MusNotification.exe = Annoying On A Whole New Level

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by dobbelina, Sep 16, 2016.

1. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    #1 dobbelina, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. dobbelina

Apr 2, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. qwerty12

qwerty12 MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2010
    #4 qwerty12, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    Yes (hopefully)! Let me know if you run into problems :)

Yep, you must click the notification (either directly when it's displayed on screen or from the Action Center) for WUMT to start.
    If you want WUMT to start automatically whenever an update notification is displayed, I guess the code could be modified to do so, but since WUMT requires elevation and whatever displays the notification is running with a restricted token, having a UAC notification displaying at random times would be just as annoying as the awful modal one IMO...

Yeah, since it pretty much tricks MNUX into always showing the toast notification instead of the god-awful modal notification, I didn't bother looking at how MNUX starts Settings when Get updates is clicked from the notification that takes over the screen

4. dobbelina

Apr 2, 2009
    That's exactly how I want it, perfect!
    Getting rid of the modal notification is super, but WUMT will start with "normal toast"
    update notifications as well right?
    (Gonna try this out now)

5. dobbelina

Apr 2, 2009
    #7 dobbelina, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  6. qwerty12

qwerty12 MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2010
    Ah, thanks. I personally didn't bother double-quoting the program path because ShellExecute and co seem to be smart enough to run WUMT without needing it, but I see it can't hurt...

Hmm, is the hook being loaded? One security software I tried once upon a time would, without fail, cause a crash in MNUX.exe when an AppVerifier DLL was loaded into a process. You can check if the hook is active by running %SystemRoot%\system32\MusNotificationUX.exe Dialog_DownloadAvailable (don't wrap Dialog_DownloadAvailable in quotes) - if you get the awful accent-coloured modal dialog instead of a toast notification, make sure %SystemRoot%\System32\MusNotificationUxDownloadDialogRemover.dll exists and it's from the x64 folder, and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\MusNotificationUx.exe has the GlobalFlag, VerifierDlls and VerifierFlags values inside.

If the hook is being loaded, does the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\wumt-qwerty12-mdl-mux-hk exist? If so, delete it - only HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\wumt-qwerty12-mdl-mux-hk should exist, or otherwise the hook will bail out. Also: does reg query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\wumt-qwerty12-mdl-mux-hk succeed as a non-elevated user? The hook makes sure the key can be opened successfully by MNUX.exe before it changes the protocol

7. dobbelina

Apr 2, 2009
    #9 dobbelina, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    (OP)