Multi-OEM/Retail Project {MRP} - Mk3

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by mxman2k, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #6921 Enthousiast, Feb 10, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    MRP has no influence on the office build installed, all is explained.

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  3. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    As can be seen i have already started on the next release :), nothing to report at this moment as time and weather been against me so not been able to work on the project for a few days. :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Just added four new 'General OS' options (Advanced) :D

1. Add 'Run as administrator' right-click C/Text menu entry for .vbs scripts.
    2. Add 'Run as administrator' right-click C/Text menu entry for .js scripts.
    3. Add Install {Register} and Uninstall {Unregister} DLL files on C/Text Menus.
    4. Add Install {Register} and Uninstall {Unregister} OCX files on C/Text Menus.

The above should hopefully be OS Translated if possible, if that fails then they will be in US-English by default. Could not find any look up table for Register/Unregister so used Install/Uninstall respectively.

Set as 'Advanced' as not everyone will need those options.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    .Ocx works too but it is less used, but added as there can be the odd time it is needed.

The run as admin for .vb script files is quite useful, was one of my personal tweaks that i decided to add into mrp.

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I had no files ready to test it that fast :D dll i could find :D

7. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    I just renamed a txt file as ocx to test , it caused a error but i expected it as it was a non ocx file :D

My vbs scripts are usually needed to be run as admin, just saves me a lot of time.

8. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #6931 mxman2k, Feb 15, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    (OP)
    Just nipped on while on my break to mention that another option for w10 is being tested/in progress.

First attempt partly worked, however the new code routine seems to set it this time, but due its nature the os may not always allow it, it should also work on core editions.

More details later once more tests done.

EDIT:
    Sadly core/home editions the routine seems not to work, must be hardcoded in the os kernel that prevents any adjustments. The option does appear work on older os's and w10 pro and above.

9. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    The option was to prevent hardware device drivers from being forcefully downloaded/installed on w10 Home/Core Editions, but m$ have hard coded it to just get them regardless of the user's wishes. :( - i tried several ways, all failed on Core - works ok for w10 Pro and above, also for Vista/7/8.x kernels.

So have re-edited and added that as a advanced General OS option on the [Extras] tab, this sets the hardware device drivers setting to Off/No which seems to be respected for w10 Pro and above and Vista/7/8.x kernels, note that this does not use any policy edits and so is easy reversible via the OS's 'System Properties --> Hardware --> Device Installation Settings' GUI.

It will be auto disabled on w10 when using the other 'Disable Driver Searching' option as it is part of that routine, less the policy parts, also on any w10 Core/Home Edition it will be auto disabled.

I have hardened the 'Disable Driver Searching' routine and it should prevent ANY drivers, but there may be some specific ones such as for 'Graphics Cards' because those *may* get force downloaded/installed by m$ design.

This is why there are two similar options, the one on the Extra's tab is for all supported OS's/Editions and does not involve any policy edits which can cause a few headaches when reversing the changes!

A side note that on w10 Core/Home using the set Metered option does at least slow down the flood of driver updates, not fully prevent them.

The Metered option is set for Wi-Fi, LAN and mobile data too!

If you wish to prevent/control WU downloads/drivers, there are other MDL applications that can help...

Such as Sledgehammer , WUMT etc.

MRP v135 is at TC8 stage and is now progressing nicely -- after a few early crashes when those extra or missing pesky missing " {quote marks} glitches was sneaking in the code. :oops:

10. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Had a bit of spare time and so worked on the MRP Branding tool this morning :) -- (now at v2.4)

It is quite stable and no reports of weird effects or crashes. :)

I will most likely release this one soon as i know a few would like to test this out.

Some Server OS's are not supported due to the nature of how they react to being messed about with.

There may be the odd bug i have overlooked but they should not cause any major problems.

11. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Just a heads up as I been busy for a few days with work, MRP is still progressing and is at TC10 stage now...

Testing something new - once it is known working and no problems or any adjustments required to make it function with no side effects then i will mention what it is, i know it could be useful to quite a few users of MRP. :)

12. Dubioza Kolektiv

Dubioza Kolektiv MDL Addicted

Dec 27, 2012
  13. Dubioza Kolektiv

Dec 27, 2012
  14. Dubioza Kolektiv

Dec 27, 2012
  15. Dubioza Kolektiv

Dec 27, 2012
  16. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    The routine i was mentioning/testing is to remove ALL apps/games etc, however it will NOT remove the Store, Calculator, Edge, but it DOES remove everything else!

Store retained as it can be a pain to reinstall, Calculator - well it is useful :D, Edge mainly because it is stubborn and refused to budge so left it alone, it is however ideal to use to obtain your favorite browser. ;)

Cortana is gone too -- so for those older OS's that require this 'assistant' to be present for the 'Search' to work then restoring it later can be quite a hassle, i tried and it is certainly not easy.

So *IF* i do add it as a W10 Apps option it will be a 'advanced' one and many warnings about what could happen on older than 20h1 OS's, on 20h1 and later Cortana and Search are fully separated again so no problems.

The user will need to think about if you wish to use this option, because you may need Cortana and the full XBox stuff for your requirements later...

When selected this option will set all other App removal ones to disabled within MRP as this routine does them all, those shovel-ware games included.

Note that the 'Feedback Hub' is also removed so if you are a active insider user then you will not be able to use that app!

When a new user is created on the system the removed apps do not return, that could change on any later CU installed, repair installation or upgrade to next build...

The 'Your Phone' is still shown within the PC Settings but it did not operate, so if you need that Phone app - DO NOT USE this new option...

Below RS2 this option will be auto disabled as Powershell commands used are not fully compliant.

I am still debating if to add this option as it quite extensive and it could potentially give some grief at a later stage...

Majority of 'System' required apps are left alone such as 'ExperienceHost' and others like it to prevent glitches with the Start Menu which is fussy even without any tweaks!

Note: Trying to restore apps removed will most likely fail via the usual Powershell method, you may need to reinstall via Appx Packages etc, but that is beyond the scope of MRP, so don't ask! :p

Method does NOT use DISM, the routine is all Powershell - which is why it can add a bit of time before you get to the User OOBE part where you enter the Username etc, that is if you use this, or any of the App removal options in MRP's Creator.

If you are interested in this option simply let me know by a simple post to say you would like this option added, or if you're shy, just click like on this post. - - If there is a lot of likes on this post i will assume that it is one to be added.

Please make sure you understand the use of what this option does *if* it is added and you select to use it, then that is YOUR choice -- there will be NO revert script!!

Other News:
    MRP 135 is at RC1 stage now and even if this option is not added it is on course for release early March.

Query Tool v113 is at RC1 stage too... Nothing major added just a few tweaks to the code to cover later builds etc.