Multi-OEM/Retail Project {MRP} - Mk3

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by mxman2k, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    US region selection;):D

Wait, the 13th? :D:D It was an install from the future:D

2. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    :D:D you got a time machine instead of a Virtual Machine :D:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AsaadSoft

AsaadSoft MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2015
    #4205 AsaadSoft, Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    VirtualBox_Win10_12_11_2018_07_28_26.png

also the icon for PC settings i think is not convenient
    it looks strange and old among other icons

4. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #4206 mxman2k, Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    (OP)
    The icons for the commands are the ones the system uses, i have not changed them. Blame m$ for not updating the icons. :p

Shell32.dll,-326 is the one recommended to use which i have. Trying to use the one for 'ms-settings:home' failed to work which technically is the icon to look for, but as it a App it does not pull the icon from it. I will see if i can find one within shell32 etc, if not then it may be a case of making another .ico file.

To be honest i think the reason the icon is that one is because of the transition from Control Panel items to the Settings App, once that is completed it may have its own new icon within W10.

Regarding OneDrive, on all the installs we have done, and there was a lot of them in testing that @Enthousiast and myself done, OneDrive never installed when using that option.

If you have edited the OS either by DISM/other tools or the Startmenu layout XML, it may of upset the commands.

All that is done is to remove the 'Run' entries which prevents the OneDrive setup from being processed:
    Code:
     REG delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" /v "OneDriveSetup" /f >NUL 2>&1
     REG delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" /v "OneDrive" /f >NUL 2>&1
    Then once the OS has created the Username/HKCU registry hive during oobe the corresponding HKCU reg entries are removed.

The only times it could fail would be if:
    - M$ have changed the OneDrive's exe name.
    - They are using other methods to force install it.
    - If Office is pre-installed during oobe/setup stage, which can also contain OneDrive setup and that is within Office's installation configuration and nothing to do with MRP.
    - Edited the WIM, Start Menu layout or other system files.

*EDIT*
    Have now found the Settings icon, using a IconEditor program i bought, it scanned every file on my PC which took ages. :p
    pc-settings-icon.jpg
    There is a black version but that looked out of place in the Context Menu so went with the blue one as most of the others have a blue theme.

This icon will be in the next MRP's.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. AsaadSoft

AsaadSoft MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2015
    I used MSMG Toolkit v8.9
    Removed all Default Metro Apps except Store & Connect App
    & Removed Windows Components:
    People Experience Host - Skype ORTC - Take Test App - Microsoft Xbox
    HomeGroup - Unified Telemetry - Customer Experience Improvement Program

what does this have to do with the MRP, it should work after the windows setup completed ??

lol, it doesn't open, it just have that shortcut there in the start menu, but nothing happen when i click it
    so maybe yes it didn't get installed, it's just a stupid schortcut,
    i never have this before but i was using MSMG toolkit to remove onedrive package from the source, only now it still doesn't have that option yet for RS5

6. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    How the MSMG Toolkit removes the OneDrive files is something i do not know how it is done, maybe it is in the methods used that somehow the shortcut appears.

7. AsaadSoft

AsaadSoft MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2015
    no MSMG doesn't support removing OneDrive yet on RS5 with the version 8.9 that I have used
    so i used the MRP to prevent OneDrive from installing, so MRP is the one causing the shortcut to appear
    maybe there are some changes in RS5 which cause that

8. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    If OneDrive is being prevented from installing then how can the shortcut be made?

Obviously something is making the shortcut appear and i can assure you it is not MRP, nothing is touched in the Startmenu or its XML - which controls what is shown on that menu listing.

Also as you used another program to edit the WIM/image then i cannot offer any support for that.

In a another scenario, say you bought a car, you have only one key (which works), so then you get a spare key cut from a local key cutting shop and it not work, do you complain to the car maker because the spare key you had cut not work on the car?

How can i fix something that is nothing to do with this project?

9. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    AFAIK, OneDriveSetup have been always in HKCU branch (derived from Default NTUSER.DAT), not HKLM

Code:
    reg delete HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /v OneDriveSetup /f

10. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    I do both to make sure ;)

One during oobe (no HKCU available at that stage) then once it has then i do the HKCU ...\RUN ones too.

Never failed before, unless m$ sneaking in another way...

11. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #4215 mxman2k, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    (OP)
    On the next MRP (in progress)...

[REM1D] Prevent One Drive from installing and remove redundant shortcut from the Windows Start Menu.

or if you used another program to remove it via the WIM image... ( if it removes the shortcut too - some don't! )

[REM1D] Prevent One Drive from installing, redundant shortcut not present on the Windows Start Menu.

Triple way to make sure it not shown! :p

12. AsaadSoft

AsaadSoft MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2015
    in the previous install i used the official source without any editing, just added $oem$ so all apps were there as you can see in this post
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...l-project-mrp-mk3.71555/page-202#post-1470487

but the screenshot doesn't show if onedrive is listed or not, and i don't remember checking it either
    i will try another time again with only $oem$ and no editing of the source and will see, if the problem presists it means it was becuz of MRP otherwise it's from MSMG
    but first i have to download the new 17663.107 version and then will do the test with it

13. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #4217 mxman2k, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    (OP)
    The problem wasn't because of MRP or MSMG Toolkit, it was purely due to the shortcut still left in the Start Menu area as the OS is preset with OneDrive to be installed.

The Start Menu layout would still have that shortcut regardless unless it is removed manually or via the scripts/programs that removed the related files/links etc for OneDrive.

Either way that shortcut will be removed if it is present now in MRP 104 onward, only when the option to prevent OneDrive installing is used.

Have tested the tweak done and W10 no longer shows the offending OneDrive line in the Start Menu if the option is used. :)

14. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009