Custom Tweaks Menu is added. My Custom Tweaks List Available to Apply.

Thnks!

9. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    Enabling .NET 3.5 also causes pending operations.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. simple-hormiga

simple-hormiga MDL Novice

Apr 18, 2012
    I know, but in my case I have not enabled it, I always do it on the first boot with SetupComplete.cmd, so I asked if I was doing something wrong

11. Dusktilldawn

Dusktilldawn MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2009
    #16071 Dusktilldawn, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Hello friends & Master of toolkit
    on Windows 8.1 x64 integration:
    Although before the Net 3.5 integration,
    Cleanup op still getting ``Cannot Perform Image Component Cleanup when Pending.xml is present``...error

BTW one quick question:
    what about if we skip the cleanup op then directly pick "apply" option?
    is "cleanup" op in mandatory?
    or just related wıth image size?
    thanks in advance..

upload_2020-8-1_10-15-55.png

Attached Files:

12. usrcero

usrcero MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2016
    Readme details about updates integration. I can't see your previous posts.
    I looked at ntlite forums and they suggest integrating updates and using the iso to update windows 10 keeping your files.
    I think their host refresh method does something similar. I read somewhere that updating with DISM is better since it doesn't add removed components, I'm not sure though.

13. Yanta

Yanta MDL Member

May 21, 2017
    With 1809 support ending November this year looks like those still on it (if not already been forced on to 2004), will have to upgrade or face the risks. I've avoided the upgrade because everything but Windows apps gets restored by a CU. I've spent some time working with Linux, but it doesn't run everything I need and Wine is not that great from my limited experience. I think it's fairly safe to say now (it's been almost 18 months since 1903 came out), there will never be a solution to "keep removed components removed", so it's going to be a process of disabling stuff, which in many cases doesn't actually completely disable stuff.

With that in mind does anyone know any of the following;

1. Registry and group policy changes between 1809 and 1909. Microsoft used to publish a spreadsheet for this but from what I can tell, 1809 was the last time. There are some sites that talk about specific group policy additions, but I've not been able to find anything comprehensive. I'm particularly interested in registry settings. I have over 500 registry tweaks I do now. Don't want to make a change that breaks Windows.

2. I vaguely recall seeing something about end of life registry settings or some such for keeping components off the system. I don't recall where I saw it and I'm damned if I can find it again. Anyone heard of anything like that?

3. Can everything I want to disable, which is pretty much everything, be disabled via the toolkit? Looking through the release notes and readme.txt it looks as if a couple of components can be disabled but most cannot be disabled via the toolkit. Am I reading that correctly? I don't know how many things the toolkit removes, but if there are 100, I'm keeping around 5%.

4. Cortana, store and Defender seem to be three of the most resilient components and I don't want any of them anywhere near my systems. Perhaps I can remove them with the toolkit, and script something that I run after installing a CU to re-re-remove those components? But from memory, I think MSMG has said some things can't be accomplished with DISM? @MSMG can you confirm that. Or is it that DISM just doesn't remove all of a component?

Sorry for the long post. No disrespect intended to anyone.

14. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    Yes in your case it was the enablement package (Edge Chromium) I was referring to the case of tefor that used clean 19041.1 and did not integrate the enablement package.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    In Windows 7/8.1 several updates cause pending operations. Cleanup/resetbase is not mandatory and serves to reduce the size of the image by removing superseded files and updates. There is no side effect of not doing so and you can ignore it although the image size will be significantly larger. The ideal is to boot the image in audit mode and do the cleanup/resetbase then do sysprep and capture the image again to an install.wim file.

16. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    At least System Apps can be made completely inactive so you will have the same effect as removing them with the difference that they are still present in the SystemApps folder and the updates will not "restore" them. As for the other components I don't know if it is possible to disable them entirely since I continue to use versions 1809 and 1607.

So in your case I think it's worth testing this:
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...1803-1903-19h2-1909-20h1-and-ltsc-2019.80038/

Although I am not a fan of this script because in addition to its use having become very complex it adds several reg tweaks by default so things like autorun for example are disabled without asking the user. So if you are going to use this you will have to edit the script for your need and even this has become super complex.

17. kronflux

kronflux MDL Member

May 11, 2011