Multi OEM/Retail Project

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by The_Guardian, Nov 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Well Im not trying to install this project with a server..

Im using Server 2012 to deploy (Install over network) Windows (7, 10) to other computers. Its using PXE.
    Basically Im using network boot on clients I wish to install Windows on, the server responds and sends proper packages.

2. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    That's good to hear, and thanks for your great contribution!
    You really put your soul into this, and it's greatly appreciated :flowers2:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    #2363 The_Guardian, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    (OP)
    You will need to add the project to your windows image before deployment. I recommend running the query tool first on a station just to make sure there will be no problems. Its up to you though...

4. twiztidwolf

twiztidwolf MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2009
    As The_Guardian said you will need to put it in the windows image. I'm sure you know how to do it but if needed, you would mount whatever WIM file/proper index and put the scripts folder under Windows/Setup. It is the same place the $OEM$ folder puts during the install.

5. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Well alrighty then. I'll re do it again, thanks.

6. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    #2366 The_Guardian, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    (OP)
    Thanks to Mr.X for testing the retail key activation. I need to add code if retail.txt present then uninstall key first then proceed. I will do this later today. I have physical therapy plus got some running around to do today but I will get to it. ;)

Update: I added corrections to avoid the above issue described. Need to test and let Mr.X test before updating first post. I want to make sure this is addressed correctly before going public.

7. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    Sent to Mr.X for testing since I dont have time to test myself until this evening. If all goes good I will update first post either tonight or tomorrow. Thanks Mr.X for helping me test. :worthy:

Off to physical therapy....

8. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    #2368 The_Guardian, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    (OP)
    Sorry for taking so long to get back on the update. I fixed the retail key if retail.txt file is present. Now any keys are cleared before applying. This should resolve that issue. I also found out if using kms a logoff is required in order to save login background oem image correctly. So remember if you for some odd reason decide to use kms then logoff and oem login background image will stay put after multiple restarts and shutdowns. System must be activated first before customization's hold. I have a few beta testing this now and if all goes as planned maybe tomorrow I can update first post. I am trying to make sure no bugs arise from additional code. Better to double check before releasing. :tea:

9. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @ The Guardian thanks dude for your big job and dedication congrats :):worthy:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    #2370 The_Guardian, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    (OP)
    I am only waiting for feedback from testers. If good then I will update first post. I have done my part. lol

Update: So far seems everything is working like it should. Neither I nor anyone could reproduce BALTAGY Lavono theme issue as not being saved or applied. I regret none of us can reproduce your issue BALTAGY. I will upload for all to enjoy this evening. Stay tuned...

11. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    Those that use kms for activation purposes the login screen will be kicked out on shutdown (not restart). Once boot sector runs then see's kms it will revert back to default windows login image. This isnt the case for a legit machine who activation is legit (not kms related). I am done looking into the kms and branding issue. If you want to customize then have a legit machine and the project will work as described. Or use windows 7. lol I am going to update first post. Stay tuned...

12. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    I'm much more interested in auto-activation than anything else btw so I'm fine with your project so far. Damn M$ destroying people's creativity lol

13. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    #2373 The_Guardian, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    (OP)
    First post updated 9-19-2016. See change log for details.

Fixed pic on first post so now it shows correctly. Guess the other image host is a banned host here at mdl.

14. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Mr The_Guardian, chapeau
    :worthy::cool::clap:

Please go to party. You earned a trailer full of Coronas. :biggrin::clap:

15. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Regarding my issue above with using this project on a Windows (Deployment) Server based on Server 2012 R2..
    It works just fine in vmware with applying OEM-branding but my main pc wont apply it..

Of course its in Windows\Setup. There's no project.log either.

16. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    #2376 The_Guardian, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    (OP)
    If no log file within the log directory either then it means oobe is disabled and you will need to add pid.txt file (with install key) to enable oobe mode again. Its mentioned in the txt files of the project. :eek:

17. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    How can OOBE be disabled when its ran from same server and installing same OS and it works in vmware?
    This is weird to me :p

18. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    Its because windows OS's now searches for oem and if oem (not all but most) will disable oobe mode. Your not installing on server but workstations thus each workstation will be queried and if it meets all requirements for oem then oobe is disabled. Either way, the trick is to include pid txt file with install key (installs only, not activated). You can specify the version as well with a ei.cfg. Just make sure install key and version matches. You can find install keys all day long on google.

19. puffyduff

puffyduff MDL Member

Sep 22, 2016
    @The_Guardian

WinTel which removes telemetry is not a code, it's a poem! Music to my ears.
    Dude you totally rock. Get yourself a beer.

Hypothetical question:
    Do you think it's achievable to block ANY and ALL connections between a Win7 PC and Microsoft?

20. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    You really need to check the win10 telemetry thread because some apps send out data. I do not address the apps because some user's use them. I only address system telemetry. Telemetry has been in effect since xp days. This is nothing new, just more of it in newer OS's.

The WinTel.cmd works on all project supported OS's. ;)