Noob Question: Why OEM vs retail/corporate disc?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by vistadude, May 6, 2009.

1. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Okay, this is probably stupid, but I had to ask:

Why do so many people want to make an oem disc vs a regular retail or enterprise disc? The regular disc works on any computer and doesn't have the lame logos or install restrictions, while the oem does. I'm thinking, you can't lend the oem disc to your friend or can't use for a new pc with a different manufacturer, but the normal one you can. So why so many people want to create an oem disc vs a regular?

Thanks. :D

2. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    #2 dobbelina, May 6, 2009
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
    OEM discs don't have any install restrictions, on the contrary, they are much
    better than retail disks.
    Why ?
    Because they don't need to be validated IF installed on an OEM computer.
    It's like like corporate vlk, but thru bios kinda way.
    You will never have problems with validating, while the corporate "student serials" and alike slowly but surely is being clamped down by MS.
    Most of this forum is dedicated into helping users modifying bios accepting OEM.
    It's the way to go.
    WGA crack is for winners ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Two issues

One issue is price: retail can cost significantly more. The other issue is that in some cases the OEM machine requires dedicated files/drivers not found on retail discs. Workarounds exist but are, in the least, a hassle. So, in the end, you either tolerate logos or do battle with an OEM OS/BIOS.

I should add that I have not used OEM hard- or software for many years so there are, perhaps, other issues that I am not aware of.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    I don't use OEM hardware either, only the OEM slp 1.0 :D

5. unwanted

unwanted MDL Junior Member

May 4, 2008
    Because they are very lazy to follow the activation procedure. :)

6. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Oh I get it now. Thanks. :)

7. oreo27

oreo27 MDL Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Yeah, I sort of get it too.

Haven't done BIOS modding yet because I'm still using an old VLK from way back.

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007

OK as long as it is still working for you leave your bios untouched, but you never know how long we can do bios mods for:p

9. China4Ever

China4Ever Bios Mod.

Apr 25, 2007
    What you're saying is partially true and I'm explaining to you why. Retail and oem discs have similar product key activation so, under this point of view, no differences at all. Regarding lame logos, like you called them, you're wrong because you can do an OEM installation without adding anything else than a retail disc.
    The reason many users prefer OEM disc is for obvious reasons, that is, to use their modded bios or native SLIC bios to easily activate their own OEM installation, even in off-line mode (not possible with a retail disc). That's all.

Have you ever been wonder why people like so much this forum and every days is asking for a modded bios ? The answer is inside the question. ;)

10. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    SLP and XP isn't going away..Depending how well received the win7 is may determine how hard M$ checks into bios mods. Vista has been a bit of a dud in sales, not really worth the research and countermeasures for activation fraud yet..IMHO.:D:p

11. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
  12. negotiator

negotiator MDL Novice

Jun 28, 2009
    I just started to read about this OEM topic here since a couple of days, but - please correct me if I'm wrong - can't I just use a retail disc to install the operating system and apply the OEM cert afterwards?
    If so, what is the issue about building an OEM disc which only runs on certain hardware, apart from being activated immediately?

Regards
    negotiator

13. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    XP uses the OEMBIOS files, Vista uses a cert. We are talking about XP here.

4 OEMBIOS, pidgen.dll, and DPCDLL,DLL are necessary to change, and sometimes make life difficult. The serials necessary for VLK are mostly gone.

There is no hardware limitation on the OEM disc. The only difference is how it is activated, and how it is validated. It is common ignorance to assume that OEM xp will only work on OEM hardware, this is absolute bunk...some Discs are bios locked, but this does not apply here.

clarification:

You need SLP string in bios for OEM activation

XP VLK/XP OEM have exactly the same functionality. VLK validation blocked, OEM is not..

OEM Activation files present on install..OS ACtivates and validates immediatly with SLP string in bios

OEM Activation fies not present on install..Many more files need change, and success less certain.

Get it???
    See the benefits now????

any more questions or comments....:D

14. negotiator

negotiator MDL Novice

Jun 28, 2009
    Thanks for clarification. I haven't touched on XP activation deeply, I was first of all starting to learn how it works for Win 2008 and Vista.

Negotiator

15. johnnygers

johnnygers MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2008
    #15 johnnygers, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
    EDIT: Thank you I also found this useful, as I have tried many other methods that failed...