Multi-OEM/Retail Project {MRP} - Mk3

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by mxman2k, Oct 15, 2016.

1. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    It has many parts yes, this is where it can get very confusing, way back when it was created by SearchEngine {circa 2010~2014} [see original thread here] and then updated by The_Guardian {2014-2016} [see original thread here], it originally was one script with a few external programs, those was the days when things was so much easier.

Then Win 10 came along and really muddied the water.

The setacl x86/x64 is used to allow certain registry area's to be unlocked due to m$ locking them, such as on win10 RS3+ the 'ThisPC' context menu is locked so i unlock it to allow the 'Administrative Tools' menu to be used.

Alphawaves kindly re-wrote the Generic#.exe tools used in the project to prevent a major error occurring and crashing certain checks for the MSDM and SLIC operations, even when he was quite ill he made the time to fix the issue and i really thank him for his help as my attempt to work-around that issue is still present in the code just as a back up - if a new error occurs in the future.

The MRP3 folder is to house all the project parts so it is easier to tidy up when completed, or if a major error that aborts the project happens.

Sadly long gone are the days when a few lines of command script can do many things, m$ have certainly made sure of that, you have to have extra creative code to get around some silly restrictions, 32 bit API/WMIC limitations or recently the major changes in the W10 OS's, which can be a time consuming process.

I have learnt a lot since i took on the project in Oct 2016, more than i ever thought i would, it took me a few weeks/months to understand the internal workings of the code as at the time my coding skills was limited to say the least, i'm no professional now, a lot can still trip me up and i spend hours/days working out a solution.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    @tcntad , here is a revised 'Details view' script that appears to work ok on RS2+ (including the Dark Mode colors being unaffected) - on my tests at least on 20h1/2.

The script should set the 'Details' view for ALL explorer windows even 'ThisPC', also the 'GroupBy' setting for 'ThisPC' view is set as 'None' too.

It is far more expansive than before! -- Did i mention it could get complicated :p

As always test first on a non critical VM or PC. :)

As it is larger than the forum char limit had to attach as a txt file., remove the .txt part.

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Thats alot of code:D!
    I'll try it asap

4. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #6424 mxman2k, Oct 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    (OP)
    I tried to make it all win 10 OS workable from rs2 onward, but i cant guarantee it be good for all scenarios/hardware or other explorer tweaks used, hence the need to test on a vm etc first.

There are so many elements that work together that could alter something else such as the 'binary' elements are sensitive as i found out!!

On older os's below 10 i cant say it will work so may only have this as a win 10 option in mrp for the time being.

5. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Worked just fine for me on a fresh install over LAN

6. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Thanks for giving it a test :)

Now i know the details view work i will see about a multi-choice such as details , icons (small, large, extra large), list, content, tiles etc., it will be for ALL explorer windows, because to split into different or individual folder views would take ages to sort out and probably not be ideal.

So may just keep it simple.

7. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @mxman2k, very good job thanks bro still tireless as always :D:clap3:

8. Dubioza Kolektiv

Dubioza Kolektiv MDL Addicted

Dec 27, 2012
    I write the computer model name, I save it, but when I open MRPConfig there is nothing written. Why?

1.JPG 2.JPG

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Seems something wrong with it, i tried with or without a space, both model names didn't save in the ini file.

10. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Will check it out tomorrow when i get in from work, it seems a fault in the Creator, it maybe reached the next limit of options per page again....

For now you can edit the line in the .ini with your desired wording for now until i release a fix.

11. djsms

djsms MDL Novice

Feb 3, 2013
    When closing the Task Manager the problem persists. I mentioned it before.

12. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    MRPConfigCreator v35.1 has been uploaded, the 3rd post has also been updated with the temporary download link, {until next MRP release}, password and hashes.

Note it is the 3rd post ( Click Here ), the password does not have any spaces before, within, or at the end and is case sensitive.

Fixed: 'Computer Model Name' not being saved/reloaded.

13. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    As for the Task Manager doing weird things i am unsure why, as nothing within the project code touches that area and never has. :g:

14. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    MRP Progress Update...

Have added a checkbox option "[ ] Use Base Product Name" next to the 'Show User Data Entered' button on the General OS tab within the v36.0 MRPConfigCreator..

When ticked this will tell MRP to use the 'CS Base Product Name', however if it is found that the DMI/BIOS value is undefined or has invalid characters then MRP should revert to any 'user entered' value set, or the 'automatic' DMI found name if either of those options was used/enabled, failing those it will be set as blank to prevent errors.

If the Base Product Name is valid then it should override any other methods defined.

As always this is an experimental routine and may not always function as intended.

============================​

The explorer window's 'Details' view has not been added at this time, as I require more time to decide if a multi-choice version will be added or not, this is because there will be a lot of extra code and error checking needed for those other settings.

It may end up as being a single 'Details' view checkbox option to keep things simple. There may be other 'views' added at a later time when time arises.

15. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    After a few crashes because i missed off a vital ')' within a IF loop :oops: which has just took me 3 hours to find as it is so easy to miss!

The next MRP {v131+} will now process the 'CS Base Product Name [#03]' to see if it is valid or not when using the new option to 'Use Base Product Name'.

if that value is invalid/undefined then the routine will see if there is a valid bios/dmi 'SystemProductName' value available, MRP will now show 'voided/invalid' if not available, OR if a user entered model name is present it will attempt to use that.

The Base Product option will override the DMI and User entered values if the Base Product Name is available, if not then MRP will attempt to use the other values where present like it done before.

Edited log to show this part in action.
    Code:
    [MBINF] =============================================================
    [MBINF] =================[ Motherboard Information ]=================
    [MBINF] =============================================================
    [MBINF] #01 CS Product Name   : [FM2A88M-HD]
    [MBINF] #02 CS Model Name     : [FM2A88M-HD]
    [MBINF] #03 CS Base Product   : [FM2A88M-HD]
    [MBINF] #04 CS Vendor Name    : [ASUSTeK Computer INC.]
    [MBINF] #05 CS System Name    : [ASUSTeK Computer INC.]
    [MBINF] #06 Baseboard Name    : [AsusASRock]
    [MBINF] #08 BIOS or SLIC ID 1 : [_ASUS_ - 1072009]
    [MBINF] #09 SLIC Information  : [v2.1 - SLIC table with marker present]
    [MBINF] #11 MSDM Information  : [No MSDM Table Present]
    [MBINF] Chassis Type          : [Desktop {3}]
    [MBINF] PC System Type        : [Desktop {0x1}]
    [SYSPD] ===[ Model Name Processing Routine ]===
    [SYSPD] =======================================
    [SETMN] The 'CS Base Product Name' 'FM2A88M-HD' has been applied for the Computer's 'Model' Name. {Validated}
    [SETMN] Note: On some OS Languages this may not always translate/show correctly, use the 'ChangeModelName' script in the MRP's 'Optional' folder, if problems.

If the values are not able to be 'validated' or filtered for invalid characters for any reason the log will show '{Not Validated}' and the characters shown may not be 'unicode' compliant, but it should not crash the project now.

In the case where the BIOS/DMI or CS Base Product Name is not what you desire you can always use the script in the Optional folder of the MRP archive to change the Device's Model Name later.

16. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Need testing on those options?

17. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    @tcntad PM coming your way shortly :)

18. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009