Multi-OEM/Retail Project {MRP} - Mk3

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by mxman2k, Oct 15, 2016.

1. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Believe me they, (Servers and including M$ in general), are weird at the best of times. :p

It took some working out how to get the theme stuff to work on them, it may not be perfect, but it does allow a user to have branding of some sort on Servers if they wish, without a lot of manual DISM work or using the 'add features' bits.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. BALTAGY

BALTAGY MDL Guide Dog

Dec 23, 2014
    They finally fixed the background app bug in Feb update, now notifications is working while background app turned off

Now it's build 17763.316

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    I'm working on MRP 109.1.IT3 at this moment so will adjust the auto disable of the background apps option to be allowed again only if the UBR number is 316 or above as below that the bug is still present until the OS is updated to latest 316+ CU. :)

4. Dubioza Kolektiv

Dubioza Kolektiv MDL Addicted

Dec 27, 2012
  5. BALTAGY

BALTAGY MDL Guide Dog

Dec 23, 2014
  6. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    %Temp% is the usual temporary location as denoted by the environmental variable which can be seen by a cmd prompt and typing 'SET Temp'.

I use TEMP so that the drive is not cluttered with any left over files etc, plus it is easier to tidy up. :D

if you wish to exclude a location then enter your code within OOBE.cmd after the @ Echo off line and before decompile ( :MRPINSTALL ) section.

Oobe.cmd is ran BEFORE any user is created. So no registry references to HKCU will work as they not exist at that time.

SetupComplete.cmd is ran AFTER the username has been created and the HKCU hive is created.

I altered the way WinTel.cmd is called so that future edits that involve HKCU can be added as before when it was run via oobe.cmd they would not work as the user's hive was not created.

7. BALTAGY

BALTAGY MDL Guide Dog

Dec 23, 2014
    I mean shouldn't it show the full location to user temp folder instead of %temp% ?

8. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    no as i use the %temp% variable which will auto expand to the correct location when it is ran via a script or command. ;)

9. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Also it is wiser to use the %temp% variable to point to the current 'temporary' location as the user could change where it is pointed to such as 'D:\Temp' etc to save space or writes to a SSD, my temp and TMP locations are set to 'D:\SysTemp' but that just my personal preference.

Plus if the system drive is not C: then if you preset your script's location to say 'C:\Temp' then it could fail, using the environmental variable saves that hassle.

10. BALTAGY

BALTAGY MDL Guide Dog

Dec 23, 2014
    I asked because i'm not sure if Windows Security will understand %Temp%

I thought the command should convert %Temp% to the long location and add the long location to Windows Security

11. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    it does expand. well it does in my scripts....

example:
    Code:
    REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Exclusions\Paths" /v "%Temp%\whateverfoldertoexclude" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    remember the defender registry entries may be locked under windows 10!

12. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #4772 mxman2k, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    (OP)
    You will need to unlock the defender registry entries so that you can add your exclusions, using %temp% does indeed auto expand to the right location temp is pointing to - providing you are using REG ADD .... in a script/pshell.

Unlock:

"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Exclusions"

and maybe also:

"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Exclusions\Paths"

So that you can add your exclusions. :)

I personally use SetACL but there area other tools that can unlock the registry areas, just be careful in the HK_Classes_Root area or you can really screw up the OS!

13. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    AFAIK, setupcomplete.cmd runs under SYSTEM account, even though it runs after user account is created
    so its %temp% expand to C:\Windows\Temp

14. BALTAGY

BALTAGY MDL Guide Dog

Dec 23, 2014
    That's why i spent all day trying and failed lol

15. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    WIth a fresh install then yes the %Temp% would be '<system drive letter>\Windows\Temp' the system drive letter is usually C: but on a dual+ boot or some other booting/multi-drive method it could be the next available letter, ie D, E, F etc. So it is better to use the %Temp% environmental variable to avoid possible problems.

16. Dubioza Kolektiv

Dubioza Kolektiv MDL Addicted

Dec 27, 2012
  17. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #4777 mxman2k, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    (OP)
    first time i seen MRP see a board that not have any DMI, SLIC or MSDM brand names to use!

A case for customtheme if a theme other than windows one is required. :D:D

The QT sees 'Acer' from the emulated SLIC.

18. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Sapphire Tech. LTD. only PC i can find under that 'name' is a mini PC series. :g:

They mainly seem to do Graphics cards...

19. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    MRP is at IT3 stage and almost ready to move onto RC :)

Tests so far are looking good. New SSD Tweak option working and the background apps switch if on RS5 the CU is 316+ is enabled again. :)

QT is at v91-test not a huge amount of changes mainly to some out put text parts.

All work is ongoing as always :p

20. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009